New PowerBooks '03!!!!! (merged)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Just placed my order for the 1.25Ghz 15" Powerbook w/superdrive at the Apple Store. Added a couple of goodies to my order too, delivery scheduled for 3-5 business days!!!

I will keep you posted as soon as I receive it.

I bought the same too, just scaled a few things. I don't need the superdrive because its the same drive that I have in my PC (Pioneer DVR-104). Maybe if it was the A06 that supports DVD+R and DVD-R I would have considered it. Hey Bill M, can you post your specs.

Man, I feel like they F*()ED me with the sales tax. Too bad we don't live in Oregon! (No sales tax)

PowerBook 1.25GHz (15.2" TFT) \t \t \t Z07E \t \t 3-5 bus.days \t \t 1 \t \t $2,051.00 \t \t $2,051.00

\t1.25GHz PowerPC G4 \t065-4116 \t

\t60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm \t065-4117 \t

\tCombo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) \t065-4402 \t

\tBacklit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English \t065-4495 \t

\t512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs \t065-4139 \t

\tAirPort Extreme Card \t065-4496 \t

\tOffice v.X for Mac Student and Teacher Edition \t\t\tT7538LL/A \t\t1-3 bus.days \t\t1 \t\t$149.95 \t\t$149.95

\tSubtotal: \t$2,200.95

\tShipping Charge: \t$0.00

\tEstimated Tax : \t$178.28

\tEstimated Total: \t$2,379.23

Does anyone know if Apple will be nice and give us new powerbook owners a free upgrade to Panther?
  • Reply 22 of 177
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Wait here, no L3 cache in none of the new powerbooks? Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 23 of 177
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I'm trying to decide whether to go BTO for the bigger hard drive and Airport Extreme card. If I do, it'll take longer. But 60GB is nicer than 40.

Decisions, decisions.

Amorya
  • Reply 24 of 177
    Bit mean dropping the backlit keyboard on the COMBO 15" \
  • Reply 25 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Wait here, no L3 cache in none of the new powerbooks? Or am I missing something?

Doesn't look like it. From the tech specs on Apple's site:

Code:

= 1GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine

512K SRAM on-chip L2 cache

133MHz system bus

(12-inch models)

= 1GHz or 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine

167MHz system bus

(15-inch models)

= 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine

167MHz system bus

(17-inch model)

Was Moto's new chip supposed to/speculated to have L3 cache?
  • Reply 26 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Same here, can't find it either.

Now, why? I find it hard to believe that the 512kB of L2 cache is enough. The bus speed is still crap, at 167MHz.

Probably because of the price or availability, but the effect of this remains to be seen.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    Its about God damn time!!!

Jeees..Im glad the new 12 incher is out

and now!

Screw you Guys Im goin home!

(Im tired of reading all these stupid rumors...

Im gona get my 12incher and never lookin back)

*not gona read another rumor for at least 4 years (till Im out of collge basically...then we'll see)

so where was I..oh yea

C ya...
  • Reply 28 of 177
    The 7457 is supposed to be able to expand it's external L3 cache support to 4MB (though only 2MB can be used as cache per se; the rest is available as "private memory").
  • Reply 29 of 177
    Battery Life?

How is the new 1.25GHz G4 in terms of battery life? Apple claims that the 15" AlBook will last up to 4.5 hours on a single charge. We all know how inflated that estimate is, and that real-life usage would be much less. Are these chips more efficient?

If my TiBook claimed 'up to 5 hours' and really only got a little over 3 hours, will the new AlBook (which claims up to 4.5 hours ) conk out after only 2.5 hours with real time usage? (decent brightness, WiFi on, etc.)

\
  • Reply 30 of 177
    Well this just sucks. Even though I am preparing to go to my Apple Store and buy one of these babies, I can't help but wonder:

-The new 15" is THICKER by .1"...what the hell

-LESS battery life??!!! 4.5 hours vs. 5 hours on the Tis

-No L3 CACHE!!!!??? WHAT CHIPS ARE THESE!? 7457 or 7455?!

But ya know what? It's 2x faster than my TiBook, has DVD burning, BT, AE, FW800, Backlit Keyboard, Radeon 9600, and an aluminum enclosure...and I can get it for 2 grand when combined with the edu rebate. Oh well, you let us down Apple....WHY!!!
  • Reply 31 of 177
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I got the 15" 1.25GHz because I wanted the backlit keyboard. I scaled it down from a SuperDrive to a ComboDrive because we already have a A05 in our G4 so I'll burn with that. I also got an iPod and Printer as part of that rebate thing.

When it says Est Shipping...is that till it ships or till you have it? And if it is till it ships, how fast is the delivery that is free from apple.com/store?
  • Reply 32 of 177
    Quote:

Oh well, you let us down Apple....WHY!!!

What you mean "Us". You were let down. You don't speak for me or thousands of others.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well this just sucks. Even though I am preparing to go to my Apple Store and buy one of these babies, I can't help but wonder:

-The new 15" is THICKER by .1"...what the hell

-LESS battery life??!!! 4.5 hours vs. 5 hours on the Tis

-No L3 CACHE!!!!??? WHAT CHIPS ARE THESE!? 7457 or 7455?!

But ya know what? It's 2x faster than my TiBook, has DVD burning, BT, AE, FW800, Backlit Keyboard, Radeon 9600, and an aluminum enclosure...and I can get it for 2 grand when combined with the edu rebate. Oh well, you let us down Apple....WHY!!!

You have to take into account that ATI Radeon Mobile 9600 requires more energy, along with the built in extras.

As far as let down, I think that the upgrades were very reasonable and are competive to other notebook makers. Try to find a laptop with all these features from Dell or Gateway? You cannot beat it.
  • Reply 34 of 177
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    This is now Current Hardware folks.
  • Reply 35 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by feliperal

You have to take into account that ATI Radeon Mobile 9600 requires more energy, along with the built in extras.

As far as let down, I think that the upgrades were very reasonable and are competive to other notebook makers. Try to find a laptop with all these features from Dell or Gateway? You cannot beat it.

True, hence why I am on my out right now to get one...
  • Reply 36 of 177
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Well, at least Apple made the right decision on screen size and resolution. Rather than move to a 15.4" screen, they stuck with the 3:2 ratio and kept the 854 vertical height.

To the squintronic spec whores: MUAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!! I am teh WIN!
  • Reply 37 of 177
    Just placed order:

12" 60GB/SuperDrive

+ 20GB iPod!

In australia we have a $300 rebate on any laptop + any ipod ordered together valid until end of september. =WOOOHOOOO!

• Reply 38 of 177
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Haha I asked this in another thread but am impatient so I will ask here if the Est. Shipping is time till you get it or time till they ship it. If it is till they ship it, how long is apple's free shipping?
  • Reply 39 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Haha I asked this in another thread but am impatient so I will ask here if the Est. Shipping is time till you get it or time till they ship it. If it is till they ship it, how long is apple's free shipping?

I believe the answer is that 3-5 buisiness days is the time to process the order. In addition you have another 3-5 business days for ground shipping. So, if you ordered now, it should arrive to you 6-10 business days. I'd say September 28-30 or early October. I'd just pay the extra $15 dollars no biggie.
  • Reply 40 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Same here, can't find it either.

Now, why? I find it hard to believe that the 512kB of L2 cache is enough. The bus speed is still crap, at 167MHz.

Probably because of the price or availability, but the effect of this remains to be seen.

It's stated in the product description (highspeed architecture) that the PowerBook has L3 cache, at least the 17".