When will we get Aluminum Displays?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Aluminum or plastic, I don't care. I'm sure they'll look great regardless.

BUT, please Apple, design the damn things so my mouse doesn't have to make the 4-inch jump between monitors. An edge as thick as the PowerBooks will do nicely. Thank you.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    That's nice or dual display setups, but I think that a nice neutral bezel, relatively thick might actually be a good thing for a desktop since it frames the window and minimizes background distraction.

I wonder if it would be possible to put two DVI/ADC plugs on a SINGLE display and make a pana-wide 2.35:1 display ???

Something like 30" 2650x1200 or thereabouts, do you think people in the market for 2 separate 20+ displays would shell out for a single of that size? Slightly less overall pixels, but I find it better to have one large display than 2 smaller ones.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Something like 30" 2650x1200 or thereabouts, do you think people in the market for 2 separate 20+ displays would shell out for a single of that size?

Heck yes. I'd like something more like 2800x1400 or so, but if they could sell that for the price of 2 20"s ($2600) I'd buy one for sure.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

First of all, it's a flat panel...HOW "radical" can it get, in terms of the basic look/style?

I remember last time I visited Disneyland (or was it disney world... i forget), while in the line for Space mountain i remember seeing something that really intrigued me.

While waiting in line, there is a painted mural behind several panes of glass (or plastic... hard to be sure). These panes of glass had the ability to, transfor themselves into LCD displays. When converted, they were totally opaque (no longer could you see through them anymore).

What was nice about this was the fact that the picture went to the complete edge of each square. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, that would make for a REALLY nice display."

That was over 6 years ago. Surely, whatever technology being used there would have come down in price since then.

Imagine, Apple shipping a display that (when turned off) looked like a sheet of glass, but when turned on, displayed an image which went to the very edge.

Now, imagine an arm clinging to the left, or right edge, which of-course had the maneuverability of the LCD iMac's display.

This display would be an engineering marvel and a thing of beauty.

Has anybody seen the thing at Space mountain thing that I'm talking about?

I'm a bit nervous because I ordered a g5 early this week along with an iSight and a 23" Cinema display. The Cinema display and iSight are shipping now. What if they release a new cinema display when they finally ship the G5... I'll be pissed off.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Can you cancel your order on the 23"? Maybe it's not too late?
  • Reply 26 of 91
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You guys remember that conceptual 3D animation of the "new G5 and monitor" that was linked up in one of these threads recently? Well of course the G5 turned out to look nothing like what was presented (I don't think that was the intent really, to say "this is it!") but that monitor concept was SLICK.

Basically a pane of glass that you can see through when the monitor was off, but offers opaque imagery when it's on. Of course something like that would be easy to break / hugely expensive, but if Apple could somehow reduce the chassis of the next line of monitors that would be the best improvement they could make other than being a bit better spec-wise maybe.

The comment about the 4" gap between screens mentioned earlier is the main reason I won't buy two monitors right now. I'd rather have 1 big-un. Problem is, the big-un doesn't have the picture quality of the 20", so that's really my only alternative right now. Not a bad one though.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I hear what you are saying Matsu but the G5 enclosure is a big fat statement....PRO. All those Pixar Maya sickos have at least two monitors and the present bezel width is just too wide. For the high end market Ive is saying "welcome to the new Brutalism" and the monitors (and keys and mouse) must follow.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    [EDIT: delete post...haha...I posted in the wrong thread! Sorry!]
  • Reply 29 of 91
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Yikes, someone I know passed this photo on. Take it with a grain of salt...

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/outsider/G5LCDfront.jpg

[edit by Amorph: Please thumbnail that thing]
  • Reply 30 of 91
    I could live with that, although the mesh underbody seems a little bit gratuitous, as from the front angle it doesn't seem to do anything. Apple, IMO, would never just 'add' a piece of metal just to match the G5. Regardless, the edges are smaller than the current displays, and that's what I want most. Nice pic, BTW.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Yeah...

That's called "taking an Apple studio shot of the G5 with the black background and doctoring it up in Photoshop with a fake screen and obvious mesh accents...".

• Reply 32 of 91
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    heheh. Well, entirely possible the original artist meant it strictly as a conceptual thing for us / Apple to look at. The screen edges are better than what we have but I'd say that's the ONLY thing that's better about this design.

• Reply 33 of 91
    coscos Posts: 99member
    I did a second look of the cinema display used in the G5 promo video and there is a definate difference between the image they display on their web site:

and the video footage shown towards the end (here) http://www.apple.com/powermac/video/introvideo480.html

Specifically, it looks like there are buttons on either side of display (which aren't shown in the image above). Secondly, it definately looks as if the pinstripes were replaced by metal which is framing the display encased in transparent plastic. Essentially, it looks like its the same display but with 2 new buttons and metal rather than pinstripes.

I ordered the Dual processor G5 and a 23" cinema display a couple days after the G5 was announced. The G5 is on back order but Fed Ex put a note on my door yesterday saying that my cinema display has arrived. (I wasn't there for the delivery yesterday, so I'm having my wife stay home to get it when they make a second attempt)

I'm hoping that they gave me the newer model. If they didn't I'm going to keep it boxed up until the new ones arrive and I'll swap it out at my local Apple store. If it is a new monitor, I'll unbox it and get photos for all to see tonight.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    It sure does look like there are not any pinstripes, but that is just because the whole room is black. See when they zoom in to show the application oppening you can see the pinstripes

And even if there was a new model without pinstripes you probably could not get one now.

All this talk about seeing a differnt color mouse and keyboard and pinstripe-less displays in a movie showing a new Apple product is nonsense. Apple would never do that, you guys should know that
  • Reply 35 of 91
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/03displays.html

The displays have obviously changed at some point. The stripes are certainly gone.

Here is a scaled down version of the PR photo. They look as though they match the G5 just smashingly.

http://www.dfcreative.com/display.jpg

[ edit by Amorph: Please scale it down a bit farther, por favor ].

Yummy
  • Reply 36 of 91
    yes, that is the same photo I showed everyone at the beginging of this thread.

It definatley looks like there are no pinstripes. But that can just be a photo wierdality
  • Reply 37 of 91
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

yes, that is the same photo I showed everyone at the beginging of this thread.

It definatley looks like there are no pinstripes. But that can just be a photo wierdality

You sure it was in this thread...? I don't seen any post except the one with the PS launching
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

You sure it was in this thread...? I don't seen any post except the one with the PS launching

Hmmmm... Must have been in another display thread. I know i mentioned that picture somewhere though, becase it definitely looks like there are now pinstripes

EDIT - Here is the other thread in Current Hardware http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=26908
  • Reply 39 of 91
    I was just at the Apple store yesterday, and I have a few comments:

The 17"s, 20"s, and 23"s at the store all had stripes on them. They also had two buttons on them - on the left and on the right; the left launched the Displays control panel and the right was a power button.

These pictures have probably been "enhanced"; in addition, from some angles I could imagine it would be hard to see the stripes on camera.

I don't think anything has changed at this point in time; however, displays *are* in line for an update at some point - the magic 8 ball says so.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Ok. Watched the video again, and the displays do look distinctivly different. (Other than when they zoom in when photoshop is bouncing) I would think if they had stripes in the video it would be more noticeable...