Panther release date

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What was the last time a Mac OS X x.x.1 update added any major features?

Major features are for x.1 updates.

Bug fixes and minor features are for x.x.1 updates.

That's how the versioning system works for Apple and most major software developers (well, if you shift the decimal by one place, that is).

Didn't 10.1.5 add anti-aliasing?
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Didn't 10.1.5 add anti-aliasing?

Surely you jest.

Didn't you use 10.0 or the Public Beta? The current antialiasing has remained mostly unchanged since Mac OS X was first released. Though, Apple added sub-pixel antialiasing for LCD-users in 10.2. Is that what you're thinking of?
  • Reply 63 of 74
    10.1.5 added the easy switch to Quartz AA for Carbon apps, Brad.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes. And there have been many other "minor" but very important features added .x.x updates. I like Apple's new conservative attitude about ship dates. At least concerning software. I liked that early Jaguar surprise! let's see that again!
  • Reply 65 of 74
    ok so how about this:

the new wireless keyboard and mouse aren't shipping for 2-3 weeks at the apple store, and macmall says beginning of october. So.. since we all saw the wireless mouse and keyboard contol panel in the Panther build I say pather will ship when these ship begining of October = Oct. 13

or It could mean that 10.2.8 will come out then and that will have the added feature.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    What if they are just not releasing inorder to set a precident. If they released in oct. that would be 2 years of 1 year updates. Perhaps Steve does not want to set that precident and would prefer switch to an every year and a half time table for major changes.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

As much as I want Panther now (and I mean RIGHT NOW), I hope Apple takes there time and doesn't release Panther until October (at the earliest).

The very first release of OSX (dang ... that was a while back) had WAY too many bugs IMHO. Panther is supposed to bring us a TON of new features ... just like the first release of X promised ... but I want to know for sure that it will work on my Mac.

Like many people in these forums, I can't afford a new computer computer right now (and personally, I don't think I NEED a new computer). That said, I still want to take advantage of some of what Panther offers. Sure, Panther will kick @ss on the new G5, but will it blow you away on a 500MHz Pismo? How about a 333MHz iMac? There's a REAL test.

All the news I've heard at this point says the same thing: Panther has a ton of bugs when you use it on older machines (at least for the moment). I don't want Apple to release Panther until they are pretty sure there won't be any major bugs in using Panther on an old Powerbook ... or iMac ... or PowerMac.

Good point. When the first seed came out I read that it ran on a 500 MHz G3 and higher with 128 MB of RAM minimum... I hope they keep that requirement because I have a 600 MHz G3 (iBook) and I wanna be able to take advantage of Panther. I've been so excited about it since I first learned about it and when I saw it in action in the WWDC keynote presentation. Please Apple.. Keep the requirements as mild as they are now. Also I hope they add more features into iChat AV since it's gonna be the final version that's shipping with Panther... I'd be going too much OT if I started to list those features.... sooo anyway..... =)
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

.... When the first seed came out I read that it ran on a 500 MHz G3 and higher with 128 MB of RAM minimum... Also I hope they add more features into iChat AV...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 500MHz G3 the minimum for iChat AV? ... I was under the impression that was the most demanding change in Panther... right? (iChat AV *seems* like it's the most demanding program... but I haven't tried Panther as I can't trust a beta OS on my 'book :$ it's too important to me :$)

So if the current minimum requirements for Panther are based on the minimum requirements for iChat AV, and they add more demanding features, wouldn't the minimum requirements for Panther be upped to match iChat AV's?

... if the above is true, then be careful what you wish for, I guess...
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phroggy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 500MHz G3 the minimum for iChat AV?

Correct. I believe Proud iBook Owner 2k2 is mistaken here.

Panther's requirements call for any G3 or higher with built-in USB.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Correct. I believe Proud iBook Owner 2k2 is mistaken here.

Panther's requirements call for any G3 or higher with built-in USB.

SWEET!! So I can run it! WHOO!!!
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Do we have an idea on pricing for education yet? Students could get Jag for like $60. Can I do the same again?

Anyone have any info?
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Anyone have any info?

I don't have any solid info, but there is no reason to think that it wont be the same discount for edu
  • Reply 73 of 74
    People on older computers will notice the biggest speed increases. Panther will feel like a processor upgrade for you.

It's good. Trust me. Those machines that are already fast g4 towers, duals, g5s won't notice that much difference in using the finder since those things are nearly instant on anything g4 867mhz and up. So from there on up instant is instant as far as day to day operations and using the Finder. Applications and things like that are another story though.