FINAL MWSF Predictions: The writing on the wall

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
  • Reply 62 of 105
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    As the resident pessimist here, here's my final prediction - and something to watch for:

I expect fast Apollo G4s in the Power Macs simply because the G5s were not finalized in time to design, test and produce a new system. What I'm going to be looking at is the case. If it's a whole new design, don't expect the G5s until MWNY. If, however, it's a modified Quicksilver case, then I would look for the G5s around April.

As for the G5s, here's AtAT's latest word posted on 12/28:

"Sorry, folks; the bad news is that we now have incontrovertible proof that the Power Mac G5 will not debut a week from Monday at the Macworld Expo super-special day-early Stevenote. "

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: gfeier ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 105
    apap Posts: 29member
    POWERMACS:

866 Mhz G4

1.133 Ghz G4

dual 1.0 Ghz G4

lowend is the current G4 processor and mobo. The others are Apollo's + ddr ram.

FLAT PANEL WIDE SCREEN IMAC:

733 Mhz G4/ 128MB/ CD-RW / 15.2" / GEFORCE2MX

733 Mhz G4/ 256MB/ COMBO / 15.2" / GEFORCE2MX

733 MHZ G4/ 256MB/ SUPERDRIVE / 15.2"/ GEFORCE2MX

all white 'snow'ish color

IPHOTO:

photo software similar to ACDSEE + Iview multimedia, just more simple.

FIRMWAREUPGRADE TO IPOD:

the ability to store photos and video from digital camera's and dv-camera's with firewire.

thats it.

ap

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: ap ]</p>
  • Reply 64 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by gfeier:

<strong>

As for the G5s, here's AtAT's latest word posted on 12/28:

"Sorry, folks; the bad news is that we now have incontrovertible proof that the Power Mac G5 will not debut a week from Monday at the Macworld Expo super-special day-early Stevenote. "

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah but you read that wrong just as I did. Their incontrovertible proof was that Apple was already selling G5s thanks to a typo:

[quote]<strong>

"But get happy, because the good news is that the very same evidence indicates that if you act fast and you've got money to burn, you can buy not one, but two G5s-- and not ten days from now, but today."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was just a joke. Back to square one I guess...

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 65 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>It was just a joke. Back to square one I guess...</strong><hr></blockquote>True, but if you look back at <a href="http://www.appleturns.com/episode/?id=3461"; target="_blank">this one</a>, AtAT has clearly come out against G5s.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Why would Apple say it will be an event you won't want to miss blah blah blah for some lousy Apollos up to 1 GHz? Does Steve smoke that much crack?
  • Reply 67 of 105
    This comes up all the time, and the lesson never seems to sink in. Apple marketing, like all other marketing departments in the world doesn't advertise events as, "OK, but nothing too important." They ALWAYs say, "You won't want to miss it!" It means nothing. They are not making hints, prophesies, ranking the importance of the announcements or anything else that you can take as being more or less important than any other press release. It's a keynote, it gets hyped. Don't take too much on faith.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>This comes up all the time, and the lesson never seems to sink in. Apple marketing, like all other marketing departments in the world doesn't advertise events as, "OK, but nothing too important." They ALWAYs say, "You won't want to miss it!" It means nothing. They are not making hints, prophesies, ranking the importance of the announcements or anything else that you can take as being more or less important than any other press release. It's a keynote, it gets hyped. Don't take too much on faith.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Generally agree with you about the keynote gets hyped, but...

A foundational aspect of Marketing is credibility. The best marketers understand this in their very fabric.

Words are chosen very carefully, meaning, their is a reason why the word breakthrough is chosen vs. the word revolutionary.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Yes keynotes get hyped, but rarely are they bumped up a day (forcing all attendees to reschedule their plans) and increased in length to 2.5 hours. If Steve doesn't have some cool toys to talk about at length then he is going to be standing in front of a bored, disappointed, and pissed off audience... which is what happened to him at MWNY and he wasn't happy about that at all! So for him to do this means he feels that he's got something to show off.

I had a dream last night, so it is no doubt wishful thinking but who knows maybe its a prophecy:

- Low-end iMac, current CRT design, 800-900 MHz G3, geForce2 MX, GigaWire (=1394b), USB2, 133MHz SDRAM, $799.

- 3 iMac models w/ new LCD design. One piece unit of stunning design and small proportions. "I can't believe that's a whole computer" kind of reaction. Apollo G4s in all of them, ranging from 800-900 MHz to low GHz. 133MHz SDRAM, geForce2 MX, GigaWire, USB2. SuperDrives all around. Prices same as current iMac models.

- iBooks get speed bump to 800-900 MHz.

- Titanium now available in 2 models, the current one and a new faster one which uses Apollo G4 and speed bumps 100-200 MHz.

- Low-end PowerMac with fast Apollo G4 (low GHz), large L3 cache, 266 MHz DDR memory (&gt;128 MB of it), AGP 4x, geForce2 MX, GigaWire, USB2, SuperDrive. Priced as current low-end model. Case is same as current one.

- Other PowerMac models have 4 slots that can hold one G5 each. There are 3 pre-determined configurations (which saves you a bit of money and means you can walk out of the store with it), but AppleStores & online can do a build-to-order thing. Available G5 speeds are from 1.0 - 2.0 GHz (with pricing getting to insane levels at the high end, along with long delivery times). G5's performance at a given clock rate is double that of the G4 on the same code, triple if its recompiled for the G5. It is a 64-bit chip, but will run in 32-bit mode until MacOS X 10.2 arrives this summer. HyperTransport connections to the DDR memory controller which can use either 266 MHz DDr or 333 MHz DDR memory (must all be of same type, however). AGP 8x, geForce3 or 4, GigaWire, USB2, SuperDrive. Case design is beautiful, functional, and innovative. Rack-mount case will be available. Pricing starts at around mid-range PowerMac levels and goes WAY up from there.

Okay, the last one isn't going to happen... but we can probably safely say its not going to be better than that. Its important to establish where the limits are.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by foamy:

<strong>G5 = NO!!!!!

1.2 +Ghz G4 = Yes

New Powermac = Yes

New iMac = duh

New Displays = Yes

G4 iMac = NO

OSX update = NO</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that the G5 and G4 iMac are @ least possible with the G4 iMacs having a better chance of happeneing then G5 PMs... Also os has to be updated to take advantage of new hardware, no major update is what you mean i think....

My NEW predictions:

PM: new case (w/max ram of 4gig and 2nd 5.25 bay) except low end (old case)

1064 g5 same as current mid-range (old bus, ram, and cache and everything like that) only no superdrive, cdrw $1599 NO SUPERDRIVE OPTION, just CDRW and combo upgrade

1.2 g5 new bus and ddrram 256, usb2?, fw 2 (aka gigawire), 80gig , superdrive, geforce3 $2299

1.4 g5 same as above w/100 gig superdrive 2? and 512 ram, GeForce 3 $2799

1.2 dual g5 same as above ATI Radeon 8500 $3499

new speakers??/built-in sound? 5.1 surround possible w/BTO?

iMac:

After readting pscate's thread, i have decided that it is possible that the iMac will be in a cube or non all in one form factor, but the low end will still be the same: CRT $799. If cube's form factor, it may drive the price up $150 each when bundled with the 15" display. $100 if not cube. You can do the price changes in your head, im not going to change each one b/c I still think an all in one iMac is possible.

867G4, 133 bus, Ti book screen across the line, slot-load?? (FW2, USB2?)

except low end: 800G4 40gig 128 ram, Crt Cdrom current form factor 16mb rage128, $799

CDRW-40gig, 128, 16mb rage128-$999

CDRW-40gig, 256, 16or32mb geforce2mx- $1299

Combo(8x)-60gig, 256, 16or32mb geforce2mx- $1499

SUPERDRIVE-60gig, 256, 16or32mb geforce2mx- $1799

Displays:

15-$499

17-$899

17widescreen-$1099 OR 19-$1199

22widescreen-$2199

perm promo-$100 bundle rebate with PM except w/15", $300 with 22widscreen model

iBook: only one change, combo drive updated to 8x (possible if no g5 or g4 iMac, if either are updated, this probably wont happen)

PB: no change

10.1.3(5?) for new hardware, SLF??, other goodies, and new software below.

One more thing: iPhoto or iOrganize both?

iPhoto: what everyone has been saying, import images, export to iTools/iDisk, albums, crop, rotate, red-eye, etc.

iOrganize: Replaces palm software, contacts,(import from entourage/mail.app) etc. palm conduit, also organizes media-movies, pics, tunes, etc.

-Paul

Edit: typo

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: psantora ]

Edit: update

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: psantora ]

Edit: stupid Apple.com page....

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Why does everyone seem to think that the Sahara is shipping Jan/Feb? Follow some PDF linkage on IBM's processor site (forget the url) and I recall that it said that the Sahara was "sampling January" or february. Certainly not coming out before ~april-may?
  • Reply 72 of 105
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Sack Black:

<strong>Why does everyone seem to think that the Sahara is shipping Jan/Feb? Follow some PDF linkage on IBM's processor site (forget the url) and I recall that it said that the Sahara was "sampling January" or february. Certainly not coming out before ~april-may?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This only supports that there will be a g4 iMac and no iBook update, but this is not a discussion thread, so lets drop it....

-Paul
  • Reply 73 of 105
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Okay, here goes.

Powermacs:

Lowend:

933 MHZ G4

256 MB ram

60 GB HD

Superdrive

GeForce 2 MX

Will incorporate new bus and faster firewire!

Price: $1699.00

Mid-range:

1.2 GHZ G4

256 MB ram

80 GB HD

Superdrive

GeForce 3

Price: $2599.00

Highend:

1.1 GHZ G4 Dualie

512 MB ram

100 GB HD

Superdrive

GeForce 3

Price: $3499.00

Case will remain basically the same. Maybe a slight tweak or two.

Displays:

15" ASD - $499.00

17" ASD - $799.00

22" ASD - $1999.00

iMacs:

Lowend:

700 MHZ G3

15" LCD

128 MB ram

40 GB HD

CDR-W drive

GeForce 2 MX

Price: $1099.00

Midrange:

800 MHZ G3

15" LCD

256 MB ram

60 GB HD

Combo Drive

GeForce 2 MX

Price: $1299.00

Highend:

900 MHZ G3

15" LCD

256 MB ram

80 GB HD

Combo Drive

Ge Force 2 MX

Price: $1499.00

Software:

New iPhoto Application

Maybe iMovie 3

Maybe AppleWorks 7

Oh, and "One more thing (tm)"

Not a clue what it could be.

A 1 GHZ+ Powermac is NOT a big deal. A G5 WOULD be.

An iMac with LCD screen will look slick as a babies behind but it is NOT a big deal.

What is being hyped here?

I am being purposely conservative on my hardware predictions. If the event exceeds these, I will be a happy camper.

I WILL NOT OVER ANTICIPATE!

Oh, and NO iBook or Powerbook announcements.

NO tablets.

NO PDA's!

Sorry guys, ain't going to happen.

Cobra

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 74 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Sack Black:

<strong>Why does everyone seem to think that the Sahara is shipping Jan/Feb? Follow some PDF linkage on IBM's processor site (forget the url) and I recall that it said that the Sahara was "sampling January" or february. Certainly not coming out before ~april-may?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes, and it is also not gonna be 1Ghz. It starts at 700Mhz, with 1Ghz later in 2002.

<a href="http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/news/2001/1017_750fx.html"; target="_blank">http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/news/2001/1017_750fx.html</A>;

That's why I think the iMac will be closer to 700Mhz, maybe 800Mhz if the 750cxe goes up that high. Sahara will be great for the iBook later in 2002, because it's even smaller and less-power consuming than the current G3.

They won't use a G4 in the iMac because of cost - the G3 chip is still much cheaper, and with LCD screens, they have to cut costs somewhere or the thing is going to be over $2000.

Remember, the current high-end iMac is $1499, with just a CRT monitor, just a CDRW drive, and just a 700Mhz processor. No way they can add that slot-loading combo drive from the TiBook, an LCD screen, AND a G4, and keep their margins.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    well now that we are a week away about i will lay my predictions on the line. i will be somewhat fague on since it seems no one knows the whole truth:

OS X will lead off keynote. minor upgrade possibly. #s of users... blah blah blah...update on aps that are native or will be updated between MWSF and MWNY...blah blah blah

re-cap of apple apps. mayabe we will finally see iPhoto.

begin hardware intro:

I honestly believe we will finally learn what GigaWire is and how Apple has begun to intergrate it into their products- this may also lead us to a new consumer based product (a la iPod)

into pro hardware:

PowerBook- nothing. just a recap of the recent std combo drive message

we will then see upgraded PowerMacs that will break the GHz mark finally! but if they are G4 or G5 is to be seen. either seems to be a possiblity right now. some reports say that Mot has the PowerPC 8500 chip and it is running at decent speeds, but I do not think the use of the G4 chip will end at 867MHz for Apple. If they do have G5 processors I do expect the case/form factor will change also. Don't foget the Photoshop 7 bake off...

now consumer hardware:

iBook- most likely nothing. but we can always hope for a speed bump to 700, a color other than white, and better graphics

and "one last thing":

we will see flat panel iMacs. they have dropped CRT from the monitor line and it is now time to say goodbye to it in the product line. what speeds these machines will run at is a mystery. here is my concern- IBMs processor roadmap has the 750CXe only going to 700MHz, the current iMac maximum. IBM had just announced 750FX (700MHz - 1.0GHz) in October, with samples of these chips going out in January 02- so either IBM will pull a fast one and they are further along with their chips or ???, this scenario i think leaves the door open for a G4 based iMac. This new iMac will also give us more light on what Steve's idea of the "digital hub" is....
  • Reply 76 of 105
    My predictions for Macworld San Francisco 2002

Education line:

$699 iMac Indigo

15" CRT

600 Mhz G3 Sahara

133 Mhz System Bus

256 kb L2 Cache running at full processor speed

128 MB PC 133 Mhz SDRAM

20 GB ULTRA ATA drive 5400 rpm

CD-ROM

ATI RAGE 128 w/ 16 MB

Mac OS 10.2

2 USB & 2 Firewire

56 kbps V.90 modem

10/100 ethernet

Consumer line:

$999 iMac

The same except for:

15" TFT 1024x768 LCD display

CD-RW

NVidia GeForce 2 MX w/ 32mb

$1299 iMac

The same except for:

800 Mhz G3 Sahara

256 MB PC 133 Mhz SDRAM

40 GB Ultra ATA drive 5400 rpm

Combo drive CD-RW/DVD

$1499 iMac

The same except for:

1 Ghz G3 Sahara

60 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 rpm

Prosumer line:

$1299 Cube (or similar)

700 Mhz G4 Apollo

200 Mhz System Bus

256 kb L2 cache running at full processor speed

256 MB DDR RAM

40 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 rpm

Combo drive

NVidia GeForce 2 MX w/ 32 MB

Mac OS 10.2

56 kbps V.90 modem

10/100 ethernet

2 USB & 2 Firewire

1 AGP 4x slot

$1499 Cube (or similar)

the same except for:

Superdrive CD-RW/DVD-RW

Professional line:

$1799 PowerMac G4

The same except for:

900 Mhz G4 Apollo

256 KB L2 cache and 2 MB L3 cache running at full processor speed

60 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 rpm

4 PCI & 1 AGP 4X slots

$2499 PowerMac G4

The same except for:

1.1 Ghz G4 Apollo

512 MB DDR RAM

80 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 rpm

NVidia GeForce 3 w/ 64 MB

$2999 PowerMac G4

The same except for:

Dual 1.1 Ghz G4 Apollo

100 GB Ultra ATA drive 7200 rpm

LCD Displays:

$499 15" 1024x768 TFT

$799 17" 1280x1024 TFT

$1999 22" 1600x1200 TFT

New Mac OS 10.2

New iSoftware: either iMovie 3, iPhoto, iMessenger (which I think would be great if it allowed to have iMessenger, ICQ, MSN, AOL and Yahoo contacts, using your mac.com account) iMessenger 2 could incorporate voice chat, and imessenger 3 video chat.

WAKE-UP ARGENTINA!!!

DESPIERTA ARGENTINA!!!
  • Reply 77 of 105
    That's what i know.

No new PowerMac for now, but a G5 in february (which will be demoed)

iBook and iMac will be updated with new G3 processors, but the iMac higher end models won't be available soon (you know that Qanta is said to start production this month and IBM is going to start it's 750FX production this month too)

The iBook will get only updated processors, while the iMac will be totally updated (133Mhz system bus, GeForce 2MX, HD up to 80GB, lcd screen)

The PowerBook will get an Apollo: the 550 model it's going to disappear and will be replaced by the 667Mhz; a new 867 Mhz will be the high end.

As i said, no new powermac shipping in january, but a G5 will ship in february.

See you next week.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Top o' the message board to ya'!
  • Reply 79 of 105
    When did we start predict for MWSF 2003?

Some of you people are in for a RUDE letdown in six days.....

SdC
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Here is my evaluation of what could be on tap for MWSF:

Low end iMac?$699

700 MHz G3 in same form factor

100 MHz system bus, 128 MB PC100 SDRAM

20 GB Hard Drive, Slot loading 24 x CD-ROM

Two USB Ports, two 400 Firewire

ATI Rage 128 Ultra, AGP 2X

LCD iMAC $999

15" LCD Display

800 MHz 7450 G4

133 MHz system bus, 128 MB PC133 SDRAM

40 GB Hard Drive, CD-ROM

Two USB Ports, two 800 Firewire

NVIDA GeForce 2MX w/32MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

LCD iMAC $1,199

15" LCD Display

900 MHz 7450 G4

133 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC133 SRAM

60 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM

Built in Airport

LCD iMAC $1,499

15" LCD Display

1 GHz 7450 G4

133 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM

80 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Low end Powerbook $2,199

Same form factor

733 MHz 7450 G4

133 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM

30 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM w/DVD-Video

Two USB Ports, one 400 Firewire

ATI Mobility Radon

Built in Airport

Powerbook $2,999

Same form factor

900 MHz Apollo 7460 G4

400 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC 266DDR-SRAM

40 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM w/DVD-Video

Two USB 2 Ports, Two 800 Firewire

Book E Core

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Gigawire

Powerbook $3,299

Same form factor

1.13 GHz Apollo 7460 G4

400 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC 266DDR-SRAM

60 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Two USB 2 Ports, Two 800 Firewire

Book E Core

NVIDIA GeForce3 w/TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Gigawire

Power Mac G5 $2,199

Same form factor

1 GHz Goldfish 8500 G5

400 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC266 DDR-SRAM

40 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM w/DVD-Video

Two USB Ports, Two 800 Firewire

Book E Core

NVIDIA GeForce3 and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Gigawire

Power Mac G5 $2,999

Same form factor

1.4 GHz Goldfish 8500 G5

400 MHz system bus, 256 MB PC266 DDR-SRAM

60 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Book E Core

NVIDIA GeForce3 w/twinview and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Gigawire

Power Mac G5 $3,699

Same form factor

Duel 1.2 GHz Goldfish 8500 G5

400 MHz system bus, 512 MB PC266 DDR-SRAM

80 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Book E Core

NVIDIA GeForce3 w/twinview and 64MB of SDRAM

Built in Airport

Gigawire

IBook-same form factor

Speed bump to 700MHz

Possible Surprise. If shortneck iMAC unfolds the LCD iMAC specifications will change to that listed below and fills the Cube's marketing slot, look for the new iTablet? to position between the iBook and the Powerbook

Revolution iMAC 700MHz Sahara G3$799

New all in one iMac form factor

17" Short neck CRT

400 MHz system bus, 128 MB PC266 DDR-SRAM

20 GB Hard Drive, 24xCD-ROM

2 USB & 2 FireWire 800

Built in Airport

800MHz Sahara G3 $999

17" Short neck CRT

30 GB Hard Drive, DVD-ROM

2 USB & 1 FireWire 800 Port

Built in Airport

900MHz Sahara G3 $1099

17" Short neck CRT

40 GB Hard Drive, CD/RW

2 USB & 1 FireWire 800 Port

Built in Airport

LCD iMAC would then be positioned as the cube's replacement. priced $1,199, $1,399 & $1,599

LCD iMAC $1,199

15" LCD Display, 17? LCD Display add $200

800 MHz 7450 G4

40 GB Hard Drive, CD-ROM

Book E Core

Built in Airport

Gigawire

LCD iMAC $1,199

15" LCD Display, 17? LCD Display add $200