Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 121 of 1176
    amitofuamitofu Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally posted by awilkinson

I am a pirate and I should know better than coming to AppleInsider seeking technical support for my pirating ways. Please laugh at me and mock me for my evil ways!!

YARR MATEY!!
  • Reply 122 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    I also notice they fixed textedit in this build so that righ clicking again has the alternative spellings for words right at the top. They also changed the suggested words to offer more choices (around 8 now!), more like Windows. This is a good thing and helps me out in day to day editing quite a bit.
  • Reply 123 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons.

Its not identical! it's Aqua and a helluvalot better imo

Sure it has the sidebar, coz it has the same functions

but I wouldnt have the feeling I want to make a playlist

I see what you people mean by calling the Aqua part of

the Finder Simple Mode, if a user had only acces to Simple

Finder all windows are Aqua. (no metal) Windows work completely

different though, you can then only have ONE window open..

If you are an admin I wouldnt call it Simple Finder Mode but Multi

Window Mode coz you can have as many toolbarless windows that

you want.
  • Reply 124 of 1176
    Time for our regular reminder, folks. Do not post here either asking for access to these builds or requesting technical support with these builds. If you are having legitimate issues with the builds you are downloading from Apple, you should contact Apple directly.

Because this software is supposed to be distrubuted in private channels to Apple developers only, any such posts asking for support will be treated as if they fall under the following circumstances:

Quote:

From the Posting Guidelines:

11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

Emphasis mine. We've already had to enforce this policy recently with the release of Panther builds. We will not hesitate to do so again.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • Reply 125 of 1176
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    Originally posted by Brad

That's identical to Panther's finder except that it's Aqua instead of brushed metal and the separated back/forward buttons

Just being a smarta___ but, what does identical mean ? Is that like twins where one is identical and the other is not ?

Anyway, thanks for all the great panther stuff.
  • Reply 126 of 1176
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

I believe what John wants (speak of the devil!) is a return of spatial navigation in the Finder -- as the central, even primary, means of file navigation in OS X.

How much (or whether) the Spatial Finder is used should be up to the individual user.
  • Reply 127 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    John, I guess I could use a little clarification on how your Finder proposal differs from what's being offered in this build then. Thanks!
  • Reply 128 of 1176
    Didn't I write a big article on this topic or something?

Obviously, I will comment on the Finder as it exists in the final release version of Panther. But there's little sense in picking apart reports of developer builds, IMO, since I'd just be making more work for myself

In the meantime, I think anyone who really cares how "pre-release Finder build XYZ" compares with my proposal has the information required to make such a comparison. Maybe I'll post some clarifications later, but answering specific questions would be easier than rewriting the whole article (which you've all read, of course... ;-)
  • Reply 129 of 1176
    Quote:

SYN wrote:

It's .zip, it hangs the Finder on large files, and it doesn't support resource forks.

Zip is easily extensible to handle things like resource forks. It was the compression format of choice for BeOS, and it handled Be's "attributes" (very similar to MacOS resources) easily enough. I would expect Apple to extend zip similarly. Hey, I'm sure there are some ex-Be employees looking for a job that could do it for them! :-)
  • Reply 130 of 1176
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

Obviously, I will comment on the Finder as it exists in the final release version of Panther. But there's little sense in picking apart reports of developer builds, IMO, since I'd just be making more work for myself

That seems fair. In case you have insanely great ideas, Apple will have the chance to implement then to your liking AFTER the development phase is done? Great plan!
  • Reply 131 of 1176
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid Ellis

Zip is easily extensible to handle things like resource forks. It was the compression format of choice for BeOS, and it handled Be's "attributes" (very similar to MacOS resources) easily enough. I would expect Apple to extend zip similarly. Hey, I'm sure there are some ex-Be employees looking for a job that could do it for them! :-)

i'm both impressed by your use of color for BE OS and saddened that u took the time to do that haha
  • Reply 132 of 1176
    Quote:

ast3r3x wrote:

i'm both impressed by your use of color for BE OS and saddened that u took the time to do that haha

It was easy thanks to the wonder of vB Code.
  • Reply 133 of 1176
    inkhead:

a few questions on ical 1.5 if you don't mind...

1) have any networking functions (i.e. calendar sharing) been activated?

2) is there an option to set a reminder for tasks?

thanks

badlydrawnboy

Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

iCal 1.5 is a nice update. No more stupid panel that pops up to ad new events. Just edit it right in the window. Right click works everywhere. And a slide drawer (similar to mail) lets you store notes and all the settings for events (new inspector)

Ohh. and it's much faster ;-)

if somebody has a dummy account they can setup on an exchange server or something of the likes I will be more than happy to test it out for you.

• Reply 134 of 1176
    Quote:

That seems fair. In case you have insanely great ideas, Apple will have the chance to implement then to your liking AFTER the development phase is done? Great plan!

My "insanely great ideas" for the Finder were in an article published before Panther DP was released.
  • Reply 135 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Brad / Inkhead:

Re: iCal

Can you now visually split the same event across days or parts of a single day? That is, start on Monday, skip Tuesday, finish Wednesday. OR, Start and 9:00 a.m., stop at 11:00 a.m., continue and finish from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m?

Until iCal can visually do things like this without forcing users to create multiple instances of the same event, it will be [difficult for many business types to use it effectively].
  • Reply 136 of 1176
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    This has been bothering me with Jaguar, and I'm wondering if it's been fixed [or improved?] in Jaguar .....

When you have multiple "locations" for your network settings ....

In Jaguar :

If you have an icon in the menubar for your "dial-up" connection, that icon still stays there when you switch to a different location that doesn't require that icon being there [thus, taking up space that's un-needed].

Is this behavior different in panther? or still the same?

I have about 5-6 different location settings (thanks to my powerbook's mobility for that ) and I really hate having all of the icons up in the menubar all at once [dial-up, PPPoE, airport, etc.]. I would prefer to only have them show up when I'm using that "location" setting.

\
  • Reply 137 of 1176
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    I'd love to see some iCal screenshots. Can one of you post some?

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Cheers,

John
  • Reply 138 of 1176
    jasocojasoco Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

better Finder look/layout imo

http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar/no_icons.jpg

My one peeve is.. well, two actually.

1. I don't like all the wasted space on the border there. Tell me that it is possible to have multiple versions of these windows open? If so, it's just a waste of space. Even if it was only 3 pixels thick instead of.. what looks like 8 or so.

2. I wanna remove just the Sidebar, or just the Toolbar. I want the option to have the toolbar available but not open in the same window. Or at the very least, cram a Search box in the Status bar so I can at least use that. I hate having to toggle the toolbar now to search from the current location. I do this all the time.

3. Ok, so there's three. Sosumi! Anyway, I would prefer if instead of that side bar Apple made it into a sort of "Dock" that lives on the side or bottom of the screen and appears when you start dragging a file. Not only would it take less room, but it'd be damn cool. And it'd have all the volumes listed as well as being customizable like the Dock. But I'll see when it comes out.

Quote:

Originally posted by Reid Ellis

I don't MIND the Zip format, but the way I've always been able to tell when a file is usable on my Mac and not some Windows specific file/application compressed is by the extension. If it was a SIT or HQX I'd know, KNOW that it would work on my iMac and I didn't need to fear. Now it's just gonna get more confusing.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnpg

I'd love to see some iCal screenshots. Can one of you post some?

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Cheers,

John

I too would like to see iCal if it's been changed at all. I use it all the time as sort of a Journal. Also so I know my work schedule. And since I'm in there all the time, I might as well see what is coming soon.

My friend was gonna "acquire" me a copy of 10.3, but it was probably an older one. Now I don't know if I even wanna bother with what looks to be completely outdated now.

All I ask of Apple is a DATE! And I don't mean December 31st.
  • Reply 139 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

My one peeve is.. well, two actually.

1. I don't like all the wasted space on the border there. Tell me that it is possible to have multiple versions of these windows open? If so, it's just a waste of space. Even if it was only 3 pixels thick instead of.. what looks like 8 or so.

its just a mockup, just an idear to show how the same 10.3 Finder

with the same functions as the original brushed 10.3 Finder would

look if it had an Aqua interface

Its basically the same darn application only with (much better imo)

an Aqua interface. So it can have searchbox etc, whatever you want.

The real 10.3 Finder has this extra space too, needs it to separate

the sidebar. I agree it could be a lot thinner, but that is up to Apple.
  • Reply 140 of 1176
    jasocojasoco Posts: 75member
    If they made it using standard tools, it could be up to us. I'd hack that first thing out of the box.