Time to make English the official language of the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have promised myself to point out each time I agree with one of Grovers posts. So thats what I am doing now.
  • Reply 62 of 159
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    In Europe a lot of countries support more than two languages.

In Canada...only two...English and French.

There's good and bad about supporting only one / or more than one offical languages.

Oh...just for in case if people don't know. While Spanish , Panjabi and Chinese aren't the offical language in Canada. A lot of governement documents (especially to the multi-cultral department) are printed in these languages.
  • Reply 63 of 159
    I'm voting for Esperanto. Or Sanskrit. What about Eubonics?
  • Reply 64 of 159
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by feliperal

I tend to agree with Steve, being a spanish speaker myself. If you have been here for 20+ years, you should no how to at least hold up a conversation and read in English.

Second, I think it is pure BS that suit in California. Like English, Spanish is a very diverse language. Spanish from Chile, Peru, or Spain, is different in meaning. Certain terms can be derrogatory, while in other places there considered as normal words. So, I think in this instance, perhaps the ballot might have been translated using some regional venacular instead of international (universal) Spanish. Since my parents were from S. America (Chile and Brazil), it would be akin to me trying to read a Mexican publication and not understanding the word usage. I'm sure you all can relate to picking a British or New Zealand magazine and laugh at how they spell or use words.

I do not see it wrong to require people to have a certain competancy level before becoming full citizens. Look at Japan. In order to become a citizen, you have to be able to read, write, and speak almost perfect Japanese. However, I do agree that certain documentation has to be in multiple languages. For example, the documents for important services: health, immigration, and safety information.

Well said. I believe you have to be in this country for 5 years before you can become a citizen. In those 5 years you should have to learn to speak English. Which means you should have to speak English in order to vote. Which means ballots should only be printed in English.

And what is with all these FCKING POP-UPS!! My computer has crashed 3 times because of them. Groverat, I think Appleinsider has discovered a way to get rid of me. Arent you happy? I will reply to your post first, but then I may not be back. I can't stand pop-ups, and neither can my poor old PM 8100.............................................. ..........
  • Reply 65 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I am pro-war and giant has a fantastic point.

With all the bullshit our government spends money on, anyone who tries to make the argument that printing things in multiple languages is a drag on our economy is very very stupid.

Thinly-veiled xenophobia.

This is a government of the people, for the people and by the people. And guess what, geniuses, some of those people don't speak English as their first language. This nation was built on immigration, but now that you've been here for a little while you feel like putting up more restrictions and limiting access for those unlike yourself?

Thats right, call someone xenophobic in order to defame your opponent. Doesn't work, groverat, just makes you sound petty.

Of course most people coming to the US dont speak English as their first language! Are you telling us something new? The point is that many recent immigrants aren't bothering to learn to speak English and our policies are making it easier for them not to have to speak English-thats the problem!

And as for your last crack about now that I've been here awhile I feel like putting up restrictions and limiting access for those unlike yourself-I've mentioned before my Grandparents came from Poland and had to learn to speak English, and I agree that they had to. Anyone from anywhere, including my homeland of Poland should have to learn to speak English. If you have a point to make, make it, but give up on the 'he's a racist because he disagrees with me' crap. Its getting really old.......................................
  • Reply 66 of 159
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

The point is that many recent immigrants aren't bothering to learn to speak English and our policies are making it easier for them not to have to speak English-thats the problem!

But you have yet to make a good case for this argument. Why is it a problem?
  • Reply 67 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

But you have yet to make a good case for this argument. Why is it a problem?

1. Their children will be learning to speak English and in many cases they will not be able to communicate very well with them.

2. It will be harder for immigrants who don't speak English to find adequate jobs. If they go on welfare, it will be harder to get them off welfare.

3. It will be difficult for them to communicate with others. I have had spanish-speaking customers come in and ask if I speak Spanish. I am friends with a girl who does speak Spanish but she refuses to because it makes her angrier than me that they don't bother learning how. So, the customer ends up leaving. I don't think there are many stores in my area at least where this customer will be able to communicate with anyone. I know thats not true in many urban settings, but its the case here.

4. Its safer to be able to speak English. Theres no guarantee that there will be someone who speaks your language at a hospital, police station, etc. Remember, we're not just talking about Spanish here but immigrants come from all over the world.

5. What are the chances of someone moving up the economic ladder without knowing how to speak and understand English? Do you want immigrants to stay in their entry level jobs or do you want them to be able to become successful? I prefer they become successful.

Those are just some of the reasons its good for them. I have already mentioned the reasons it is good for us..........................
  • Reply 68 of 159
    Quote:

Those are just some of the reasons its good for them. I have already mentioned the reasons it is good for us..........................

No offense intended, but I don't trust your opinions of what's good for them. Let them decide. I'm more interested in how you think it benefits the U.S. in a dramatic way. I just don't see it.
  • Reply 69 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

No offense intended, but I don't trust your opinions of what's good for them. Let them decide. I'm more interested in how you think it benefits the U.S. in a dramatic way. I just don't see it.

Whats to trust? Either you agree with them or not.

It benefits the US because:

1. Cost savings. Yes, the govmnt wastes money in many other ways, but why add to it. Also, the burden falls mainly on local govmnts. Printing mulitlingual ballots is another unfunded Federal mandate.

2. See above items on jobs and welfare.

3. Americans should be able to go anywhere and shop anywhere and be able to communicate with the owners, salespeople, whatever in one lagnuage.

4. Historical continuity-English has always been the defacto language of the US. I see no reason why that should be changed, except it is now necessary to have to make it Official.

5. To say certain voters are disenfranchised is a lie. What about all the other immigrants who speak languages other than English? The only reason ballots aren't printed in those languages is because their population hasn't reached a critical mass that would influence elections. Therefore-the whole argument for printing ballots in Spanish is a sham. Perpetrated by politicians looking to gain votes from one ethnic group. The whole argument goes down the tubes IMHO...........................
  • Reply 70 of 159
    Quote:

The people that don't speak English have their own reasons and they don't need your reasons. They may very well be 1000 times more important than this list you created to support your cause.

Quote:

3. Americans should be able to go anywhere and shop anywhere and be able to communicate with the owners, salespeople, whatever in one lagnuage.

This type of ethnocentric and yes xenophobic language is just not supportable.

You've got it all backwards. People in the U.S. should be able to speak whatever language they want.

Quote:

4. ...it is now necessary to have to make it Official.

I think it's much more accurate to say that it's necessary for people who only speak English to learn a second language.

Again, there's no basis for your argument other than your own fear. No one in the U.S. should be forced to do anything, including speak English.
  • Reply 71 of 159
    >The people that don't speak English have their own reasons and they don't need your reasons. They may very well be 1000 times more important than this list you created to support your cause.<

You asked me for reasons and I gave them.

>This type of ethnocentric and yes xenophobic language is just not supportable. <

Sure it is, because its not xenophobic at all and is common sense.

>You've got it all backwards. People in the U.S. should be able to speak whatever language they want.<

I never said they shouldn't, as long as they can also speak English.

>I think it's much more accurate to say that it's necessary for people who only speak English to learn a second language.<

Not necessary but a good idea. Now what should that second language be? Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Italian, German? I say we leave it up to them.

>Again, there's no basis for your argument other than your own fear. No one in the U.S. should be forced to do anything, including speak English. <

I think I gave many excellent reasons to support my argument. I haven't heard any good rationale from you to support your arguments though. Unless your reason is 'because they should be able to do whatever they want, nyah nyah nyah'. Which really isn't a very good reason...........................
  • Reply 72 of 159
    Quote:

Not necessary but a good idea. Now what should that second language be? Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Italian, German?

I suggest French, Spanish, and German, which are the ones I learned in high school and college.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 73 of 159
    Quote:

I think I gave many excellent reasons to support my argument. I haven't heard any good rationale from you to support your arguments though. Unless your reason is 'because they should be able to do whatever they want, nyah nyah nyah'. Which really isn't a very good reason...........................

But in the United States it is.

The U.S. shouldn't force people to do this. The U.S. should bend and learn to adapt; that's our strength. One day English won't even be spoken on the planet, but the hope is the U.S. will still be here. We're better prepared by not being a stick in the mud.

If the U.S. forced people to do things in one way then it would stifle innovation. Just like if we had laws that said you must cook food in such and such a manner. Food wouldn't be able to progress and we'd all be eating beef jerky or something like that. This is the exact opposite of how the U.S. functions and thrives.
  • Reply 74 of 159
    >The U.S. shouldn't force people to do this. The U.S. should bend and learn to adapt; that's our strength. One day English won't even be spoken on the planet, but the hope is the U.S. will still be here. We're better prepared by not being a stick in the mud.<

I prefer that folks moving here bend and learn to adapt to the country they decided to move to and was generous enough to allow them to enter. And since we can't possibly learn to speak every single language in the world it behooves us to continue using one language to connect us, and that language is English.

You're a wierd, whacky guy. Now why on earth wouldn't english be spoken on this planet years from now. Are the inhabitants of the Planet Yondo coming to take over?.................
  • Reply 75 of 159
    Quote:

>The U.S. shouldn't force people to do this. The U.S. should bend and learn to adapt; that's our strength. One day English won't even be spoken on the planet, but the hope is the U.S. will still be here. We're better prepared by not being a stick in the mud.<

I prefer that folks moving here bend and learn to adapt to the country they decided to move to and was generous enough to allow them to enter. And since we can't possibly learn to speak every single language in the world it behooves us to continue using one language to connect us, and that language is English.

You're a wierd, whacky guy. Now why on earth wouldn't english be spoken on this planet years from now. Are the inhabitants of the Planet Yondo coming to take over?.................

Latin is gone. Greek is gone. Chinese doesn't resemble anything that it used to resemble. It's inevitable.

Folks will bend to be here, it's impossible not to bend at all. Ultimately communication will exist here no matter what they speak.
  • Reply 76 of 159
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

1. Their children will be learning to speak English and in many cases they will not be able to communicate very well with them.

2. It will be harder for immigrants who don't speak English to find adequate jobs. If they go on welfare, it will be harder to get them off welfare.

3. It will be difficult for them to communicate with others. I have had spanish-speaking customers come in and ask if I speak Spanish. I am friends with a girl who does speak Spanish but she refuses to because it makes her angrier than me that they don't bother learning how. So, the customer ends up leaving. I don't think there are many stores in my area at least where this customer will be able to communicate with anyone. I know thats not true in many urban settings, but its the case here.

4. Its safer to be able to speak English. Theres no guarantee that there will be someone who speaks your language at a hospital, police station, etc. Remember, we're not just talking about Spanish here but immigrants come from all over the world.

5. What are the chances of someone moving up the economic ladder without knowing how to speak and understand English? Do you want immigrants to stay in their entry level jobs or do you want them to be able to become successful? I prefer they become successful.

1. the kids of wasp-americans that speak only english will not be able to communicate wehn their parents live in any non english speaking country.

2. exactly the same in case of emigrants speaking only english in the non english speaking countries.

3. those who can communicate in more than one language can normally communicate better. one language can have bigger distance to the subject than an other. you don't get this if you speak only english.

4. it is safer to speak only the local language. most south america speaks only spanish. and china only some different chinese etc.

5. reformulate the question again. what are the changes of an american speaking only english making a good life in a non anglo part of world? why do you even come to holiday to italy, germany, china, whatever part of world if you don't speak any local language and don'0t want to?

sorry my bad attitude today, but USA is not all of the world. in UK the official languages seem to include hindi, somali, bengali, ... would it be better all spoke only english? where would the big lost part of cultures go? speak what you want, but speak the local language too where ever you are.
  • Reply 77 of 159
    Quote:

It benefits the US because:

1. Cost savings. Yes, the govmnt wastes money in many other ways, but why add to it. Also, the burden falls mainly on local govmnts. Printing mulitlingual ballots is another unfunded Federal mandate.

2. See above items on jobs and welfare.

4. Historical continuity-English has always been the defacto language of the US. I see no reason why that should be changed, except it is now necessary to have to make it Official.

5. To say certain voters are disenfranchised is a lie. What about all the other immigrants who speak languages other than English? The only reason ballots aren't printed in those languages is because their population hasn't reached a critical mass that would influence elections. Therefore-the whole argument for printing ballots in Spanish is a sham. Perpetrated by politicians looking to gain votes from one ethnic group. The whole argument goes down the tubes IMHO...........................

1. print less documents. make them more clear, so e.g. and english speaker understands whats in the form.

why dont most countries save equally? when english is not official language, papers in english are provided. quit the cortesy ...

3. americans go everywhere and shop everywhere, and most whites don't want to learn new languages unless "civil ones" such as for opera or mode.

4. study the history. italians spoke italian, chinese chinese, mexicans spanish when california was mexico .. us has been pluricultural, never white anglo-british. for language, races, religions, cultures. chinese - italo - greek etc americans did not start to exist 20 y ago.

5. how many emigrants that came to usa 50 or 100 y ago spoke any english???
  • Reply 78 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

damn straight New York City is its own country. It has NOTHING to do with the rest of the USA.

NYC is the capital of the world, hands down.

azzz.. Zo, hey, chico,

your English is ormai pretty bad. You sound like a French guy speaking good English.

It's not on the level of the French though. Some geniuses complained they didn't understand my English because of my American accent.
  • Reply 79 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

1. the kids of wasp-americans that speak only english will not be able to communicate wehn their parents live in any non english speaking country.

2. exactly the same in case of emigrants speaking only english in the non english speaking countries.

3. those who can communicate in more than one language can normally communicate better. one language can have bigger distance to the subject than an other. you don't get this if you speak only english.

4. it is safer to speak only the local language. most south america speaks only spanish. and china only some different chinese etc.

5. reformulate the question again. what are the changes of an american speaking only english making a good life in a non anglo part of world? why do you even come to holiday to italy, germany, china, whatever part of world if you don't speak any local language and don'0t want to?

sorry my bad attitude today, but USA is not all of the world. in UK the official languages seem to include hindi, somali, bengali, ... would it be better all spoke only english? where would the big lost part of cultures go? speak what you want, but speak the local language too where ever you are.

1. wasp-americans? When their parents move to another country they would be expected to learn the new language.

2. emigrants who speak only rnglish in non-english speaking countries dont function very well.

3.I never said people should speak ONLY english, I said everyone should know how to speak english.

4. yes, it is safer to speak the local language.

5. you can go on vacation to a country without learning the language. I dont expect toursists to know how to speak english.

In UK the official language is English. It would not be better to speak only english, like I said it would be better to speak english plus anything else..............................
  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

1. print less documents. make them more clear, so e.g. and english speaker understands whats in the form.

why dont most countries save equally? when english is not official language, papers in english are provided. quit the cortesy ...

3. americans go everywhere and shop everywhere, and most whites don't want to learn new languages unless "civil ones" such as for opera or mode.

4. study the history. italians spoke italian, chinese chinese, mexicans spanish when california was mexico .. us has been pluricultural, never white anglo-british. for language, races, religions, cultures. chinese - italo - greek etc americans did not start to exist 20 y ago.

5. how many emigrants that came to usa 50 or 100 y ago spoke any english???

1. hard to print less documents if they are in every language. Thats one reason for english-only.

3. Americans travel, yes, but so do other nations. You dont have to be multilingual to go on vacation. And what about black americans? And not all second generation latin-americans or asian-americans speak anything other than english.

4. Thats right, the US has always been multi-cultural. Immigrants have always known they would need to learn english when they got here.

5. Not many-they learned after they got here, which is the way it should remain............................................ .