iTunes Music Store Has Competition

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

For third parties to use.

We'll see. Online music will be a multi-billion dollar/year business soon. I can't see MS not wanting the lions share of that for themselves. I stopped giving MS the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

This still begs the question about what will Apple do when REAL competition begins this Winter?

Well, they've already managed to create a quality music service, so the technology is in place. As with so many things in the world, it's going to come down to Apple getting the word out to as many Windows users as possible. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Someone on these boards once mentioned having CDs with iTunes for both Mac and Windows printed up and waiting for customers at CompUSA. Great idea, but extend that. Have them at Best Buy and Target as well. Have them at Barnes and Noble bookstores and Cinemark movie theaters. Put out print ads, radio ads, flyers, banners, television commercials, movie trailers, everything! I've never understood why Apple doesn't use some of that $4+ Billion horde they've got to advertise the living crap out of their products. Dell has a flyer in our local paper (Nashville Tennessean) every damn week. I lived in Dallas until recently, and the only way to realize that that city had TWO Apple retail stores was to actually walk by one! Apple, ADVERTISE!!!!!
  • Reply 123 of 162
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hell, they should put them in cereal boxes, give them out at Blockbuster video, and spam the mailboxes of America a la AOL!
  • Reply 124 of 162
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    USA Today has an article on the first week of BuyMusic. There's been some clitches. Here's the last sentence referring to sales in the first week:

Quote:

BuyMusic won't release figures, but "it's not millions," Blum says.

• Reply 125 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

BuyMusic won't release figures, but "it's not millions," Blum says.

Ooooh, it stings!

Um...holy moly, look at this week's iTunesMS "just added..."
  • Reply 126 of 162
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Ooooh, it stings!

Um...holy moly, look at this week's iTunesMS "just added..."

wow, a lot added but suspiciously some of it has been on the iTMS for a while now.... like the Jayhawks.

They added Bernie Williams new album!!! Cool... i think I may make my first iTMS purchase now
  • Reply 127 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    As in that Bernie Williams? Haha, WTF?? Hey, it's not bad!
  • Reply 128 of 162
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

As in that Bernie Williams? Haha, WTF?? Hey, it's not bad!

Yea, he's a very impressive classically trained guitarist. He finally put together an album after many years of urging. And he played a benefit show the night before the all-star game at the Chicago House of Blues.

A few years ago there was a cool yankees commercial with the team jamming.... they sounded pretty good. Williams was by far the best.

Sigh, I wish I had the discipline and talent to be that great at not only baseball but guitar too.
  • Reply 130 of 162
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    MacDirectory story:

Apple Beats BuyMusic.com Despite Imitations

I love this:

Quote:

When USA Today attempted to get an answer/solution to the unplayable tracks from BuyMusic.com, they received an email that said, "We are unable to provide technical assistance after you have downloaded the music... to your primary computer. In addition, we are unable to credit you back for failed or damaged copies once you have successfully downloaded the music."

Amazing.
  • Reply 131 of 162
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, sounds like iTunes is spanking the PC versions of music stores pretty hard.
  • Reply 132 of 162
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I'm so happy for Bernie. Now he'll have someting to fall back on when he retires from baseball with that $200 million or so in the bank. The album is a good first time out.
  • Reply 133 of 162
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Did anyone else comment on this:

From macnn.com

Quote:

Jody Whitesides, a musician, wrote to us about BuyMusic.com's acquisition of content:

I'm an artist that is about to be brought to the Apple iTunes Music Store. Of course I recently heard about BuyMusic so I decided to point my Mac browser at it (with Javascript turned off you can see the site).

I did a search for one of my old CD's that will be going onto iTunes and It turns out my CD was there on BuyMusic.com. As were the CD's of several other bands that I'm friends with. All of whom were not contacted about being placed for sale there.

Here's what I've deduced... BuyMusic.com (which I will refer to as BM) got their "vast" music library of 300,000 plus songs from a company called the Orchard. The Orchard is a distribution company that has consistently shafted artists by not paying them for CD's sold nor returning unsold CD's or canceling contracts. So, without the express consent of what is likely all of the Orchards catalog, BM has put it up for sale at the bargain price of $.79 a song.

So now, they can tout they're selling tracks at $.79 and they can say they have a library of music of over 300,000 songs. But what they don't tell you is that it comes from musicians/bands that were not asked for permission, and who will likely not see a penny of any sale made through BM. By their very own site policy they are committing copyright infringement. They have done this to lure PC/windows users to their site in hopes to sell the few major label aquired songs they do have, at a price that is much higher than Apple's $.99.

I'm currently looking into legal means to have my music removed from their site and strongly encourage users to not browse BM's site nor purchase from it.

It seems that rentshittyqualitymusic.com is also engaged in IP thievery. Hahahahaha. That's just too funny for words. I hope this gets some press.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It seems that rentshittyqualitymusic.com is also engaged in IP thievery. Hahahahaha. That's just too funny for words. I hope this gets some press.

Perfect! Predictable, too.

If you want to find a traitor, look for the one flinging accusations of treason every which way. If you want to find a thief, look for someone accusing everyone else of thievery.

Blum has been less than honest about his service from the get-go, so I hope it goes down in flames.
  • Reply 135 of 162
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Did anyone else comment on this:

From macnn.com

BM just went from dead to even more dead.
  • Reply 136 of 162
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wow...i hope all this stuff gets out to the press...it makes me mad/sad to see such deceitfulness and dishonesty in this service

i feel bad for users who downloaded songs and got screwed because they couldn't do whatever with them...i bet many of them didn't know better
  • Reply 137 of 162
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    SortOfRentMusicForOneParticularComputerOnly.com... It just keeps getting better:

http://www.blogcritics.org/archives/.../27/002033.php
  • Reply 138 of 162
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Daaaaaaaamn

What a terrible terrible service

I'm really amazed, I knew it could never compete with iTMS, but this is just ridiculous, I never knew it could be THAT bad.

the sad thing is, all these articles, personal reports, legal hoopla..etc. could easily be downplayed and not publicized as much as they should be, and buymusic.com could still gain a very large rep amongst the seas of PCs(rhyme

at least until windows iTMS
  • Reply 139 of 162
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member

Quote:

From the BLOG report

This had been in the trackback on the original post on Scriptygoddess but it was important enough to be brought into this post. Privacy policies are something I don't usually pay attention to but really should, but what buymusic.com has in theirs is just wrong. Jenett linked to Stereoboy's post where he pointed out this little tidbit from their policy: "we may disclose, sell, trade, or rent your Personally Identifiable Information to others without your consent". Not cool.

daaaaaaammn. from dead, to deader...to so dead, the (evil)nutrients are already back in the earth and causing other things to die
  • Reply 140 of 162
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

the sad thing is, all these articles, personal reports, legal hoopla..etc. could easily be downplayed and not publicized as much as they should be, and buymusic.com could still gain a very large rep amongst the seas of PCs(rhyme

That's how it works on the PC side. On the Mac side anyone can post something on his own website. It will then be quoted on MacNN, picked up by CNet who will be quoted on MacCentral and so on until Apple's stock price falls