Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 321 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

No. You can change the names but not the colors.

Well...that's kinda dumb that you can't. Hopefully by the final release they'll allow you to.
  • Reply 322 of 1176
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Anyone have Expose be broken after the update? The small shadow of windows will still show up but the window itself doesn't shrink like it should.
  • Reply 323 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Do you still have to open the X11 app and use the XTerm terminal, or will it be integrated so that you can run X11 programs from the standard Terminal ?

The way I see it, being Unix based, it should be possible to use the standard Darwin terminal to run any X11 app ?

As before, with any Terminal or any other means of executing commands, you can run X11 programs if the DISPLAY env var is set correctly.
  • Reply 324 of 1176
    vortexvortex Posts: 18member
    Here's a general Panther question (it's not build specific):

Let's say you've started some time-consuming process, such as a download or installation. You then use fast user switching to switch to another account. In this other account, you surf the web, download a few files, check your mail, etc. for a short while. Now, if you then switch back to your original account, will the download/installation resume from where YOU had left it (as if it had been paused since you were in the other account) or will it have progressed an amount proportional to the time spent in the other account (as if the download/installation continued normally without pausing)?

Considering the fact that UNIX allows multiple simultaneous logins, I'd guess the latter is true. What do you think?

Advance thanks for your replies!
  • Reply 325 of 1176
    jasocojasoco Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

Well...that's kinda dumb that you can't. Hopefully by the final release they'll allow you to.

The problem I see here is they probably used separate graphics for each color, rather than one graphic and changing the Hue to make any color they want from the one image.

It's a stupid idea and if they used Hue adjustment more, they could have allowed us to change the Aqua blue to anything with the Color chooser and it could have been System-wide. But instead they insist on integrating separate Blue and Graphite resources into everything and making separate label images for each color.

So I guess the only way to actually change the color when Panther comes out is to hack the resources.

*sigh*
  • Reply 326 of 1176
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Does anyone with Panther build 7B21 have this glitch in Finder?

Does anyone who had 7B21 remember if this was the case? Thanks.

i.e. notice the chopped off edges on the buttons
  • Reply 327 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

The problem I see here is they probably used separate graphics for each color, rather than one graphic and changing the Hue to make any color they want from the one image.

It's a stupid idea and if they used Hue adjustment more, they could have allowed us to change the Aqua blue to anything with the Color chooser and it could have been System-wide. But instead they insist on integrating separate Blue and Graphite resources into everything and making separate label images for each color.

So I guess the only way to actually change the color when Panther comes out is to hack the resources.

*sigh*

They do need to think more sometimes.

The hue would make things a LOT easier for them too. And it would also make less of us complain about interface. Face it, the interface is not very customizable. Even Windows has more interface options than the Mac does.
  • Reply 328 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

*sigh*

And they could have presets for all the classic Apple® colors! In addition to Aqua Blue and Graphite, we'd have:

Bondi

Blueberry

Lime

Key Lime

Grape

Tangerine

Strawberry

Ruby

Indigo

Sage

Snow

Chrome and Pearl (like on new consumer Macs)

? maybe Blue dalmation and Flower Power, too, somehow?
  • Reply 329 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmitch

Does anyone with Panther build 7B21 have this glitch in Finder?

Does anyone who had 7B21 remember if this was the case? Thanks.

i.e. notice the chopped off edges on the buttons

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That reeeally bugs me.
  • Reply 330 of 1176
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That reeeally bugs me.

While I like the doubled-up back and forward widgets, the text label says only Back, even if you can only go Forward....and it never says Forward. And the text is not centered to the button

Regarding using hue adjustment, yes it would be good most of the time but not really. The aqua items are multi-hue to begin with (which, since few people bother to notice, is why when people make aqua-esque images, they tend to look lousy, since they tend to use one hue of blue).

Sliding the hue around might not always yield something attractive, although I'd certainly love the option regardless.

Audion did it well but again the colors they used tended to be one hue per part.

Aqua starts off purply, goes dark sky blue then into greenish blue. Now if the original is multi-hued then you merely slide the hue it will be ok usually. I assume you didn't mean to colorize a greyscale image, which does work but again is pretty flat compared to multi-hue parts.

Anyway, Apple, do something....more than a NOD towards customization please.
  • Reply 331 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

And they could have presets for all the classic Apple® colors! In addition to Aqua Blue and Graphite, we'd have:

Bondi

Blueberry

Lime

Key Lime

Grape

Tangerine

Strawberry

Ruby

Indigo

Sage

Snow

Chrome and Pearl (like on new consumer Macs)

? maybe Blue dalmation and Flower Power, too, somehow?

And then what those dreams end up doing is ticking us off because they're not there! I don't always feel like spending two hours putting a hue on every element just to get it a different color.
  • Reply 332 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vortex

Let's say you've started some time-consuming process, such as a download or installation. You then use fast user switching to switch to another account. In this other account, you surf the web, download a few files, check your mail, etc. for a short while. Now, if you then switch back to your original account, will the download/installation resume from where YOU had left it (as if it had been paused since you were in the other account) or will it have progressed an amount proportional to the time spent in the other account (as if the download/installation continued normally without pausing)?

The original account will continue without pausing.

I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!
  • Reply 333 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjapdk

I've tested this in another way: I logged into the first account, opened iTunes and started playing some music. Then I logged into the second account using fast user switching and the music continued to play! I could even start up iTunes in that second account and play some other music on top of the other!

Even though I don't use multiple users on 10.2, that'd be cool to play around with in Panther!
  • Reply 334 of 1176
    vortexvortex Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Wait ? so while you were in the second account, you could still hear the music from the first account?

That's awesome! I can't wait for Panther to come out!
  • Reply 335 of 1176
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vortex

Wait ? so while you were in the second account, you could still hear the music from the first account?

That's awesome! I can't wait for Panther to come out!

Sounds like a glitch to me. what if the second user wants to stop the first users music and listen to his own. can you do that ?
  • Reply 336 of 1176
    I'm assuming not. So that is a glitch, actually. What a glitch!

Just remember, turn your music off before switching! Then again, they should fix that problem. Active processes can still do their work, but iTunes should stop, and all movies or anything that makes sound should stop playing.

You'll need a fast computer to have active processes in two users at a time..sadly, I don't have that. Oh well =)
  • Reply 337 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Sounds like a glitch to me. what if the second user wants to stop the first users music and listen to his own. can you do that ?

No, I don't think you can. So you're probably right -it's a glitch.

But it still proves that processes keeps running even though you log into another account.
  • Reply 338 of 1176
    Quote:

This is a good thing?
  • Reply 339 of 1176
    From a post at Ars Technica:

"Also in the "because we can" department, the Image Capture app in 7B28 uses 3D fast-user switching style transitions to move from thumbnail to thumbnail in the camera download progress sheet. Pretty nifty."

Sounds VERY cool. Wonder how long before this finds its way into iPhoto?
  • Reply 340 of 1176
    The finder is very buggy in 7B28. The Finder crashes frequently. The top of the finder window is too narrow, so if you drag bottom-labeled folders up there for frequent access the label is cut off. I have noticed that dragging files out the left side of the window, over the iDisk icon, automatically mounts the iDisk even when I was just passing over and not trying to drop files on it. The menu bars of applications frequently over-write the icons in the top menu bar. The selection in the number of passes for secure trash is gone. The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there. There seems to be a new option in the general preferences of the Finder which allows you to select or deselect whether or not hard disks, servers and iPods are shown on the desktop (this may have been in 7B21 and I didn't notice it). The hard disc specs (number of files and space available) which usually appears at the bottom of the Finder window will pop up randomly in the middle of a folder. I'm not sure I have seen anyone mention it before, but there are a couple of cool new features with Classic. You are now able to access a pulldown menu of Apple Menu Items from the Classic/OS 9.2.2. The icon in the dock while starting Classic fills with color as it is starting up. And a new Classic menu bar icon displays gray when Classic is not running, orange when it is active, and blue when it is idle. The issue with the battery charge time in the menu bar now seems to be fixed. And Panther continues to sip battery power more conservatively than Jag-wire