Kobe Bryant charged with sexual assault-surprised?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 147
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If I felt inclined to defend Bryant & wife I would have. The alleged victim is very poorly treated, IMO, so that is what I choose to discuss. It is not my lot to validate your posts with acceptance or denial.

One of them may have been raped, that's the difference.
  • Reply 42 of 147
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    This site has what it purports to be a topless pic of the victim.

http://www.cjc.8k.com/

scroll down

I think it's a hoax myself.
  • Reply 43 of 147
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If I felt inclined to defend Bryant & wife I would have. The alleged victim is very poorly treated, IMO, so that is what I choose to discuss. It is not my lot to validate your posts with acceptance or denial.

One of them may have been raped, that's the difference.

Yeah and one of them is innocent until proven guilty and not the other way around.

Nick
  • Reply 44 of 147
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Eugene:

If you want to believe the kid who did an interview with MSNBC and got a nice shot of himself framed by mountains on national news surely you believe her many other friends who claim to have seen "shocking" physical evidence of rape.

The article says the host's story has been corroborated by 5 other partygoers.

• Reply 45 of 147
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i got your evidence right here

• Reply 46 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The article says the host's story has been corroborated by 5 other partygoers.

What story?

That "she was bragging about it kinda"?

Nice bit of "journalism" MSNBC doing there, leaving off that word at the end that makes it a little less sensational.

*roll clip*

"Never once have I said that I would eat a baby."

MSNBC.com

Today, groverat said, "I would eat a baby."
  • Reply 47 of 147
    Quote:

What story?

That "she was bragging about it kinda"?

Nice bit of "journalism" MSNBC doing there, leaving off that word at the end that makes it a little less sensational.

*roll clip*

"Never once have I said that I would eat a baby."

MSNBC.com

Today, groverat said, "I would eat a baby."

Grove,

Regardless of stories or minutia posted here or there in the never ending echo chamber of 24 hour cable news, the fact remains. The girl has made an accusation, and Bryant remains innocent until proven guilty.

Bryant doesn't have any sort of history to suggest that the innocence should be doubted. It is up to the court to prove that she was forced to have sex against her will.

He said, she said cases are the absolute hardest to prove. We don't have the male equivelent of rape, but Bryant could be the equivelent of financially raped and character raped by this accusation if it turns out the be false.

You say the difference is one of them may have bene raped. Well one of them may have had their entire professional career, their entire financial livelyhood, their freedom (since it carries a prison term) and their character put at stake.

But I suppose that doesn't mean crap to someone like you.

Likewise we should never question the character of the woman even though there are millions at stake via both the person accused and the woman's workplace. (because I am sure some enterprising lawyer would make it a work related issue) Even though there are 3 sealed 911 calls from her prior to this incident (one which we now know to be an overdose) should not make us question anything either.

So get up off your high horse. In any other crime the accuser is questioned to insure that the accused is guilty with no reasonable doubt of innocence. This should be no different.

Nick
  • Reply 48 of 147
    trumptman:

Quote:

The girl has made an accusation, and Bryant remains innocent until proven guilty.

Never once disputed that.

Quote:

Bryant doesn't have any sort of history to suggest that the innocence should be doubted. It is up to the court to prove that she was forced to have sex against her will.

Well, he lied about this in the first place.

At first he said nothing happened, and when it came out that there was physical evidence he said he just committed adultery.

Does that mean he's guilty? No. But it means he isn't trustworthy.

Quote:

He said, she said cases are the absolute hardest to prove.

Couple that with the chorus of "gold-digging whore!" at first mention of the case from across the nation and its little wonder rape victims even bother.

Quote:

We don't have the male equivelent of rape, but Bryant could be the equivelent of financially raped and character raped by this accusation if it turns out the be false.

Then he can sue her for defamation and/or false litigation.

Quote:

You say the difference is one of them may have bene raped. Well one of them may have had their entire professional career, their entire financial livelyhood, their freedom (since it carries a prison term) and their character put at stake.

If he's found not guilty he'll still have a $70+ million contract with the Lakers, even if he loses every single endorsement deal that's already paid him ~$90 million. His professional career will be just fine. Sorry, you just don't seem to know about the specifics.

If he's found guilty he could lose every penny, and deservedly so.

Quote:

But I suppose that doesn't mean crap to someone like you.

What does that mean?

Quote:

Likewise we should never question the character of the woman even though there are millions at stake via both the person accused and the woman's workplace.

I don't mind character questions if they are based in some kind of reality.

Quote:

Even though there are 3 sealed 911 calls from her prior to this incident (one which we now know to be an overdose) should not make us question anything either.

Until we know what is in those calls it doesn't matter. Why is calling 911 suspicious? I've called 911.

Quote:

In any other crime the accuser is questioned to insure that the accused is guilty with no reasonable doubt of innocence. This should be no different.

Did I ever oppose that idea, bitter boy?
  • Reply 49 of 147
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

true, but there have been many allusions to physical evidence of rape, so sounds like this may not be to hard to do.

Quote:

We don't have the male equivelent of rape,

yes we do. go to prison.

Quote:

In any other crime the accuser is questioned to insure that the accused is guilty with no reasonable doubt of innocence. This should be no different.

as i'm sure she was in this case as well. a prosecutor doesn't want to take a case that he knows he's going to lose. that's why they examine the rape victim before they charge the suspect.
  • Reply 50 of 147
    i think much of kobe's credibility goes out the window, with his pathetic post-charge mea culpa, and apology to his wife (at a news conference?) after previously asking if we really think he'd do something like that. (meaning, rape? why our sweet little kobe wouldn't cheat on his wife who's at home with his six month old baby)

i know all his sponsors are saying they will stand behind him, but you will never see another mcdonalds commercial with him, even if he is cleared.

for his bad judgment alone, he deserves a skeptical eye.
  • Reply 51 of 147
    Quote:

trumptman:

Never once disputed that.

At first he said nothing happened, and when it came out that there was physical evidence he said he just committed adultery.

Does that mean he's guilty? No. But it means he isn't trustworthy.

Couple that with the chorus of "gold-digging whore!" at first mention of the case from across the nation and its little wonder rape victims even bother.

Then he can sue her for defamation and/or false litigation.

If he's found not guilty he'll still have a $70+ million contract with the Lakers, even if he loses every single endorsement deal that's already paid him ~$90 million. His professional career will be just fine. Sorry, you just don't seem to know about the specifics.

If he's found guilty he could lose every penny, and deservedly so.

What does that mean?

I don't mind character questions if they are based in some kind of reality.

Until we know what is in those calls it doesn't matter. Why is calling 911 suspicious? I've called 911.

Did I ever oppose that idea, bitter boy?

He didn't lie about it in the first place. You are dead wrong on this account.

First interview since allegation

He only ever denied the sexual assault charge which is exactly what you would expect someone who is innocent to do.

So in that respect he deserves just as much credibility as the accuser. He is trustworthy.

It's little wonder rape victims even bother? Really I wonder what percentage of rapes happen to involve liability of both persons and businesses worth multiple millions of dollars? Talk about a straw man! Yes, all rape victims don't report for fear they will be called gold diggers. Even the ones raped by Earl, the drunk who lives in the back of his 78 Chevy pick up.

Maybe people when people claim gold digging it is because it has some basis in reality. No one has ever seen a woman go after a man that is married but financially well off/old and ready to kick the bucket, etc. We have never heard of Anna Nicole Smith, Marla Maples, etc. Movies like the First Wives Club are just figments of my imagination.

You right he can sue her, but what would he gain? She is a 19 year old semi-college student who probably has a networth of about $45 that she hasn't withdrawn from her savings account yet. He could sue, but wouldn't gain a dime, nor anything else.

Sure you've called 911, but these three calls were all recent. I have called 911 perhaps 2-3 times in my entire life, not 2-3 times in the last few months. If they are no big deal then shouldn't they simply be public knowledge as they are supposed to be? I mean if you call 911 to report a car break-in should the court seal it? It stinks of hiding a behavior on the accusers part.

As for being a bitter boy and opposing the idea, yes you did. I made a comment basically tongue in cheek about how this whole media circus might play out, and you said it was in poor taste because she was accusing of rape. Your exact words were that you were SHOCKED.

Well be shocked all you want. Hidden 911 calls and allegations against people and companies worth millions don't SHOCK you. However denying sexual assault makes someone untrustworthy.

No double standard on your part, no bias...yeah right.

Nick
  • Reply 52 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i think much of kobe's credibility goes out the window, with his pathetic post-charge mea culpa, and apology to his wife (at a news conference?) after previously asking if we really think he'd do something like that. (meaning, rape? why our sweet little kobe wouldn't cheat on his wife who's at home with his six month old baby)

i know all his sponsors are saying they will stand behind him, but you will never see another mcdonalds commercial with him, even if he is cleared.

for his bad judgment alone, he deserves a skeptical eye.

Yeah the woman who was so despondent she attempted suicide with an overdose because her boyfriend had left her and then turns around and helps him commit adultery deserves all the credibility.

Nick
  • Reply 53 of 147
    espn had sources that when he made those initial statements he'd been told he wasn't going to be charged, he even went to the espy's, which is where he was told that he in fact probably was going to be charged, he abruptly left.
  • Reply 54 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Yeah the woman who was so despondent she attempted suicide with an overdose because her boyfriend had left her and then turns around and helps him commit adultery deserves all the credibility.

Nick

i didn't say a word about the woman, or her credibility.

but to her credit she seems to be the only one saving it for the courtroom.
  • Reply 55 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

true, but there have been many allusions to physical evidence of rape, so sounds like this may not be to hard to do.

yes we do. go to prison.

as i'm sure she was in this case as well. a prosecutor doesn't want to take a case that he knows he's going to lose. that's why they examine the rape victim before they charge the suspect.

There have also be allusions to her being a drama queen, celebrity chaser, having caused a disturbance after being dismissed from his room, having overdosed, her bragging about the incident and seeking celebrity herself.

Also how do your male friends see physical evidence of sexual assault at a party?

As for male rape, ask Groverat to show you his nice report from the Department of Justice concerning men and rape. The number they report is zero. Of course I had a discussion about that with him. He assured me that the fact that rape and domestic violence are concidered gender crimes wouldn't affect the reporting of those crimes. The number of male rapes reported is zero. Of course they won't survey the prison population, but of course what does that matter right? The Department of Justice can't be wrong!

A prosecutor will take plenty of cases if it improves their political prospects, gives them face time on television, grows their budget, etc. They are human and have human motivations. Watch any competitive race for district attorney in an urban area and you will see the true nature of their job.

Nick
  • Reply 56 of 147
    Quote:

SINCE WHEN???

He said he was innocent of the crime he was accused of. Adultery is not a crime in this country.
  • Reply 57 of 147
    trumptman:

Quote:

He only ever denied the sexual assault charge which is exactly what you would expect someone who is innocent to do.

He denied the entire report and made no clarification as to what exactly he was talking about. This "you know me" stuff calls on the reputation he has created that was obviously a lie; him being the devoted husband (wearing hospital ID bracelet while playing), being the "exception to the rule".

Quote:

So in that respect he deserves just as much credibility as the accuser. He is trustworthy.

Cheating husbands are trustworthy, 19-year-old girls are attention-seeking groupie whores.

Quote:

It's little wonder rape victims even bother? Really I wonder what percentage of rapes happen to involve liability of both persons and businesses worth multiple millions of dollars?

Actual rape cases or rape lawsuits? Civil or criminal?

You wonder this kind of thing without backing any of it up because you continually have your ass handed to you when it comes to facts.

Quote:

Yes, all rape victims don't report for fear they will be called gold diggers. Even the ones raped by Earl, the drunk who lives in the back of his 78 Chevy pick up.

Or that they will be ignored and punished. Or that they will be stigmatized socially...

Do you want to say that women don't dramatically underreport rape cases or are you going to pull your usual whining victim bullshit?

Quote:

No one has ever seen a woman go after a man that is married but financially well off/old and ready to kick the bucket, etc. We have never heard of Anna Nicole Smith, Marla Maples, etc. Movies like the First Wives Club are just figments of my imagination.

An appeal to Goldie Hawn movies to prove a point. You have hit a new low.

That may be the most pathetic argument you have ever made. Ever. And that's saying a lot.

You are so devoid of a clue you will bring up Bette Midler to speak for you. Hilarious.

Quote:

You right he can sue her, but what would he gain? She is a 19 year old semi-college student who probably has a networth of about $45 that she hasn't withdrawn from her savings account yet. He could sue, but wouldn't gain a dime, nor anything else.

Michael Irvin of my beloved Dallas Cowboys sued a women for filing false charges against him. Sexual assault charges, no less. Google the name "Nina Shahravan".

Kobe won't get money, you're right, Kobe doesn't need money. Money is the last thing Kobe needs. But if this girl is found guilty of false allegations and defamation do you think it won't help to rehabilitate his image? It sure helped Irvin's. She spent time in jail and paid a fine.

Quote:

Sure you've called 911, but these three calls were all recent.

oooooooh. That means nothing. Tell me what she called about then we'll talk.

Or you could bring up a Diane Keaton movie to prove your point!

Quote:

If they are no big deal then shouldn't they simply be public knowledge as they are supposed to be? I mean if you call 911 to report a car break-in should the court seal it? It stinks of hiding a behavior on the accusers part.

Why shouldn't the .gov install cameras in your house to make sure you aren't a criminal?

Privacy, learn it, love it.

Quote:

However denying sexual assault makes someone untrustworthy.

Calling on a falsified image to try to exonerate yourself of any involvement makes you untrustworthy. Staying ambiguous instead of giving answers in a case this high-profile and easy to parse makes you untrustworthy.

He could've easily said, "Look, I had sex with her but it was totally consensual and the rape part of it is bullshit." but no, he wanted to keep his crafted image. He's untrustworthy. That doesn't mean he's guilty, he's just untrustworthy.

Quote:

"helps him commit adultery"

Amazing.

Quote:

There have also be allusions to her being a drama queen, celebrity chaser, having caused a disturbance after being dismissed from his room, having overdosed, her bragging about the incident and seeking celebrity herself.

A drama queen how?

A celebrity chaser how?

What disturbance after being "dismissed from his room"?

I've read the report of her overdosing.

"bragging kinda"? What does that mean?

The "American Idol" defense is almost as pathetic as the First Wives Club defense.

Quote:

Also how do your male friends see physical evidence of sexual assault at a party?

Did a male friend see physical evidence of sexual assault at a party?

Quote:

Of course they won't survey the prison population, but of course what does that matter right?

Your bitterness over having your ass handed to you in the other thread is endearing, it really is. Perhaps you would consider prison rape "intimate partner violence", but not anyone else I wouldn't think.

I can't believe you're older than me, it's frightening.

Quote:

A prosecutor will take plenty of cases if it improves their political prospects, gives them face time on television, grows their budget, etc. They are human and have human motivations. Watch any competitive race for district attorney in an urban area and you will see the true nature of their job.

Tell me of another rape case against an athlete where it lasted this long without the whole thing coming apart? Hmm...

BUT SHE TRIED OUT FOR AMERICAN IDOL! GOLDIE HAWN!

--

Eugene:

Addressed above.
  • Reply 58 of 147
    Quote:

Eugene:

Addressed above.

Making an intentionally ambiguous statement (most likely as instructed by his attorney) is lying?
  • Reply 59 of 147
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Making an intentionally ambiguous statement (most likely as instructed by his attorney) is lying?

It can be, absolutely. Like Bush re:WMD.

A lie of omission is certainly a lie.
  • Reply 60 of 147
    Quote:

A lie of omission is certainly a lie.

Given the context, in your Kangaroo court, perhaps.