Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 341 of 552
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

search results.

want to see them.

http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn003.jpg

http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn004.jpg

[edit by Brad: large inline images = evil]
  • Reply 342 of 552
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The HDs (top left). They aren't placed by alphabetical order.

This left side column, we can place items in any order we want? I noticed the user folders are in Aphabetical order but the Drivers aren't.
  • Reply 343 of 552
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I don't know, you tell me

(gimme a sec, I'm uploading it )

ok, so it was like 45 min... heh sorry

When I have used Force Quit the MENU bar turns the color of my desktop image: is there a way to either Hide the MENU bar or change its color?

if not then that is a request for the upcoming OS

also:

I would LOVE to be able to change the color of the background in Columns view.

anybody know how to do that? any progz that do that?

or make the background in Columns view transparent or semi-transparent!!

any ideas?
  • Reply 344 of 552
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn003.jpg

[edit by Brad: large inline images = evil]

thank you!
  • Reply 345 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

This left side column, we can place items in any order we want? I noticed the user folders are in Aphabetical order but the Drivers aren't.

I don't know about the drives. I assume they put the computer, the network, your iDisk, then any mounted drive in the order it's mounted. But you can add, subtract and rearrange the other stuff under the divider to your heart's content. It is the new "Favorites" folder in essence.

Is there no "recent items" available in the open/save dialogs?
  • Reply 346 of 552
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Oh, and one little thing from page 3 that I never got around to addressing:

This is not correct. I removed the flexible space and I *still* can't add regular files and folders to the toolbar. Care to point out anything I might be missing?

Sorry for getting back to ya late. I've been busy. Drag a regular file or folder between the action button and the folder views, or anywhere that there is a gap. DOing this will let you now drag that icon anywhere. When you see the FLEXIBLE SPACE box appear that means that now you can add that folder or file up there.
  • Reply 347 of 552
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I don't know about the drives. I assume they put the computer, the network, your iDisk, then any mounted drive in the order it's mounted. But you can add, subtract and rearrange the other stuff under the divider to your heart's content. It is the new "Favorites" folder in essence.

Is there no "recent items" available in the open/save dialogs?

You can rearrange all, but can't delete from the drives. Sucks if you don't use iDisk.
  • Reply 348 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

You can rearrange all, but can't delete from the drives. Sucks if you don't use iDisk.

Yeah, really. I don't have .mac, like 6.5 MILLION other OS X users, and I don't want it staring me, taking up space. You would think that for an OPTIONAL service they would make that icon OPTIONAL! I mean it's used by what? 7% of OS X users? GRRR
  • Reply 349 of 552
    Is it true that the copying and pasting of custom icons from "Get Info" windows is broken in Panther? If this is the case it will be disastrous for the Macintosh GUI community. One can only hope that it's just another item that hasn't yet been implemented.
  • Reply 350 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

...snip...I toyed around with the 'Full Keyboard Access' a little bit. It doesn't seem to be implemented at all. At first I tried simply re-mapping the New Folder command to command - n. That didn't work, so I thought it might just not be able to override pre-existing commands. So I tried it with some obscure combination, and it still didn't work. I then tried other commands, and other key combinations, and nothing seemed to work. I don't think it's implemented yet....snip...

Heh, today I went to make a new folder, and typed command-shift-n. Guess what I got. A new window. I typed command-n, and got my new folder. I guess it does work, but it just needs a restart of the app. I just thought you would be interested.

Now if only it could execute applescripts, too, we'd be in perfect shape! Since you need to enter in a Menu command, it's kinda limiting. Oh well.
  • Reply 351 of 552
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

Are you able to send/receive faxes if your phoneline is connected to an airport [extreme] basestation ???

or does it have to be direct to your computer?

???
  • Reply 352 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Wingnut

Is it true that the copying and pasting of custom icons from "Get Info" windows is broken in Panther?

This was also broken for a VERY long time in the Jaguar developer builds. Did it work in the GM build?
  • Reply 353 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

This was also broken for a VERY long time in the Jaguar developer builds. Did it work in the GM build?

Icon copying and pasting works in Jaguar... but in Panther Developer Preview it seems you can't even select icons in the "Get Info" window.
  • Reply 354 of 552
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    thats what he is saying... it was broken in the jag preview, but it works in the jag final version... so don't get worked up over it until you see it missing in the final version of panther...
  • Reply 355 of 552
    jkbjkb Posts: 18member
    Yes, you can cut and paste icons in the Get Info window in the Finder. It just seems like you can't as Apple has done away with the box outline that shows up when you click on the icon. I had a chance to play around with a friend's Panther box and that is one of the things I tried out.

jkb
  • Reply 356 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by jkb

Yes, you can cut and paste icons in the Get Info window in the Finder. It just seems like you can't as Apple has done away with the box outline that shows up when you click on the icon.

Oh, that's great, thanks. I was worried for a moment there...
  • Reply 357 of 552
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Heh, today I went to make a new folder, and typed command-shift-n. Guess what I got. A new window. I typed command-n, and got my new folder. I guess it does work, but it just needs a restart of the app. I just thought you would be interested.

You are awesome. Life is awesome.
  • Reply 358 of 552
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Yes, any order you want. For both the upper and the lower panes.
  • Reply 359 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Did I read that correctly? Command-N now creates a new folder in the Panther Finder? That is damn good news if true, I must say.
  • Reply 360 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No I think the sub-thread is that the shortcuts were re-mapped in the keyboard prefs pane from the default shortcuts to having command-n create a new folder, and option-command-n open a new window. The changes didn't take affect until the computer was restarted though.