Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 381 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    eww.

Do I want to know?
  • Reply 382 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I have no idea. I'm lost, I'll see ya tomorrow
  • Reply 383 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

eww.

Do I want to know?

Don't think so

She might live next door to you, though :P
  • Reply 384 of 1176
    Well there is a woman who lives in my townhome unit that until recently had a different man in her bed (with her 7 year old daughter down the hall) every two months at most. Sounds like something she might be able to perform, but I have to say she couldn't pay me enough.

• Reply 385 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Moogs, that's no way to talk about your mother.

*Now* you guys are wandering.
  • Reply 386 of 1176
    Bastard... and to think I just paid you a compliment in another thread.

• Reply 387 of 1176
    Back on topic with this query: Has there been any scuttlebutt on whether Panther is now feature-frozen?
  • Reply 388 of 1176
    I've not heard anything I can verify but I'd be surprised if they're not. And by feature frozen I mean major components will not be added. Adding or removing a menu command or button or whatever from any given app does not apply in this case IMO.

I think the next ADC build will be telling as to whether or not a September release is practical. Remember, from the day they go GM they still need 2-3 weeks to get the product into the channel. If they release a killer build Monday, that's less than 15 days from September, and killer or not they'd still have plenty of polish work to do to reach GM status from that branch. Populating the help files, fixing up the remaining icons, etc etc.

If it's a very stable, polished build, we might get lucky and see Panther on September 27 (the last Saturday of the month). Otherwise all bets are off.
  • Reply 389 of 1176
    7B39 has been posted to the dev site.

Once again, this release reflects extensive engineering efforts since the last seed (7B28), with issued addressed in almost every component of the OS. Here are some components that had the most extensive changes:

Address Book

Airport Admin

AppKit

ATS

Carbon Core

Core Audio

Core Graphics

Finder

Foundation

HIToolBox

JBoss

Kernel

Printing

QuickTime

QuickDraw

WebCore

WebKit
  • Reply 390 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amitofu

7B39 has been posted to the dev site.

Once again, this release reflects extensive engineering efforts since the last seed (7B28), with issued addressed in almost every component of the OS. Here are some components that had the most extensive changes:

Address Book

Airport Admin

AppKit

ATS

Carbon Core

Core Audio

Core Graphics

Finder

Foundation

HIToolBox

JBoss

Kernel

Printing

QuickTime

QuickDraw

WebCore

WebKit

They're working weekends? They must be tired, because JBoss is a part of Server not Client

Edit: And antialiasing of bold fonts are terrible in this build.
  • Reply 391 of 1176
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    A few Panther Finder questions:

1) Any sign of UMASK type funtionality in the Finder?

2) Regarding the interaction between the 'browser' and 'spatial' Finder modes: When using the 'browser' mode (in columns, for example), is it possible to configure the Finder so that double-clicking on on a folder will open that folder in a new spatial Finder mode (toolbar-less) window? Under Jag, setting "Always open folders in a new window" does not behave this way: new windows open with the toolbar (browser style), and clicking on folders in the toolbar opens them in a new window rather than in the same window.

TIA.
  • Reply 392 of 1176
    the things id love to see in this version of the finder is well, not have one thing work and one thing fixed, in 7b21 it was no labels, but zip from the finder, and in 7b28 it had labels working and zip archiving from the finder broken, so itd be nice to see both working at their best.

other then that i must say that apple is doing a dynamite job on panther so far, it boots far quicker then jag, has some things in the app launching department, but the new finder is faster and kick ass

jobs was right, "we have a kickass OS"
  • Reply 393 of 1176
    Thanks Amitofu.
  • Reply 394 of 1176
    I just discovered why I couldn't download the damn updates from ADC. The FTP site won't work with Safari! Here I thought that the site was just overloaded, but my partner told me to try IE this weekend and BAM I got the files. How funny... Oh and I got them just in time for the new build to be released.. sigh.
  • Reply 395 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I just discovered why I couldn't download the damn updates from ADC. The FTP site won't work with Safari! Here I thought that the site was just overloaded, but my partner told me to try IE this weekend and BAM I got the files. How funny... Oh and I got them just in time for the new build to be released.. sigh.

Look in the Finder. Safari mounts ftp servers in the Finder.

Better yet - use an ftp client.
  • Reply 396 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    has ftp been fixed in b39? in 21 you mount it and if you wanted to copy files to it it asked you to authenticate, but it still wouldn't let you copy it.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 397 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Look in the Finder. Safari mounts ftp servers in the Finder.

Better yet - use an ftp client.

That's just it, Safari would switch to the finder but never mount the server. Who knows...
  • Reply 398 of 1176
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I just discovered why I couldn't download the damn updates from ADC. The FTP site won't work with Safari!

It's flaky, but it does work - restart Safari and then tell Fetch to be the Internet Config helper, and then restart Fetch. I just got all 3 CDs this way. I got a couple of error boxes in Safari that the URL was bad, but that was cured by restarting Safari.
  • Reply 399 of 1176
    Did anyone attempt an upgrade from b21 or 21 to 39?
  • Reply 400 of 1176
    Okay I did the upgrade from b21. This build 39 is very very fast. Menus are a huge improvement from other builds, and that's saying something because they were extremely snappy in the last 2 builds!