Anyone else glad there's a new Finder interface?

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

This is not UNIX, Apple.

Oh. Shit. Well... Someone has to tell him... I don't want to be one to tell him... can't... can't someone else do it? *sigh* Fine. Fine.

grovey? Could. Could I talk...

We need to talk.

Hey... I already busted on you in this thread... who was doing the thread archaeology?
  • Reply 122 of 127
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

The really sad thing is the number of times that a person has a problem with X or wants to do something and gets referred to some UNIX type hack or CLI solution.

FWIW, I've yet to touch the command line in OS X except to do "top" for shits and giggles. The most complex thing I had to do was enable root via NetInfo.app, which is a bear IMO.

To me, criticizing the CLI is like criticizing scripting in the Mac OS, and I don't see a lot of old-timey Mac OS users complaining of that.
  • Reply 123 of 127
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I must admit, I've never completely warmed up to Jaguar's Finder. And to this day, it's still not completely refined. (Sometimes open windows would lose the top of their header when I'm moving them around and I can't seem to grab it to reveal the close buttons.)

And as Jobs pointed out, it's not very user driven...especially the open and save dialog boxes which is still confusing.

Although, a lot has to do with the fact that I've used OS9 and earlier for so many years that it's a complete mind shift.

OS9 does look old and tired...but it works. From a user interface prospective, I've always wanted OSX to just work the way OS9 did but with a few tweaks here and cosmetic changes there. I never thought Apple had to re-invent the wheel. Afterall they've spent so many years getting OS9 to where it was.

I just hope the adjustment to Panther won't be too frustrating.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I never really liked the Jaguar finder to be honest with, not at all. I mean it looked "ok", but it wasn't friendly like os 9 was. The new panther finder is going to be the best. Can't wait to be using it.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I can't wait either. It seems like a big expansion to what it was before, and it'll actually be easier to get places.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What's missing from the new Finder is still a lot of stuff that even the Classic Finder could never deal with. Things like dealing with networked and remote files so it's not such a headache, batch work, adapting to different workflows and contexts, etc.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    And being able to write to an FTP server from the Finder. You have to use a FTP client to do that at this very moment. They could still exist if this was implemented. The Finder would just be the quick and dirty way of doing it.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

And being able to write to an FTP server from the Finder. You have to use a FTP client to do that at this very moment. They could still exist if this was implemented. The Finder would just be the quick and dirty way of doing it.

No, the finder way would be the quick and easy way of doing it.