Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 281 of 552
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    One quick reminder to people new to this thread:

See page 3 for a detailed list of screenshots.

Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I'm particularly interested in playing ANY sound I desire when I get mail from certain people.

You already can. It's just that the sound needs to be in one of the Library/Sounds folders. For the longest time I used a clip from TNG of Worf saying, "Captain... incoming message." I'll examine the prefs anyway, though.

Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The question is: why would you add files or folders in the toolbar as opposed to the sidebar? The lack of ability to do this is probably a function of the (now proper) CFToolbar. I like how Panther clearly differentiates the locations from the tools in the Finder.

Agreed. I actually do prefer keeping my aliases on the left rather than above. I was just trying to point out that the functionality is indeed gone.
  • Reply 282 of 552
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Do you folks that were talking about Jaguar's screen lock on page 7 or so, realize that -any- valid username and password will unlock the screensaver/screenlock and let you onto the system?

I mean if you are Jane Doe and lock your screen, Fred Smith can come along (if he's a user on that Mac) and type his info in and get on, seeing all her apps and opened docs and all folders.

Obviously any hands on hacker can bypass security but should not the system at least try to prevent this? Of what use then is locking users out of seeing the contents of other user folders from casual snooping?

Just wait until she goes to lunch, she think's she's reasonably secure, you can email her boss "I quit" and chat with her husband "I want a divorce", and buy 125 new albums on iTunes, then when done just activate screensaver/lock again. See? That's unacceptable.

It should prohibit unlocking the screen unless it's the active user's account. And admins should get a logout button for the password screen but not see open apps/files.

Now to bring this on topic, is this fixed in Panther?

Does using any valid username and password for that system bypass the screenlock and display the previous (current, i.e. screenlock intitator's) user's stuff?
  • Reply 283 of 552
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Are you able to send/receive faxes if your phoneline is connected to an airport [extreme] basestation ???

or does it have to be direct to your computer?

• Reply 284 of 552
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

You already can. It's just that the sound needs to be in one of the Library/Sounds folders. For the longest time I used a clip from TNG of Worf saying, "Captain... incoming message." I'll examine the prefs anyway, though.

I believe he meant having sound A play for mail incoming from person 1, sound B for person 2, etc, etc.

Which of course you can do with Rules, right now...

Set up a rule that triggers on the From field, with that person's email (or name).

Have it play a sound you pick from the list.

Voila.
  • Reply 285 of 552
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Okay this is minor stuff, but we're into 10.3 and we still can't make the scroll bar (the blue thing on the right side of any window) look smooth?

It still has this tiled appearance which looks unfinished or cheap.

BTW, can one finally change the font size/type of the menu bar in Panther?
  • Reply 286 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Like BuonRotto, I'd love to see the Cocoa Font & Color Panels too, if there's any additions.
  • Reply 287 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [dp]
  • Reply 288 of 552
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Okay this is minor stuff, but we're into 10.3 and we still can't make the scroll bar (the blue thing on the right side of any window) look smooth?

It still has this tiled appearance which looks unfinished or cheap.

That is definitely an intentional effect.

Notice how the bright/dark spots don't move when scrolled. It's not a case of them using an incorrectly tiled image for the tiling. That's them having fun with alpha transparency, obstensibly to indicate feedback to the user that the scrollbar is moving (If I were to guess at a reason aside from cheap Aqua tricks)...
  • Reply 289 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    So the Network Utility is still:

Info

Ping

Netstat

Lookup

Traceroute

Whois

Finger and

Port Scan?

I guess too that the tabs must be gone in favor of the new tab button thingies. That will be a nice improvement to that app.
  • Reply 290 of 552
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Are these damn little "hacks" like TinkerTook and TransparentDock and CockTail still necessary to access BASIC stuff that should be in General? Like arrows on both ends of the scroll bar, controlling AA text, menu text size, and Dock stuff? I mean ****in A man, ****in A. Why can't they just add the options for arrows at both ends into General Prefs, if the option is ALREADY THERE but just hidden. Menu Master would nice to integrate but I can't ever see Apple doing that. But the only ONLY reason I installed Menu Master was to make new folders with Cmd-N!!!!!!! Hello we make new folders more than opening the home folder! An alias takes care of that! Goddamn. And Cmd-H in Photoshop is nice too. This whole Finder as a "Browser" or "Explorer" if you will is retarded.
  • Reply 291 of 552
    c47c47 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

I checked out the link, and it looks like it should work with Win 2000 server. I am calling my IT guy this AM to see what he says. Thanks!!

Beeke, Panther can do both PPTP and IPSEC VPN connections in the Internet Connection app.

You'll be able to VPN to either Windows 2000 or industry standard VPN systems no problem!

Tell your IT guy "we can do that".

Things a looking good here for road warriors.
  • Reply 292 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

damn ?****in A man, ****in A. ?!!!!!!! ?Goddamn. ?retarded.

must? take? Valium.
  • Reply 293 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

...rant...

Why can't they just add the options for arrows at both ends into General Prefs, if the option is ALREADY THERE but just hidden.

...rant...

That is in the General Prefs pane, I was happy to find that myself. It was the only reason I had TinkerTool installed on my Jag system.
  • Reply 294 of 552
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

That is in the General Prefs pane, I was happy to find that myself. It was the only reason I had TinkerTool installed on my Jag system.

There is no General Prefs in Panther. There is an Appearance pane, but it does not have an option to put BOTH scroll arrows at BOTH ends. You choose either both at one end, or one at each end.
  • Reply 295 of 552
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

????

http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/appear.png
  • Reply 296 of 552
    Quote:

What? Not in my build of Panther.

Anyhow, I just took a bunch of pics. I'll post 'em tomorrow -- too tired to fool with it now.
  • Reply 297 of 552
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Anyone...

In the new threading options in Mail, does it thread your replies that are now in the sent folder?

Anyone want to show some screenshots?

How about screenshots of the new junk filter preferences? Or all preferences in Mail.app?

BZ
  • Reply 298 of 552
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    A request that I have for Panther: a contextual menu for pictures specifically that allows you to "set as desktop" from within the finder. Like Windows has... It would come in very handy for me, and for many others, I reckon, who often change their desktops.
  • Reply 299 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

And Cmd-H in Photoshop is nice too.

Is that sentence in any way releated to the rest of the post?
  • Reply 300 of 552
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Assorted Goods

Cocoa Font Panel

Force Quit note the updated "not responding" part

iDisk question pops up after entering iDisk info in System Prefs

FontBook's new icon

ColorSync Utility

It looks like the interface has gotten a nice update with a proper toolbar and two new panes.

ColorSync Utility - About Box

ColorSync Utility - First Aid

ColorSync Utility - Devices

ColorSync Utility - Filters, Color

ColorSync Utility - Filters, defaults

ColorSync Utility - Filters, domains

ColorSync Utility - Filters, images

ColorSync Utility - Preferences

ColorSync Utility - Profile

Finder

Finder - Connect To Server The Browse button takes you to a regular Finder window with the Network selected. Available servers are listed there as regular icons.

Finder - browsing a server

Finder - "Get Info" on the FTP Server Still can't write to the server.

Finder - new server icon

Mail

Mail - About Box

Mail - New Viewer

Mail - New Viewer, customize toolbar

Mail - Preferences, general

Mail - Preferences, general, sound menu

Mail - Preferences, junk

Mail - Preferences, junk, advanced

Mail - Preferences, signatures

Mail - Preferences, viewing

System Preferences

System Preferences - Exposé

System Preferences - International, input menu

System Preferences - International, input menu, options finally no more OS8-style graphics!

System Preferences - Print & Fax, fax

System Preferences - Network, status

System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP

System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP, config IPv6 auto

System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP, config IPv6 manual

System Preferences - Network, proxies

System Preferences - Network, ethernet, automatic

System Preferences - Network, ethernet, manual