When will we get Aluminum Displays?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    skyweirskyweir Posts: 13member
    I agree the current displays are beautiful and functional. However, in Panther the stripes have been toned down considerably. Would Apple update their range to reflect that?

Also, I may have missed this in an earlier part of this thread, (excuse me for my laziness) but the current displays only have USB 1.1. At the very least would Apple bring out new displays to address this disparity with the G5?
  • Reply 42 of 91
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    UHG. I started a topic called "Pinstripeless Displays?" Last week. There's images from apple that look like they're lacking pinstripes... however... no one has one or has seen one in person. considering all current hardware lacks pinstripes I would think the screen would follow suit soon.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    coscos Posts: 99member
    I just called Apple's PR rep for Apple's displays.

She said that she does "believe" that the displays experienced a slight makover which included the omition of the pinstripes. These revisions included a grey metalic looking edge. However, the technology within the display is the same as the last model (which shipped with stripes.)

I asked her, "Does that mean that if someone were to buy a new display now, would that mean that they would be getting these new models?

She said "yes".

So YES, these are new displays and YES they are shipping now.

Download the high-res photo here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/03displays.html
  • Reply 44 of 91
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    well I have a "Take One" with Apple Displays and they are all the same pictures that are on the PR site right now, and there are definitely no pinstripes on the pictures.

but wait... it says printed January 2003 on the back.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    Well that sounds pretty concrete. However... I'll believe it when I (someone) sees it!
  • Reply 46 of 91
    tofutoddtofutodd Posts: 30member
    The stripes will not show up in the videos or most pictures.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    g3joelg3joel Posts: 29member
    Take a look at the WWDC keynote where the iSight is shown clipped onto several different surfaces. One of them is a cinema display, and it's aluminium.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3joel

Take a look at the WWDC keynote where the iSight is shown clipped onto several different surfaces. One of them is a cinema display, and it's aluminium.

Here ya go-

Sorry if that is slow to load. My dsl has a very bad upstream.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    sorry, but you boys must not have cinema displays, because that's exactly what the profile of my 20" looks like.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    Remember I only posted the picture but did not comment that time... Heh. Still the back looks more "metallic" than I remember but that could just very well be the picture.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    NEW WORD ALERT

Yes it appears to b just the shine-osity of the picture.
  • Reply 52 of 91
    If anyone has ordered a new Apple LCD with their new G5's let me know if there's pinstripes when ya get it.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The new G5 takes a large design cue from the Braun designs of the 60s and 70s. Braun built an electrostatic speaker with a similar form factor to a display.

http://www.globeaudiomkt.com/quad_cl..._le1_large.jpg
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

If anyone has ordered a new Apple LCD with their new G5's let me know if there's pinstripes when ya get it.

I ordered one, and got it in the mail yesterday. (The box size is massive)

If there is a non-pinstripe model (as indicated by the Apple PR Rep that I spoke with), they didn't send it to me. They sent me the pinstripe model.

Yes, I will be sending it back.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Here ya go-

Sorry if that is slow to load. My dsl has a very bad upstream.

I got this image from their hi-res displays page where ALL the displays are non-pinstripe models:

Compare the image you referenced in the keynote to the image (below). While it looks like both are non pinstipe models, it looks like Steve's display has a slightly more dramatic slope at the curve which rounds the top to the front than the image below. (It may just be the angle at which both photos were shot however.)

• Reply 56 of 91
    Also worth noting is that if you go to the Hi Res display page:

and download the hi-res photos, you'll notice that some models have pinstrips and some dont. Its easily distinguishable in the hi-res photos from photoshop.

Download the display family shot (3 displays in one photo) at the top... no pinstripes, now download the studio 17 side photo towards the bottom. The same photo that was referenced at the top (group photo) has pinstrips now.

I think somebody screwed up with the top photo and let the cat out of the bag. DOH!
  • Reply 57 of 91
    hmmm... if they do exist... I wonder when they will start shipping.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What about Kasper's '1 Infinite Cantina' article? It nailed the iSight/iChat and look of the G5...so there might be new displays coming as well.

Quote:

"Dude, my eyes hurt, my neck hurts. I've been trying to get Ruby to let me borrow one of those new displays, but he won't bite. I've been stuck with one of those non-adjustable Cinema Displays. It's brutal I tell you! "

Maybe Apple saved a little somthin-somthin for 'Create'?
  • Reply 59 of 91
    I don't think you understand about image compression and sampling.

First off, if you were talking seeing stripes from the a orthangonal side view, you can't. Only the front face of the displays have pinstripes. You probably weren't but just wanted to cover than it case.

But more importantly, a digital picture will have difficulty of picking up the pinstripes on the display shots where they are at angles! It's dificult enough when you have perfectly horizontal lines, but skewed to boot! The frequency content of the photo is too high and its not very unlikely the elements of whatever sampled the picture (CCD) were not aligned with the off axis stipes of a skewed display! And then your display has to convert these already poor representations back onto your display causing more loss of quality, more aliasing, and hence it appears solid! What you are seeing is an illusion. This thread need not carry on!

DROP THIS

the PR rep's response is more intriguing...
  • Reply 60 of 91
    Does "yummy" mean that you really want to eat the monitor.

you don't have to answer this question.