October 25th
  • Reply 22 of 74
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    September 25th is my guess.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tcooper

I was just at a CompUSA in San Deigo where a G4 tower was running a "Pictures Folder" screensaver with G5 publicity/advertising.

The "About This Mac" dialog box showed Mac OS X Version 10.3.

Looks like it's shipping on new Macs already...

can someone confirm this? i've been putting off my g5 purchase partially cuz i heard it wouldn't ship with x.3. what happened to x.2.7?
  • Reply 24 of 74
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

can someone confirm this? i've been putting off my g5 purchase partially cuz i heard it wouldn't ship with x.3. what happened to x.2.7?

New Macs aren't shipping with 10.3 - the store probably just had one the DPs installed to let customers see what Panther will offer.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

New Macs aren't shipping with 10.3 - the store probably just had one the DPs installed to let customers see what Panther will offer.

..Which would be cool to see...man I gotta get to one of those stores!
  • Reply 26 of 74
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I spoke with a representative of Apple today who said that Panther would be released in time to sit on your couch with your powerbook (not G5) and surf the internet and watch the World Series. He also gave a non-answer answer about the upgrade cost of Panter for people who purchased G5's. His statement was something to the effect that according to past experience you would get a free upgrade to Panther if your purchase with within 30 days of the release of Panter. This was his way of saying he can't say. I guess we'll see when someone gets their G5 and there's a coupon for a free upgrade to Panther. He also said that 10.2.7 would be released as a normal update for all computers running 10.2.X.

BTW, Representative does not equal some sales representative at an Apple Store. He was an Apple Engineer.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Man, I hope that's soon..cuz I actually want to buy it now..
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Bah! I can hold out 'til Mac OS XI.

I'm kidding, 10.1.5 IS A NIGHTMARE. BEEN TOO LONG. NEED NEW.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Either September 27th (optimistic), October 18 (likely), or October 25 (conservative)... or December 20 (cynical bastard)

I say this will be a close-to-Halloween release, since Panther fits that mode. Good way to market the thing (clever slogans and all). Gotta be out before the holiday season too, in order to get those gift sales up.

• Reply 30 of 74
    As much as I want Panther now (and I mean RIGHT NOW), I hope Apple takes there time and doesn't release Panther until October (at the earliest).

The very first release of OSX (dang ... that was a while back) had WAY too many bugs IMHO. Panther is supposed to bring us a TON of new features ... just like the first release of X promised ... but I want to know for sure that it will work on my Mac.

Like many people in these forums, I can't afford a new computer computer right now (and personally, I don't think I NEED a new computer). That said, I still want to take advantage of some of what Panther offers. Sure, Panther will kick @ss on the new G5, but will it blow you away on a 500MHz Pismo? How about a 333MHz iMac? There's a REAL test.

All the news I've heard at this point says the same thing: Panther has a ton of bugs when you use it on older machines (at least for the moment). I don't want Apple to release Panther until they are pretty sure there won't be any major bugs in using Panther on an old Powerbook ... or iMac ... or PowerMac.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    My guess... (since you asked for it!)...

Is that Panther will be released in Paris ... September 16-20.

But what the heck do I know ?
  • Reply 32 of 74
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

But what the heck do I know ?

Probably next to nothing.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    i hope its before '04 cuz im on 10.1.5 and any new app i want to download needs 10.2
  • Reply 34 of 74
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

i hope its before '04 cuz im on 10.1.5 and any new app i want to download needs 10.2

It will amlost definetely come before '04 (Jobs said so at WWDC.) Based on progress, many people are thinking it will come out October or so.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

There wasn't. The only upgrade CDs out there are the ones bought by people who bought 10.1 or a new Mac after the release date of 10.2 was announced.

The cost of those upgrade CDs were $19.95 for S&H.

But the site you linked too seems to sell CDs included with Macs and you can buy Mac OS 9.1 for $199.99, or how about 10.1.3 for $179.99?

AFAIK it's illegal to sell those 10.2 upgrade CDs.

Why on earth would anyone pay over original list price for either Mac OS 9 or 10.1.3?
  • Reply 36 of 74
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the shipping date will be announced at the Expo in Paris. It won't be ready by Paris. If I had to guess, I'd say it will be released on some Saturday in October.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    If it's ready, I'd expect it to ship on Friday, October 3.

10.3 on 10/3.

The kinda thing Apple would do.

Kirk
  • Reply 38 of 74
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

There wasn't. The only upgrade CDs out there are the ones bought by people who bought 10.1 or a new Mac after the release date of 10.2 was announced.

The cost of those upgrade CDs were $19.95 for S&H.

But the site you linked too seems to sell CDs included with Macs and you can buy Mac OS 9.1 for $199.99, or how about 10.1.3 for $179.99?

AFAIK it's illegal to sell those 10.2 upgrade CDs.

Oooh... Oooh... I saw an ad to it, posted by BackBeat media. They also have out-of-box Mac OS X v10.2, and are hosted by Yahoo Store. If they are illegitmate (and from the looks of things they probably are), then Yahoo and BackBeat should be notified.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

If it's ready, I'd expect it to ship on Friday, October 3.

10.3 on 10/3.

The kinda thing Apple would do.

Kirk

If its released in October it must be on that date. 10.3 on "10.3" would be very cool.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

If its released in October it must be on that date. 10.3 on "10.3" would be very cool.

My condolences to Europe and other parts of the world.