Anyone else glad there's a new Finder interface?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

iPhoto, iTunes. Or were y'all just not paying proper attention.

Unfortunately that cannot be done for _every_ file type. iWordBrowser, iExcelSpreadsheets, iAllMyPDFs, iHTMLFiles? The concept of a file system is something people just have to _learn_, because although the iApps certainly make it easier to understand and learn, there is still the inescapable underlying concept of folders and files.

re: screenshot. BWAWHAHAHAH The best thing is - he downloaded iChat AV 5 times. You'd think he'd realise eh?
  • Reply 102 of 127
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tokenfirstyear

re: screenshot. BWAWHAHAHAH The best thing is - he downloaded iChat AV 5 times. You'd think he'd realise eh?

How could he? It wasn't showing up on his "desktop".

I'm really, really curious to know how that occured. It's like the first two pages of a Sherlock Holmes adventure.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Unfortunately that cannot be done for _every_ file type. iWordBrowser, iExcelSpreadsheets, iAllMyPDFs, iHTMLFiles? The concept of a file system is something people just have to _learn_, because although the iApps certainly make it easier to understand and learn, there is still the inescapable underlying concept of folders and files.

Uh no. Search through the "piles" thread. Files system and folders can't give you one-to-many correspondences that metadata can.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The obvious reason? I only want to have one volume?

I don't want to have 3 different partitions, like some people do. I know in some ways it's better, but right now my install follows the KISS principle.

I actually have no choice in the matter. On my machine, the OS must be installed on a partition that is within the first 8GB of the drive.

Since I had a small System volume with my stuff on it, and a large volume that I would be shoving my documents and such on anyway, I just thought that it would make sense to make that volume my "official" home folder being as that is what I would use it as anyway...

And it doesn't make things complicated. Beyond the static space allocation (which matters very little to me as I've yet to hit the ceiling on either volume) there isn't much to complain about. It's an advantage to be able to back up onto my larger drive, wipe the system partition and reinstall.

Plus, all of my stuff *is* in the root.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

And I don't care about UNIX-this/UNIX-that. I don't want UNIX. You can gcc GREP my BSD ass, I don't care about UNIX.

But how do you really feel?

Little pent up, eh?

It's ok old boy, G4's still boot into 9. What were you going to do with that G5 anyways?
  • Reply 106 of 127
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Confused? No, but definitely not aided by any real world analogy.

The days of the virtual ?desktop? are numbered no matter

how logical the metaphor seems from our current perspective.

Oh you are sooo modern I see what you are saying but are just nit picking really. When you eat, study, whatever you do you are still doing it a some kind of surface. I'm sure you aren't so ahead of my time that you no longer have material objects to store somewhere. And I'm sure you still have to wipe your ass after you take a #2.

All I'm saying is that an OS should be logical and for best results, it should behave much like what we expect from doing anything else in the physical universe. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. Even the futuristic OS we see from movies such as Minority Report where the UI is in virtual space, one is still moving and manipulating virtual objects very much in the same way as we do in the physical universe.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

But how do you really feel?

Little pent up, eh?

It's ok old boy, G4's still boot into 9. What were you going to do with that G5 anyways?

I'm with Groverat on this one. I had very high hopes for Panther but frankly OSX is now more Unix than Mac. I (and just about everyone I know personally who uses macs) find it hideously frustrating and sometimes bizarrely complex. I get more phone calls from people asking for help becuase they can't find something or becuase they've moved something from the library folder and now something weird is going on etc than I do from people using XP.

The really sad thing is the number of times that a person has a problem with X or wants to do something and gets referred to some UNIX type hack or CLI solution. Over the past couiple of years many folks here at appleinsider have posted with a "how can I. . ." or a "my mac is . . ." only to be given some instructions that involve root users, fsck, terminal etc

This ain't no mac.

I know that many people in the geekdom love Unix but as far as I am concerned screw UNIX
  • Reply 108 of 127
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Then again, what does this have to do with the Finder in Panther?
  • Reply 109 of 127
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    The new finder shows a lot of promise, but there seems to be a hell of a lot of space used up by stuff that's repeated in every Finder window. That's fine for newer users but a bit of a waste of space for the more experienced user (case in point - why would experienced users want a button taking up space in the toolbar that's just a duplicate of the context menu?) so I can see many people using the toolbar-less and sidebar-less modes a lot.

So, I'm thinking that if you were going to use the Finder in the spatial mode (with the toolbar and sidebar turned off) that works nice and simply - no big distracting bars everywhere, and you can't click on a place in the sidebar to swap a window's contents and break the "one window = one folder".

However, you do lose the sidebar as a nice convenient way of filing stuff away. Want to put something on a CD? Drag it to the CD on the sidebar. Want to file away a document you've been working on? Drag it to the documents folder in the sidebar. That's quite useful, and it doesn't break the spatial concept (much) if you're only using the sidebar as a drop target. So how about if you drag a file to the left-hand edge of the window where the places sidebar would otherwise be, then a drawer opens up with your places listed inside ready for you to drop your files into? Once done, it gently slides closed.

It may go all horribly wrong, of course. What if you wanted to drop a file to a folder just to the left of your window? Would an opening drawer you accidentally trigger then obscure your real target?

Just a thought I guess... (and... gosh! on-topic!!)

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 110 of 127
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arnel

The new finder shows a lot of promise, but there seems to be a hell of a lot of space used up by stuff that's repeated in every Finder window. That's fine for newer users but a bit of a waste of space for the more experienced user (case in point - why would experienced users want a button taking up space in the toolbar that's just a duplicate of the context menu?)

Perhaps experienced users will remove that button from the toolbar
  • Reply 111 of 127
    How 'bout this?

(image taken from a MacNN thread).
  • Reply 112 of 127
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

I'm with Groverat on this one. I had very high hopes for Panther but frankly OSX is now more Unix than Mac. I (and just about everyone I know personally who uses macs) find it hideously frustrating and sometimes bizarrely complex. I get more phone calls from people asking for help becuase they can't find something or becuase they've moved something from the library folder and now something weird is going on etc than I do from people using XP.

The really sad thing is the number of times that a person has a problem with X or wants to do something and gets referred to some UNIX type hack or CLI solution. Over the past couiple of years many folks here at appleinsider have posted with a "how can I. . ." or a "my mac is . . ." only to be given some instructions that involve root users, fsck, terminal etc

This ain't no mac.

I know that many people in the geekdom love Unix but as far as I am concerned screw UNIX

Whereas in the old Mac OS you wouldn't be able to do anything at all, with X you can fix stuff that may have otherwise been unrecoverable. Not to mention do a whole lot more stuff (eg funky disk images, moving home folders, HAVING home folders), and the fact that it's 1000 times faster and more stable.

Mac OS might be comforting for you. That doesn't change the fact that it's a toy, PoS OS. I have really only one thing to say to you. STUFF CHANGES, GET OVER IT!

Barto
  • Reply 113 of 127
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This didn't seem worthy of a new thread, so I'm posting it in here. Founds this article via MacSurfer from ZD Net. Does it make much sense to you? ZD Net article

I find it perplexing, if interesting to read one person's perspective on the new features. This quote confused me:

Quote:

Panther will offer a redesigned Finder that turns around the location of files, folders and applications. Instead of navigating to them right to left, as in Jaguar,[huh?] the Finder now features a right-to-left hierarchy that starts with files, folders and commands.[huh?!]

I have no idea what the author is talking about there. But they then continue with an interesting if IMO off-base comparison:

Quote:

The right-hand Finder menu looks remarkably like the Windows Start menu, [and acts nothing like it] and you can navigate in icon or pane view ["pane" being column view I guess, plus there's also list view, but now I'm nitpicking], drag and drop folders or application shortcuts into the main menu, apply colour-coded labels to files, browse for network files or computers, and use a new instant search field to quickly uncover specific files.

I guess I would also be nitpicking if I pointed out the caption that claims that Apple "eschews" command-tab app switching in favor of Expose.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Some really strange and off-base parts there. What on earth is the author trying to convey?

I also love the caption under Exposé, "Overkill?"

No Molly, the tricks that Longhorn demoed was overkill. Exposé actually looks useful.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

How 'bout this?

(image taken from a MacNN thread).

I get a 403 error when I click on the link.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

I get a 403 error when I click on the link.

He must've removed the image.

But it was showing that you can have the old Finder (almost) back in Panther DP.

Click on the right button on a Finder window to hide the toobar and the left pane. Choose View -> Show Toolbar.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

What left?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...r/finder16.png

Click it and explain please.

Open a new Finder window that's set to open in Home. [/B][/QUOTE]

In NeXTStep and OpenStep, upon which Mac OS X is based, the scroll bars were on the <i>left</i> side of the screen, rather than the right, as modern Windows and Macintosh systems seem to have decided (although Windows XP apparently switches it for languages that read right-to-left).

I've heard many persons say that the NeXTStep way was more intuitive; although I've never used it, and have no idea why, I believe that it would be a mere trifle for Apple to implement a system preference for it, much like they did for smart-scrolling (which is [I do believe] in and of itself--even as far back as Classic--borrowed from NeXTStep).

Cheers,

Andrew M
  • Reply 118 of 127
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    In regard to having the home directory on the desktop -

Maybe I'm missing something, but do you not get almost the identical effect by command-option dragging the home directory to your desktop - i.e. making an alias to it?

You can even get the cool house icon by copying and pasting it from the get info window.

Why would you want to do all that shit with the terminal and root priveleges? Is there some benefit I'm not seeing here?
  • Reply 119 of 127
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    socrates.

Maybe some of us would rather not have things on our desktop.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Maybe some of us would rather not have things on our desktop.

I agree entirely, but I was referring to the advice above on how to mount your home directory as a virtual disk on your desktop . My point was not about whether or not having your home directory on your desktop was a good thing in the first place, but rather that if you are to have it on your desktop then an alias seems like a much easier and safer way to do it.