New PowerBooks '03!!!!! (merged)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

Has it even been confirmed that it's the 7457 in the new Powerbooks? If not, how can we find out?

It's either the 7457 or the 7447. Those are the only G4s with 512kB L2-cache.
  • Reply 102 of 177
    i am going to be getting a new 15" powerbook in a couple of weeks, but i had a question. if you check on alienware.com, they have 7200rpm hard drives with 8MB cache for their laptops. the question is, would i be able to purchase this specific spec hard drive from a third party and install into my powerbook? this would be my first apple ever, so i am not sure of the whole hardware/software compatibility of apple.

thanks

seth
  • Reply 103 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

ORDER DATE: 09/16/03 - 02:38 AM Pacific Standard Time

Ok some questions...

1st..I did standard shipping and I live in pennsylvania (near philly) when can I expect to get this?

Edit: Nevermind this...Apple's website says PBG4 on or before the 23, and the iPod and printer on or before the 19. This is freak'n awesome!

You won't get it --- it will be stolen off the truck as it goes through Philly. fougeddaboudid.

Quote:

2nd...Will DVD Studio Pro still run even though iDVD won't? I want to make stuff on this and send it to my G4 to burn

Not w/o a dvd burner.

Quote:

3rd...I ordered an iPod with my PowerBook. I believe I read you are supposed to do something with the batteries first before you use them for the first time? Can someone fill me in?

4th...Is there a screen to find WiFi networks? Even if they are private, is there a window that will tell me if I am in range of one?

No --- Get macstumbler. http://www.macstumbler.com/

Quote:

5th...Is it possible to be TOO happy?! I was telling everyone haha. One of my teachers I didn't even tell asked me when it is shipping while I was leaving school. I told a different once that I'll bring it in once I get it and show him FCP (soundtrack too hopefully)

No, ask my wife. Anyway, she's happy I won't be keeping her updated on the rumors.
  • Reply 104 of 177
    Anyone notice that the 15" now has the same "mid-range" speaker as the 12" had/has?
  • Reply 105 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by seth

i am going to be getting a new 15" powerbook in a couple of weeks, but i had a question. if you check on alienware.com, they have 7200rpm hard drives with 8MB cache for their laptops. the question is, would i be able to purchase this specific spec hard drive from a third party and install into my powerbook? this would be my first apple ever, so i am not sure of the whole hardware/software compatibility of apple.

thanks

seth

Yeah, it will work. To be sure, get it from a mac-centric site such as MCE (www.powerbook1.com) or Other World (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...ries&Template=)
  • Reply 106 of 177
    thanks machem
  • Reply 107 of 177
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    But how does it effect battery life?
  • Reply 108 of 177
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I bit the bullet and bought the 1.25 with the Superdrive from my local dealer. Should be here in a couple of days.

One thing that upsets me is the 4200 RPM drive; I wish Apple equipped this model with a 5400 RPM, or better yet, with a 7200 RPM drive. The 80GB 5400 upgrade option for additional $120 is unacceptable. I can get -- and probably will -- a 60GB 7200 RPM Hitachi for around $280 and sell the 80 GB for $200 easy.

At any rate, I am happy with the new Powerbook line. Keeping my fingers crossed that the display will not have any stuck pixels.
  • Reply 109 of 177
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    NOFEER yes get the 12"!!! Make sure you get 640 RAM, Apple pricing on this particular model with that RAM isn't bad. Also get the Airport. Get the SuperDrive if you'll be doing a lot of backup OR copying movies which is very easy with DVDBackup, DVD2OneX, and Toast.

And YES!!! The 12" SuperDrive WILL burn DVD-RW and do DVD-R 2x and CDR 16x with the firmware patch!
  • Reply 110 of 177
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    ast3r3x:

DVD Studio WILL run fine on a machine without a DVD burner.

i know, because that's what i do.

don't listen to anybody else.
  • Reply 111 of 177
    Quote:

But how does it effect battery life?

From OWC and MCE It appears that a 5400 RPM drive is just under 10% more power cost (from about 4.7W to 5.0W) This is probably, what, 25% of the processor's energy cost. Maybe 2-5% less battery? I can't answer that w/o display energy costs, and hands on the machine.

I'd bet a 7200RPM drive would push the energy cost to 6W, but if you will feel the speed, it would probably be worth it.

Myself, I'm keeping the 4200RPM drive, but I suspect I will move to a 5400 at some point --- I will be doing a lot of rendering. 7200 for me isn't worth the cost, especially if I get a G5 this winter.
  • Reply 112 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

ast3r3x:

DVD Studio WILL run fine on a machine without a DVD burner.

i know, because that's what i do.

don't listen to anybody else.

Yeah, I was clearly talking out of my shorts. Sorry.
  • Reply 113 of 177
    Quote:

2nd...Will DVD Studio Pro still run even though iDVD won't? I want to make stuff on this and send it to my G4 to burn

I THINK DVD Studio Pro WILL run on your PowerBook (which has the combo drive, correct?). It's the way Apple gets around their restriction on iDVD. They want you to pay for SOMETHING. In iDVD's case, you pay for the burner; in the case of DVDSP, you pay for the software. I know that you can export to DLT tape and to a disk image, among other things.

EDIT: pesi beat me to it! I was trying to find a list of supported burners on Apple's site.
  • Reply 114 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

You should get the 12pb because it has a g4 in it. Alot of posts on this site will tell you that OSX runs great on a g3. Trust me, it doesn't!

OS X.2 runs great on my iMac DVSE 500 mhz G3
  • Reply 115 of 177
    Shee-ot. I forgot I had upgraded my Pismo's HD --- it's a 5400. Maybe that's why I wasn't worried about speed decreasing with a 4200. I ordered my machine with an 80G, which is larger enough from 48G that I won't want to swap. Dang.

How much is the 5400RPM upgrade again?
  • Reply 116 of 177
    OK, I feel better. I found this post at MacNN Forums. Someone got a 15" this morning at an Apple Store, and was asked to post the HD info from System Profiler:

Quote:

WOW! Congrats! That is a beauty!

Just so you know, that Fujitsu HD is a sweet one. It has an 8MB cache, huge areal density and is SILENT! I was going to buy one for my FW Enclosure. I can't believe Apple is actually using a HD with 8/MB cache and not listing it as one of their features? That cache and areal density make up for the speed. Nice!

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/product...ifications.html

..comments? Does the cache make up a bit for the speed?
  • Reply 117 of 177
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

..comments? Does the cache make up a bit for the speed?

Well, cache is RAM. RAM is much, much faster than any hard drive, even over an ATA bus. 8MB of RAM can stash about 8MB of files, which is pretty much anything except for really big projects.

So if you're planning on slinging huge Photoshop files around a lot, or streaming lots of video, it won't help that much and you should spring for the faster HD (or use a desktop hard drive plugged in via FireWire for that kind of work). If you tend to work with smaller files (and applications, which will also get stored in cache when they fit - after all, they're just files) you'll see a significant difference.
  • Reply 118 of 177
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

OS X.2 runs great on my iMac DVSE 500 mhz G3

Yep, I run 10.2.6 on a 700MHz G3 iMac, and it's been absolutely fine.
  • Reply 119 of 177
    Been dying to get online? My mama was on the phone?

My first reaction today was one of slight disappointment, though excitement none-the-less. My slight disappointment is not really in relation to the awesome real-world machines that Apple has unveiled today, but rather in relation to my imaginings of the utterly fantastic machines that Apple could have unveiled. I am sure this is true for many Mac-heads.

This ?downcast-ness? ? if I am honest ? is still with me. However, I am sure it will pass when I am introduced to the PBs in this real world to which I have been forced to return...

BTW, when will there be New PBs in shops for people to see and play with (and report on)?
  • Reply 120 of 177
    A CATALOGUE OF ERRORS

FIRST Its strange how apple.com/uk (and the US Apple website, I hear) made the mistake about saying the 15? and 17? PowerBooks both had ?1MB of DDR SRAM level 3 cache?? It went on: ?The level 3 cache is high-speed dedicated memory for the processor and boosts system performance by providing quick access to data and instructions en route to the processor.?

I am absolutely sure it said L3 because I snuck onto my boss?s computer at about 12:30pm BST (GMT+1) while he was out at lunch And ?cos it?s the only machine in the room with an Internet connection, and he was on his way back, I had to print out the 15? and 17? PB sections from Hardware. I?m readying it now, a little miffed: ?level 3 cache?. (I must be one of the few people with hard-copy proof of this?) How could they get that wrong at this stage?!!

Surely someone proof read the damn pages!!! Apparently not?

SECOND I don?t know about the American ?personalisation? of the English language, but here we spell ?aesthetic?, just so. With an ?a? at the front. The last time I looked at the UK Hardware section it was spelt ?esthetic?.

AND! ?Long battery battery life? (Apple Store UK for Education ?Choose Your PowerBook? page). Yes, a repeated word. Simple, guys, simple?

MORE? ?On the inside, faster PowerPC G4 processors, powerful graphics capabilities, up to 1GB of RAM and the world?s most advanced operating system combine to deliver off-the-charts performance.? Even I knew before I got to this page (15? PB sections from Hardware) that the 15? could hold 2GB of RAM?

Anyway ? nit-picking aside ? my point is that the pages look(-ed?) so rushed; unpolished. These kinds of mistakes don?t happen if you have time to review and revise?

Is this a rushed product (re-)launch, or am I scaring myself unnecessarily? \