iTunes Music Store Has Competition

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

That's how it works on the PC side. On the Mac side anyone can post something on his own website. It will then be quoted on MacNN, picked up by CNet who will be quoted on MacCentral and so on until Apple's stock price falls

I was talking to a PC user about macs not long ago and he mentioned something to the effect of "this one pc magazine that I used to really enjoy reading repeatedly said that macOS(9) is by FAR the least stable OS around"

Sad thing is, you get that type of stuff all the time around ignorant PC users. granted 9 wasn't no 8.6 in terms of stabilty, it certainly beat the snot out of windows 98.

this guy later went on to praise OS X, saying something like "finally apple can compete because of UNIX"

oh well. \
  • Reply 142 of 162
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Sad thing is, you get that type of stuff all the time around ignorant PC users. granted 9 wasn't no 8.6 in terms of stabilty, it certainly beat the snot out of windows 98.

I don't know if I would call him ignorant. Many small Mac problems just have a tendency to get blown way out of proportions in the press - probably because Mac users often complain very loudly when the encounter problems.
  • Reply 143 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

probably because Mac users often complain very loudly when the encounter problems.

• Reply 144 of 162
    Damn, I just tried to load the site with omni(I forgot to change the browser id to IE) and the page loaded, then a little pop-up appeared saying "loading macuser.aspx"

that's low

I knew they prevented mac users from viewing the site, but I dislike how they have their file labeled as such, it's like "mac user, turn him away"
  • Reply 145 of 162
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    This gets worse and worse for them, it seems. Last week, I was just checking on Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head" and it was 99¢ a song with some obscene DRM restrictions. Tonight, I was showing my fiancee the site and as an example I went back to it. Now the songs are $1.09! And the same absolutely insane restrictions (1 computer, 3 transfers and 3 burns)! Gotta love it. Go iTMS! Apple, get the damn thing windows ready, already!
  • Reply 146 of 162
    Their traffic is falling fast. Emusic.com have been beating them consistently since the initial hype wore off....or buymusic's traffic drastically dropped as soon they blocked mac users from going to the site.

If the image doesn't show up, go here.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...ymusic.com#top
  • Reply 147 of 162
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Their traffic is falling fast. Emusic.com have been beating them consistently since the initial hype wore off....or buymusic's traffic drastically dropped as soon they blocked mac users from going to the site.

Haha, probably the later...funny enough also:

• Reply 148 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Is it really fair to compare buymusic.com to apple.com? No. It'd be like comparing buymusic.com to applemusic.com...completely irrelevant.
  • Reply 149 of 162
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    What's actually interesting about that Alexa clocker is that their screenshot of Buymusic.com shows the "IE Required" screen.
  • Reply 150 of 162
    I don't know if any of you read www.penny-arcade.com but in Tycho's post today he used Buymusic and excellent in the same sentence

I just sent him an email with some links and info informing him of what a crap service they are. We gotta keep people informed
  • Reply 151 of 162
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    MS beats Apple to the punch in Europe.

http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/13/msod2
  • Reply 152 of 162
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

My thoughts exactly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3148327.stm

Unfortunately although the business model for Itunes and downloadable music was an innovative idea it is too easy to copy. It was always only going to be a matter of time ...
  • Reply 153 of 162
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Smart move by MS. How many Europeans (and anyone else outside the US) are going to go with iTMS when it has yet to premiere for Windows, nevermind go outside the US. Granted, it's pretty clear that the record companies are trying to get a million players in the market so that no one has clout over them, and Apple is simply a pawn in this scheme.
  • Reply 154 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

Which wasn't hard to do since OD2 has existed for quite a while (and before iTMS). The only difference is that OD2 now offers the music through WMP9.

Wonder what limitations there are. The pricing is like Buymusic.com: Some songs at 75p, some at 99p and some at £1.19.
  • Reply 155 of 162
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    No matter where the music service is provided from (Apple, MS, BM.com, OD2)...... I still am not a huge fan on this

When you see you are paying to download the entire album the cost is around 60-70% of the physical CD you find from the stoe (in US)

They come with REAL package, REAL CD cover, REAL lyric print outs...sometimes even FREE DVD and other freebies. And better part. No degradtion.

I personally don't like the download thing that much. That means those record labels are getting more & more pure profits.
  • Reply 156 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

I personally don't like the download thing that much. That means those record labels are getting more & more pure profits.

When slicing up the price on a CD here in Denmark, it's the dealer who earns the money (a 40% margin).
  • Reply 157 of 162
    In gerneral 70% of the music CDs sold here in western Canada are around $14-$17 CDN. The rest are around $20-$25

1 CDN = 4.8 DDK

HMV is the most expensive. I remember when I bought Sarah Brightman's latest album Harem (Limited Edition with a bonus DVD) from A&B Sound (The cheapest in Vancouver) for $16.95. In HMV. That same CD is selling for f*cking $30 bucks!

HMV has closed two stores in Vancouver since last year. I think they deserve it.

If iTMS is released for the Canadian market the price of the songs better be 99 cents CDN not US. If it's in 99 cent US that's 1.4 CDN per song. After 10 songs of download the total is already 14 bucks. That's the SAME price of a real music CD from the store with print, bonus stuff, blah blah blah.
  • Reply 158 of 162
    dlb post
  • Reply 159 of 162
    I know I'm resurrecting a rather old thread but there is no need to start a new one for this.

The Toronto Star had an article today about a service call Puretracks that is essentially a Canadian version BuyMusic.com's entrance in the U.S.

Linky: http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...l=969048863851

From the article:

"A library of more than 250,000 high-quality, digital music files for download. No spyware. No malicious decoy files. No browser-hijacking advertisements. A host of innovative features that even iTunes can't match. And pricing similar to iTunes but with greater flexibility, recognizing that not all music was created equal"

A previous article in The Star already stated that the service would in fact be WMA so I can only assume it will have the same restrictions as BuyMusic.

Linky to first article: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

There is some quality rubbish in the original article. Something along the lines of, "Unlike iTunes, Puretracks sells Windows Media Audio files ? a much smaller, data-filtered version of the original CD audio ? that average about 4 MB and take roughly 20 seconds to download"

Huh?

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this service and what 'innovative' features it'll have.
  • Reply 160 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

There is some quality rubbish in the original article. Something along the lines of, "Unlike iTunes, Puretracks sells Windows Media Audio files ? a much smaller, data-filtered version of the original CD audio ? that average about 4 MB and take roughly 20 seconds to download"

Huh?

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this service and what 'innovative' features it'll have.

That sounds like presscopy to me. They forgot to add "lower quality" "DRM laced" and not really yours, to the description. For god's sake, the "20 seconds to download" BS has nothing to do with the format of the file. Sheesh.