Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    response to Moogs:

By latest you mean the 7B** builds this thread is talking about? Sounds like the answer is one Finder that is either metal or pinstripes depending on how you have it configured. The "new" Finder from WWDC with its toolbar and sidebar is metal is still around, but from what Jonathan is saying, if you turn off the toolbar and sidebar, it goes to the pinstripes appearance.

Brad: Thanks!!! [fixed]

w00t! Exchange! Nothing in Mail though? yet.

w00t! Now Chess can kick my ass with snazzier graphics! w00t! Sidebar can hide both iDisk and Network!

Whoa, the icon opening zoom thing is like a simple composited video effect but in real time. Makes you wonder what other niceties they can do with Quartz.

[added] Can you just explain/describe what some of those font panel things do, especially the sliders? Grazie!
  • Reply 42 of 1176
    Oh, I forgot to take shots of the updated iCal 1.5, iChat, and Safari 1.1. I'll get to them later along with anything else I think I forgot and any requests.

CHECK THE PAGES I LINKED AT THE TOP OF MY PREVIOUS POST BEFORE MAKING REQUESTS.
  • Reply 43 of 1176
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I do not like the new lock icon

...that being said...where the heck if my G5 and Panther so I can be happy!
  • Reply 44 of 1176
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    heh jaguar vs panther chess...
  • Reply 45 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This was covered in the last thread, but does list view now have alternate line shading a la iTunes in this latest version? I know it didn't in the previous version.
  • Reply 46 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

This was covered in the last thread, but does list view now have alternate line shading a la iTunes in this latest version?

No, it does not. List view has changed, though. I'll have to take pictures of that too later.
  • Reply 47 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Brad you kick gluteous maximus.

PS - Thanks Rotto for the clarification....
  • Reply 48 of 1176
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Brad,

Glad to hear you're open to requests...

How about:

Address Book (exchange support is COOL thanks for the png proof)

Mail.app (is said to have exchange support too, can you confirm this?)

iCal (any sign of exchange support in that too... I bet not but)

I guess you can you tell my place of work is (just now) moving to exchange... otherwise I wouldn't be so interested in this kinda stuff.

Dave
  • Reply 49 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Well ical is updated to version 1.5 so maybe it does have exchange support. I don't have an exchange server to test or I would.

Scroll directories full of pictures, with preview on at large icon sizes is "a shit ton faster" for lack of a better term.
  • Reply 50 of 1176
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It all looks great -- I'm most wowed by the additions to the Font Panel.

It looks like Panther has added some serious text enhancements to Cocoa. Very very cool.

Like BuonRotto, I'd love to hear (or see) more about the new functionality there as well... I can guess most but not all from the widgets.

Thanks Brad--
  • Reply 51 of 1176
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

Well ical is updated to version 1.5 so maybe it does have exchange support. I don't have an exchange server to test or I would.

Well does any of the new iCal prefs show any indication that exchange support is available? When iCal first came out I remember hearing 'exchange support' (and IIRC it was said by someone at Apple) but then nothing ever came of it... boy that would be nice...

Where I work we have 500+ users moving from HP OpenMail (blech) to MS Exchange (also blech) and the last thing I want is to be forcing users into using Entourage (unlike ppl like us - most 'users' don't like big changes) - don't get me wrong, Entourage is nice but some people still want to use Eudora or Mail.app or 'whatever'.... I've got the exchange group to turn on POP and IMAP support so that has taken care of mail and we have a normal unix ldap server (being populated from our AD servers) so we can still do non-authenticated ldap lookups but the last step is Cal support... If entourage is the only client that can access it'll be kinda messy to explain to users that you can still use your favored email client and only use entourage for cal services...

Dave
  • Reply 52 of 1176
    Multi-Session burning! It's about bloody time!

Is Scan and OCR implemented yet?

And of course, thanks Brad.
  • Reply 53 of 1176
    Font Panel royally pisses me off why the HELL can't I have a freaking option to have a font menu?

I gotta open a stupid #(%*#)%#&%)(#*&%)#& window everytime I wanna change a font.
  • Reply 54 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Multi-Session burning! It's about bloody time!

Is Scan and OCR implemented yet?

And of course, thanks Brad.

Multi-session burning has been around for awhile. Its in Disc Copy. I use it every so often in Jag.
  • Reply 55 of 1176
    iCal 1.5 is a nice update. No more stupid panel that pops up to ad new events. Just edit it right in the window. Right click works everywhere. And a slide drawer (similar to mail) lets you store notes and all the settings for events (new inspector)

Ohh. and it's much faster ;-)

if somebody has a dummy account they can setup on an exchange server or something of the likes I will be more than happy to test it out for you.
  • Reply 56 of 1176
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Has anyone mentioned what compression format Panther uses with its new archive command? Macrumors posted a French report that claimed it was zip, but that simply can't be right, can it?
  • Reply 57 of 1176
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the picture in this thread shows .ZIP
  • Reply 58 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And why can't that be right, Big Mac?
  • Reply 59 of 1176
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Windows friendly attachments
  • Reply 60 of 1176
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    It's .zip, it hangs the Finder on large files, and it doesn't support resource forks.

this is from various reports around the web... Could anyone confirm?