Panther release date

lucluc
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me if there is a definite date for the release of Panther? Some says September or October at the very latest...

please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    There is no definitive release-date for Panther yet. But you'll have it before 2004, and the current state of Panther development implies that you'll have it well before 2004
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Probably the end of Sep. is what I'm thinking...
  • Reply 3 of 74
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm guessing that the official release date will be late september, but maybe that will be pushed to Halloween.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    lucluc Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm guessing that the official release date will be late september, but maybe that will be pushed to Halloween.

Thanks guys! I guess we are all waiting for the Pather to come out jungle! I just hope we won't have to pay a full price if we are only upgrading!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luc

I just hope we won't have to pay a full price if we are only upgrading!!!!

No, Apple is going to charge $129 no matter what...I guess that's the way things are now...you'd think they'd try and be nice by lowering the price just a little...
  • Reply 6 of 74
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    They should for users of the the previous version. That's the only reason I'm still wondering if I should buy it or not.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

They should for users of the the previous version. That's the only reason I'm still wondering if I should buy it or not.

No offense but wow...I cannot believe there are still people who gripe about the price year after year. So you buy a PowerMac G4 from Apple say in 2001 (when Mac OS X came out) and you do not buy another Mac for say five years...is paying 129.00 a year for an OS upgrade really a lot to ask from Apple?

Okay so you buy a .Mac account, an iPod, an iSight...

So in one year you spend around an additional 700.00 on Apple...

Does it really hurt to support Apple to purchase their OS to support the company, and its developers? Espically when you get six free iApp's for free with the purchase of the OS/hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

No offense but wow...I cannot believe there are still people who gripe about the price year after year. So you buy a PowerMac G4 from Apple say in 2001 (when Mac OS X came out) and you do not buy another Mac for say five years...is paying 129.00 a year for an OS upgrade really a lot to ask from Apple?

Okay so you buy a .Mac account, an iPod, an iSight...

So in one year you spend around an additional 700.00 on Apple...

Does it really hurt to support Apple to purchase their OS to support the company, and its developers? Espically when you get six free iApp's for free with the purchase of the OS/hardware.

I don't have an .Mac account cuz I'm not willing to pay that annual fee, I want an iPod, I don't have an iSight, my last computer was bought in 2000 or something as a birthday present and it's a G3 iMac. It's not a lot to spend if you bought all that stuff in the past. It's not a lot to spend if, from what you get to see before hand, it looks like you can't live without it. Yeah, I know they need support and all, but if I'm gonna spend $130 on an upgrade for a system, it should have what I want in it. I'm still waiting for some things to be implemented in OS X. So I could possibly just wait. I don't have a job or anything, and if I did, yeah, it wouldn't be a lot, because all I'd have to do is keep the money on the side. I'm just reaching the age of being able to get a job; my brother bought 10.1 and 10.2, and I still owe him half the money for 10.2 (we split the cost). I'd pay him that, because 10.2 does seem worth the jump. 10.3 will be too, but maybe, just maybe, I can boost my computer with RAM and stay a little behind for just one year.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    The guys at Apple told me end of September
  • Reply 10 of 74
    I was just at a CompUSA in San Deigo where a G4 tower was running a "Pictures Folder" screensaver with G5 publicity/advertising.

The "About This Mac" dialog box showed Mac OS X Version 10.3.

Looks like it's shipping on new Macs already...

• Reply 11 of 74
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
  • Reply 12 of 74
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think that the argument if you don't want to pay then don't buy it applies now. It DID NOT apply to the crappy alpha software they called 10.0 and the beta 10.1. Only now in this era of true Mac OS X of 10.2 can they legitimately say they have a product that was worth it.

Now I think they can say, "this is an upgrade, not necessary to do work, but only an upgrade for additional streamlining and features." That is a reasonable time to charge money. They should refund the earlier upgrade money though...
  • Reply 13 of 74
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

They should refund the earlier upgrade money though...

What do you mean by earlier upgrade money?
  • Reply 14 of 74
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think he means the upgrade for 10.2.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I think he means the upgrade for 10.2.

There wasn't any upgrade - or does he mean the $129?
  • Reply 16 of 74
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

There wasn't any upgrade - or does he mean the $129?

Apparently there was... check out this page.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Isn't that the educational price($79.99)?
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Apparently there was... check out this page.

There wasn't. The only upgrade CDs out there are the ones bought by people who bought 10.1 or a new Mac after the release date of 10.2 was announced.

The cost of those upgrade CDs were $19.95 for S&H.

But the site you linked too seems to sell CDs included with Macs and you can buy Mac OS 9.1 for $199.99, or how about 10.1.3 for $179.99?

AFAIK it's illegal to sell those 10.2 upgrade CDs.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tcooper

I was just at a CompUSA in San Deigo where a G4 tower was running a "Pictures Folder" screensaver with G5 publicity/advertising.

The "About This Mac" dialog box showed Mac OS X Version 10.3.

Looks like it's shipping on new Macs already...

I went to an unnamed Australian University on Friday to help replace the hard drives in two eMacs and the display assembly in another.

In their server room they've got a Dell workgroup server running Win 2k server and an eMac running 10.3 server (WWDC).

It seems like every second Mac user is running Panther. Just goes to show how freakin' cool Panther is I guess!

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 74
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    release date = December 15th