Panther release date

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/panther7B53.html

This sure sounds like the end of this month to me.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    End of this month to hit GM, first part of next Month to duplicate, package and distribute the CDs more likely....
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

End of this month to hit GM, first part of next Month to duplicate, package and distribute the CDs more likely....

Pessimist!
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Another reason I think it's likely that we will see this in September is that look how long it's been since we've seen an OS, Apple software, update. We haven't gone this long for quite awhile. I think it's waiting for Panther.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Well if this 10.2.8 stuff is true maybe I'm wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Now that Steve has repeated "end of this year" as the target, does anyone still expect to see it before December? I think not.

I just can't come up with an explanation to what they're gonna do with the friggen OS all that time. The current build had two known bugs when it was seeded.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I just can't come up with an explanation to what they're gonna do with the friggen OS all that time. The current build had two known bugs when it was seeded.

They can always work on more new features.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

They can always work on more new features.

Of course, but wouldn't it just be better to get the OS out with the advertised, new features, and add the new features in incremental, 10.3.x-updates?

I don't see what they'll earn by adding more and more features to an already superb update.

I just don't get it.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I was about to chime in the fact that Jobs repeated a few times "by the end of 2003" which got some blank stares from me and some other people sitting next to me at the keynote.

I have a funny feeling our friends at Apple are experiencing some small but show-stopping problems they just cant get past.

Thats the trouble with an OS and the frequent updates one like OSX gets. Each year there are more and more features, and that means they all have to play nice with eachother and also with third party software/hardware.

I somehow don't see things getting easier in the OS front for Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Of course, but wouldn't it just be better to get the OS out with the advertised, new features, and add the new features in incremental, 10.3.x-updates?

What was the last time a Mac OS X x.x.1 update added any major features?

Major features are for x.1 updates.

Bug fixes and minor features are for x.x.1 updates.

That's how the versioning system works for Apple and most major software developers (well, if you shift the decimal by one place, that is).
  • Reply 51 of 74
    The builds coming out now sound quite stable, if there are some nagging issues. Judging by their apparent quality, I can't imagine that the "by the end of the year" is meant to be that ominous.

I also don't imagine Apple throwing more features into the OS at this point, unless the whole seeding process has been a farce (which is even more doubtful). It's taken them from at least May until now to get the majority of bugs squashed in Panther with the given feature set. Intorducing new ones, would put them right back where they were about 4-5 months ago, probably further back than that.

If Apple were nervous about Panther slipping drastically, they probably would cover their bases and change the "end of the year" mantra to something like "beginning of the year," "end of the fiscal year," or "by winter."
  • Reply 52 of 74
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What was the last time a Mac OS X x.x.1 update added any major features?

Major features are for x.1 updates.

Bug fixes and minor features are for x.x.1 updates.

That's how the versioning system works for Apple and most major software developers (well, if you shift the decimal by one place, that is).

IIRC, journaling came with the 10.2.2 update. That it came out in a x.x.x update was a surprise, to be sure, but it did happen.

That said, I don't expect them to be putting new features in a 10.3.x update. Just wondering what the hold up is...
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

IIRC, journaling came with the 10.2.2 update. That it came out in a x.x.x update was a surprise, to be sure, but it did happen.

Feh, I figured someone else would remember that. Actually, journaling had been in development for 10.2 but wasn't ready in time for the GM.

Regardless, this is a feature that was never highly publicized and that most users still have probably never heard of. I think by "major features" Zapchud probably means features that are important enough to go on one of Apple's big bullet lists.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Feh, I figured someone else would remember that. Actually, journaling had been in development for 10.2 but wasn't ready in time for the GM.

Regardless, this is a feature that was never highly publicized and that most users still have probably never heard of. I think by "major features" Zapchud probably means features that are important enough to go on one of Apple's big bullet lists.

Journaling is on by default in 10.3, no? At least, I think it changed my external HD to Journaled when I installed it... it wasn't that way before (I don't think...).
  • Reply 55 of 74
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i still maintain that it will be in stores before 11/28
  • Reply 56 of 74
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

i still maintain that it will be in stores before 11/28

Definitely. Not to be too cynical, but I have the feeling that the built-up demand for new PowerBooks (esp. the long-delayed 15" rev) has not gone unnoticed by Apple, and they chose not announce Panther's date in order to maximize Panther sales.

Once they announce the release date, they've got to offer an up-to-date program.

Panther sales are pure profit. It's smart to wait a bit after a new hardware release before announcing.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I honestly think Jobs mentioned "by end of year" just to make it clear that if anything happens and it is delivered late, they said so...

It could be next week as it could be in 2 months...
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

Brad, the only one talking about major or minor features here is you. By new features, I actually meant minor, less important features. I think the major ones should've been implemented already, with just debugging left.

Starting to add new, major features now would seem a bit late to me. They could always wait until 10.4, as there'll be more and more of a problem to justify the upgrade price of $129, so please, don't delay Panther by months for features that can wait.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Do we have an idea on pricing for education yet? Students could get Jag for like $60. Can I do the same again?
  • Reply 60 of 74
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    IF you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.

At your point of knowledge and forsight for the 10.3, you really can't be a uninformed consumer, that can't get away with saying you got swindled.

Talking about major and minor is like a grandma trying to haggle with a 17yr old sales employee at Macys.

You buy it or your don't end of story.

Back to the release date though, this is odd. This is the first time we have so little information so close to a complete GM OS. We're down to like 1 or 2 known bugs, yet no one has made any official statement yet. The new apple OSX release model?

Well maybe when the first fc hits, they will stop playing the dodging game.

~Kuku