Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

in Simple Finder you still have metal windows, this

terminology could confuse people

Bzzt. Wrong! In Simple Finder mode, it IS an Aqua window, not metal. Furthermore, you only have *one* window, not windows.
  • Reply 102 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

My opinion...

its too STOOPID really. I use Finder Windows with and without toolbar

criss cross and with this metal AND aqua appearance in the Finder it

seems like one is using 2 applications instead of one...

Cmon Apple make up your mind... to brushed ot not to brushed.

While I agree that the Finder is rather schizophrenic like this, it is what everyone else has been clamoring for for quite a while now. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much what John Siracusa was asking for, except his idea was to break it up into 2 apps instead of 2 modes. Personally, I think either of these approaches (2 apps or 2 modes) have their disadvantages.

-----

Q: In the Classic Finder mode, does it use column view and list view too, or just icon view?
  • Reply 103 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Q: In the Classic Finder mode, does it use column view and list view too, or just icon view?

Just like in Classic Mac OS, you choose the mode from the View menu. You can use icon, list, or columns.
  • Reply 104 of 1176
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Just like in Classic Mac OS, you choose the mode from the View menu. You can use icon, list, or columns.

So how do you like it so far as compared to 10.2.X and the developer version of Panther?

And I hate to ask this but is it really faster than 10.2.X?
  • Reply 105 of 1176
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

better Finder look/layout imo

http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar/no_icons.jpg

I want that!

And that's what Apple should do, let people decide which look they want (aqua/metal) and also let them decide if they want the sidebar and/or the top bar or not. Some people don't want a "simple" OS with only two sets of options: an either too simplistic view, or a slow and ugly view. I want to enable what I like and disable what I don't like. That's what I call "simple".
  • Reply 106 of 1176
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Fixed. It had an extra trailing ".pdf" on the name from when I converted them to png.

Thanks for jumping on this so quickly, Brad.
  • Reply 107 of 1176
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:

better Finder look/layout imo

http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar/no_icons.jpg

That's definitely the cleanest looking Finder I've seen. Apple should take notes.
  • Reply 108 of 1176
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

As a matter of fact, it's pretty much what John Siracusa was asking for, except his idea was to break it up into 2 apps instead of 2 modes.

You're wrong on both counts.
  • Reply 109 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

You're wrong on both counts.

I believe what John wants (speak of the devil!) is a return of spatial navigation in the Finder -- as the central, even primary, means of file navigation in OS X. All browse-in-place activity would take place in a new kind of window (within in the Finder), a Finder Browser.

I don't suspect that's going to happen, but do hope that spatial navigation will become a full and equal citizen alongside browse-in-place.

It does seem that Panther -- if the Finder team gets the details right -- will do a fair amount in achieving that... though not ideal, I'm sure, for the true-blue spatialites.
  • Reply 110 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

That's definitely the cleanest looking Finder I've seen. Apple should take notes.

That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons.

The sidebar items can be removed and the slider moved over to make that exact same setup.
  • Reply 111 of 1176
    b_loveb_love Posts: 3member
    i'm surprised no one has asked what's new in Safari 1.1!!! i am really curious, i love this browser and i hope we get some more options...is it any different from 1.0??
  • Reply 112 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Well they sure didn't fix the copy/paste bug that was posted about on david hyatt's website. It looks like this build was too old to get the web outlook, copy paste bug fix.

We'll see them in a version of safari that's out already, but just not out to us.

Nothing new, it just feels more solid and stable.
  • Reply 113 of 1176
    b_loveb_love Posts: 3member
    i'm not familiar with that bug, could you paste a link to a thread on it please? i just use keyboard shortcuts for copying and pasting URLs in Safari, but this is probably related to some other form of copying and pasting....
  • Reply 114 of 1176
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

While I agree that the Finder is rather schizophrenic like this, it is what everyone else has been clamoring for for quite a while now. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much what John Siracusa was asking for, except his idea was to break it up into 2 apps instead of 2 modes. Personally, I think either of these approaches (2 apps or 2 modes) have their disadvantages.

Two ways of doing something is one way too many.

I like the fuctionality of the new metal Finder, but the appearance of the "new" classic style aqua Finder. Hey Steve, why must I choose between these? Give me the best of both worlds!
  • Reply 115 of 1176
    amitofuamitofu Posts: 59member
    In response to the auto activation of fonts--this does not happen. I typed some text into TextEdit using the Papyrus font. Then I quit TextEdit and disabled Papyrus in Font Book. When I reopened my TextEdit document it defaulted to a generic font. As mentioned already the version of Font Book in 7B21 is v14. The version in the WWDC DP is v9. (I have different machines running both versions of Panther)

The only change I have noticed in Safari is the addition of a "Writing Direction" submenu in the context menu of textareas. The only item under this submenu is "Right to Left". Even when using Hebrew as the keyboard layout, only left to right text is allowed (perhaps this functionality is still being implemented).

I forget if this has been mentioned or not but there does not appear to be any Exchange support from within iCal. At least the preferences do not indicate any.

Also of note, the "Ports Manager" program that appeared in the Utilities folder of the WWDC DP but never worked has been removed from 7B21.

There seems to be a lot more integration with speech in this release. For example Calculator will now speak the keys you type which is great so that you can double check yourself audibly. Chess also allows you to speak moves (but this may always have been there). Combined with the new (unimpressive) voices it seems there is a conscious effort over at Apple to create a multi-sensual computing experience.

Edit: Also, regarding the Accounts preference pane. This is clearly still being developed and I am positive that the square buttons will not make it into the final release. At The Aqua Feedback session at WWDC the aqua team made many allusions to interface elements that are merely placeholders as functionality is added. They said there is much functionality that is under development but is left out of the betas because it is too "beta". I think Apple has plans for more robust user privilege management in Panther and the current Security tab is just there until the new version is stable enough to be released in beta form.

-Chris
  • Reply 116 of 1176
    Brad, has Image Capture been updated? If so, could you provide screenshots??

Wow....

-------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 117 of 1176
    Image Capture now has a Devices menu which lists all connected and shared devices. The old image Capture had separate Sharing and Devices items under the File menu. Sharing is now controlled from a Sharing tab in the new preferences window.

I would post pictures but I don't want to post NDA'd images under my name. Perhaps Brad will do the liberty.

-Chris
  • Reply 118 of 1176
    Since I am in a blabbery mood I will comment a little on the Finder. I think the two modes complement each other well, though the method of switching between them is counter-intuitive--and now there is no way to hide the toolbar of the metal Finder window

Interesting, you can still use Column view in spatial finder windows and it seems to set the root column to the Computer and not the spatial folder that is open. You can't scroll the columns back, however, because of a redraw bug.

-Chris
  • Reply 119 of 1176
    I am a pirate and I should know better than coming to AppleInsider seeking technical support for my pirating ways. Please laugh at me and mock me for my evil ways!
  • Reply 120 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    the calculator could always speak to you. Also I hope they are updating speech. It appears that way, the new "Vicki" voice is hacked up like they haven't update speech yet. Lets hope they do. If you've ever heard AT&T voice demos Apple should be using those in their OS. Those are high quality speech so good you can think it's a human at times.

I wish at&t would allow more characters and I write an app that could text to speech everything with the at&t voices instead of the crappy speech ones.

http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/