Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 341 of 556
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Because some of us want to buy a new PB now and the G5 PB probably won't be widely available till next July or so (speculation).

When the 15" Al PB comes out it will be the best PB Apple has every made. No shame in that. For me it will be a huge step up from a Pismo 500.

I agree. Whenever a G5 PowerBook comes out, it will be a first generation new model. G4 PowerBooks are refined machines. While the (expected) 15" aluminum model will be new, Apple will have already learned from the 12" and 17" models and it should be more like a third or fourth generation. Not only will it build on the success of the titanium models, it'll have the best features, improvements and lessons learned from the aluminum models that have already been around awhile as well.

G5s are barely shipping in Towers now. I suspect it will be a long time until there's a good, fast, cool PowerBook G5 on the market. We can dream of the future, but some of us want or need new PowerBooks with the latest technology that's available now.
  • Reply 342 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes. As cool as it is to think of a G5-based PowerBook in January (or next week, if you're Dr. Holistic), I just don't think that'll be the case. I'd be seriously shocked.

I think this next round will be 7457-based AND bring the 15" model into line with the 12" and 17" (aluminum, AirPort Extreme, blah, blah, blah, etc.).

And I think it'll be a spiffy machine, as will the updates to the other two.

Can't wait...I'll either be getting a 12" or 15", based on price, features, etc. Gotta wait to see what materializes to make any final decision. But, most likely, I'll be getting a Rev. B 12".
  • Reply 343 of 556
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

pscates sig:

"970 PowerBooks at WWDC!" - MacWhispers, June 2003

"7457 PowerBooks in the channels, ready to go!" - AppleInsider and ThinkSecret, August 2003

"No PowerBooks until mid-October...and possibly 7455-based" - AppleInsider and that French site, September 2003

"Apple to accept new PowerBook orders next week?" - AppleInsider, September 5, 2003

"Shut the hell up, all of you." - Paul Scates, September 2003

• Reply 344 of 556
    To be honest I don't care what the update is ... I'll buy anyway

If there are no new updates at or before the expo i'm going for the current 17"

If there is a new 15" ill buy that.

I just know if i buy now, i'll kick myself if an update is released in a few days time, but the Paris expo is my deadline.

• Reply 345 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by drxcm

but the Paris expo is my deadline.

Same.

i have to teach a class on October 15th and will need some set up time for the portable as well.

Literally ordering on the day of the Paris keynote.

MSKR
  • Reply 346 of 556
    I think tomorrow might actually be the day. I have a feeling. I know, it's a Monday. Crossing fingers
  • Reply 347 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think tomorrow might actually be the day. I have a feeling. I know, it's a Monday. Crossing fingers

*SMACK!!!*

You've been one of the WORST, most high-strung and vocal participants in the whole process!

Along with me, of course...

You ain't been right YET, my man!

[just messing with you in good fun...I, too, would love to be shocked tomorrow]
  • Reply 348 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You've been one of the WORST, most high-strung and vocal participants in the whole process!

Like probably everyone else here, I can't wait for the wait to be over!
  • Reply 349 of 556
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drxcm

To be honest I don't care what the update is ... I'll buy anyway

If there are no new updates at or before the expo i'm going for the current 17"

If there is a new 15" ill buy that.

I just know if i buy now, i'll kick myself if an update is released in a few days time, but the Paris expo is my deadline.

Doesn't Apple allow you to trade in a computer if you buy it and then within the next two weeks, it's updated?
  • Reply 350 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Doesn't Apple allow you to trade in a computer if you buy it and then within the next two weeks, it's updated?

I believe it's 10 days. I don't know if there is a return/exchange fee.
  • Reply 351 of 556
    France Apple Store - "We'll be back soon." but not the US Store...
  • Reply 352 of 556
    Man that shits me!!!.......We're all waiting for a new PB to get some freakin' work done, and these guys in Cupertino are announcing new iPods and iMacs!!!!! ARRGGHH!!!!

Who cares about iMacs????.....Really!?

Half the bloody world needs a PB and they tease and taunt us!! "Make the fvckers wait another week....." says SJ!

That's done it now pscates.....you can officially take me to the looney bin!!

• Reply 353 of 556
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    The iPod and iMac updates came today, the PB update has to come either tomorrow or next week in Paris. My guess is that if it comes tomorrow it will be little more than a speedbump, if it come out at paris there is a much bettr chance of a bigger change that is worth announcing at the keynote.
  • Reply 354 of 556
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Strange timing to update the iMacs just now - either Jobs will drone on and on about Panther or Paris is reserved for some hardware surprise. And I doubt it will be XServes - they are more likely to be updated at Seybold if Apple takes part there.
  • Reply 355 of 556
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Seybold is taking place this week... and Apple is not participating. So that's a no on that part.
  • Reply 356 of 556
    Now THIS is BEYOND PATHETIC!!!!

I thought G4 shortage was the reason for no new powerbooks. Now they are wasting the damn things on a STUPID iMac update. iMac?!?!!? That piece of shit is not even a professional machine, but it takes precedence to PowerBooks?!?!? Give me a ****in' brake!
  • Reply 357 of 556
    Is anyone else puzzled by the fact that Apple's consumer desktop specs now exceed the professional laptop, at least superficially, for the first time. It seems like a very unusual move, especially if the new Pbooks are due in only two weeks (I know, just rumors).

Although I see almost no chance of a G5 Pbook before next year, this move does seem to give that rumor a little more credence. After all, wouldn't a 1.25 GHz Pbook be a bit anticlimactic at this point?
  • Reply 358 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Strange timing to update the iMacs just now - either Jobs will drone on and on about Panther or Paris is reserved for some hardware surprise. And I doubt it will be XServes - they are more likely to be updated at Seybold if Apple takes part there.

At this point, I'm thinking we're more likely to get a G5 PowerMAC revision than a PowerBook update in Paris
  • Reply 359 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal

I thought G4 shortage was the reason for no new powerbooks. Now they are wasting the damn things on a STUPID iMac update. iMac?!?!!? That piece of shit is not even a professional machine, but it takes precedence to PowerBooks?!?!? Give me a ****in' brake!

Temper, temper. Different processor. I think this is actually a good sign for next week.
  • Reply 360 of 556
    Quote:

I thought G4 shortage was the reason for no new powerbooks. Now they are wasting the damn things on a STUPID iMac update. [/B]

According to MacBidouille, the G4 in the 1.25 GHz iMac is a 7455B. The new powerbooks need 7457s in sufficient volume before they can be updated. So that should be why the iMac got bumped before the PB.

Quote:

iMac?!?!!? That piece of shit is not even a professional machine, but it takes precedence to PowerBooks?!?!? Give me a ****in' brake! [/B]

Hey, you should relax. You don't want to get an ulcer before you can get a new powerbook