Time to make English the official language of the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I urge each and everyone here to join 'USEnglish' to make English the official language of the US. I dont think our tax dollars should go to printing govmnt info in every damn language in the world. Go to http://www.us-english.org

While your at it why not rename the language to 'American' if its going to be the official state language? This would resolve the US-English vs English-English problems.
  • Reply 22 of 159
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, for whatever reason, they didn't put up a fight. but, i think immigrants from non-spanish-speaking countries have just as much of a right to have official correspondence translated into their native tongue as the spaniards do. i don't like the idea of restricting our nation to one language, particularly one that may very well be on the decline.

well, and i'm quite ignorant so correct me if i'm wrong, but those countries don't have as a diverse nature as america. floods of europeans/asians/.. didn't say "hey, we don't like this country, why dont we move to France." they overwhelmingly chose the US, and largely, i think, for our diverse nature. plus, it bothers me a bit that i would have to learn another language to effectively get around one of those nations. i did a bit of traveling in Europe, and was lukcy enough to have a translator so that I wouldn't have to learn Russian, Swedish (well, Swedes, or those I met, speak English fluently) or the native language of any of the places I went to. one of the most important aspects of our nation is its diversity: of cultures, of backgrounds and of languages.

How is English on the decline? If anything its the other way around. English is considered the worldwide language of business. Don't forget, I'm not suggesting that people here should know ONLY english, just that English should be the official common language of the US. Its good to know more than one language.

As for France, their population is diverse also, of course not like ours, but they have many Arabs, Algerians, and other Europeans living there but language is not an issue. They know they must learn to speak French to survive. Our diversity is a plus, but if we become a babble of competing languages it will be a disaster...................................
  • Reply 23 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Ladies and gentlemen, your country is in trouble. Trust me. I've seen it in every post-Soviet region and it's déjÃ* vu.

1. You just cannot duplicate everything in every language. After the initial precedent every time there'll be a lot of seriously offended people.

2. You cannot justify every whim of every moron. Because if I cannot speak nor read nor know what the hell to do or not to do, I am a moron. I am not a citizen, which I would be if I were insane. A citizen is at the very least expected to be able to learn the most basic laws of his/her country. If (s)he cannot because doesn't want to, WTF? What civil rights can (s)he pretend to if (s)he doesn't give a damn about anything?

3. The easiest way is to set up a standard. State that English is necessary. It's much cheaper to teach everybody English than duplicate the whole world in every possible dialect.

Otherwise, be prepared to deal with chauvinism with each breath and each step.

Amen brother
  • Reply 24 of 159
    I think Arnold is still learning english... he doesn't speak it very well... and he's running for Governor! what a country.

The US-English thing is just a right-wing agenda requiring people to pass an english test to become a citizen... thay already have to pass test to become a citizen... and it does want to BAN the use of other languages in government buildings...

not very inclusive thinking.
  • Reply 25 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

I think Arnold is still learning english... he doesn't speak it very well... and he's running for Governor! what a country.

The US-English thing is just a right-wing agenda requiring people to pass an english test to become a citizen... thay already have to pass test to become a citizen... and it does want to BAN the use of other languages in government buildings...

not very inclusive thinking.

Its not right-wing its common sense. And you can't get more inclusive than wanting everyone to be able to understand one another. Many nationalities, one language-English.........................
  • Reply 26 of 159
    except that it's meant to EXCLUDE you if you can't speak english well enough to pass a test.

Ever see how well english speaking students do on history and geography tests? Maybe they should be deported... hehe
  • Reply 27 of 159
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Its not right-wing its common sense. And you can't get more inclusive than wanting everyone to be able to understand one another. Many nationalities, one language-English.........................

It's not common sense because this country is not unified under one language and it never should be.

Indians have their own languages and that should be encouraged. In Louisiana they speak French in some areas. That should be encouraged. Limiting the locals in the entire country to needing only English is limiting your brain and your potential. Better to let other languages flourish as well as English.

You have yet to make an intelligent argument for why English is necessary. Saying it's 'common sense' isn't a rational argument. It's emotion.
  • Reply 28 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It's not common sense because this country is not unified under one language and it never should be.

Indians have their own languages and that should be encouraged. In Louisiana they speak French in some areas. That should be encouraged. Limiting the locals in the entire country to needing only English is limiting your brain and your potential. Better to let other languages flourish as well as English.

You have yet to make an intelligent argument for why English is necessary. Saying it's 'common sense' isn't a rational argument. It's emotion.

Your first sentence is ridiculous. To think that a country as diverse as the US shouldnt speak a common language makes no sense.

I never said no other languages should be spoken or used. I said that everyone should have to know how to speak english. If you speak more than one language that is good.....................
  • Reply 29 of 159
    I'm all for individuals and businesses using any language they want, but I see no reason that my NYC voter guide has to come in forty languages and all the forms at the DMV have to be available in everything but Swahili.
  • Reply 30 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I'm all for individuals and businesses using any language they want, but I see no reason that my NYC voter guide has to come in forty languages and all the forms at the DMV have to be available in everything but Swahili.

swahili is next
  • Reply 31 of 159
    I don't see the big deal about non-English speakers here. We're talking about one generation of a family or community who can't speak English. Those people's children will almost always know English as well as their parents' native tongue, and the second generation of children will usually only know English.

What was that movie about the National Spelling Bee (spelling English words, obviously) that was out recently? One of the finalists was a girl whose dad was a migrant farmer who didn't speak a word of English. While an exceptional case by degree, it demonstrates a typical pattern.

Besides, I just met a guy who emigrated to the US 30 years ago. He runs his own business and is the boss of a bunch of guys who are his age, have been here for the same amount of time, and are arguably more talented and smarter than he is. Why does he run the business? He's the one who learned English. As a de facto standard here, people's fortunes are already greatly affected by the language barrier or lack thereof. People will either respond by "jumping in" to the language, or will seek the comfort of their native tongue, and what happens happens. Their choices have their consequences, they have to live with them.
  • Reply 32 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I don't see the big deal about non-English speakers here. We're talking about one generation of a family or community who can't speak English. Those people's children will almost always know English as well as their parents' native tongue, and the second generation of children will usually only know English.

What was that movie about the National Spelling Bee (spelling English words, obviously) that was out recently? One of the finalists was a girl whose dad was a migrant farmer who didn't speak a word of English. While an exceptional case by degree, it demonstrates a typical pattern.

Besides, I just met a guy who emigrated to the US 30 years ago. He runs his own business and is the boss of a bunch of guys who are his age, have been here for the same amount of time, and are arguably more talented and smarter than he is. Why does he run the business? He's the one who learned English. As a de facto standard here, people's fortunes are already greatly affected by the language barrier or lack thereof. People will either respond by "jumping in" to the language, or will seek the comfort of their native tongue, and what happens happens. Their choices have their consequences, they have to live with them.

And so do we. Its costly to appease them by printing items in their language and its costly when they become an economic burden because they didnt feel compelled to learn to speak English and make them more marketable in the workplace. Thats why i support USEnglish..............................
  • Reply 33 of 159
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Seems pretty obvious the originator of this THREAD just has a severe dislike for hispanics. What a joke.
  • Reply 34 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Seems pretty obvious the originator of this THREAD just has a severe dislike for hispanics. What a joke.

Oh God, its followed me. Anyone have a flyswatter?
  • Reply 35 of 159
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I support it.
  • Reply 36 of 159
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Flies love sh?t. Why are you so surprised king turd?
  • Reply 37 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

I support it.

Good man. By the way, we wouldn't know it from this forum but polls have shown the majority of Americans support it also.
  • Reply 38 of 159
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

except that it's meant to EXCLUDE you if you can't speak english well enough to pass a test.

Ever see how well english speaking students do on history and geography tests? Maybe they should be deported... hehe

A similar tactic was used in the South to keep blacks from voting; they had to pass a "literacy test" before they could be allowed to vote.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 39 of 159
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Your first sentence is ridiculous. To think that a country as diverse as the US shouldnt speak a common language makes no sense.

The US does speak a common tongue.

When the majority of this country speaks Spanish, and the poll numbers show that Spanish should become the official language, would you support that? Or would you just say 'they're wrong' and get upset about it?

The U.S. is so isolated that some of the only contact some Americans get with foreign languages is on a DMV form. That's pathetic.
  • Reply 40 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The US does speak a common tongue.

When the majority of this country speaks Spanish, and the poll numbers show that Spanish should become the official language, would you support that? Or would you just say 'they're wrong' and get upset about it?

The U.S. is so isolated that some of the only contact some Americans get with foreign languages is on a DMV form. That's pathetic.

No I would not support it and neither would most Americans. Just because one immigrant group arrives in large numbers shouldn't change the historical use of English in this country.

Believe me, we get plenty of contact with foreign languages. Lay down on the beach in Santa Monica and count how many people walking by are speaking a foreign language. If this country is so diverse how could we not have contact with foreign languages. They are also taught in school-mandatory as I remember. And DMV forms should be in English only, its pathetic that they are not.............................................