what's gonna be left for macworld in jan?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 205
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why not make ichat compatible with aol/netscape IM and port it to windows as well
  • Reply 182 of 205
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

... Back in Word 5, I was using frames to place graphics in the top right corner for instance. Then they came out with some dumb other manner of handeling graphics which didn't even let me automatically place graphics aligned to margins etc. The frame option has now been buried deeper in the interface, but I still use it. I can't tell you how much time I spend with graphics jumping pages and big white gaps without text (hours and hours-change a period and do it all over again). ...

Wow, I thought it was just me. I can't get graphics to coexist with text in Word no matter how hard I try. I've had to resort to copying from Powerpoint, pasting in Paint, copying from Paint and pasting back into Word. (This is on Windows!) I don't know how this got screwed up so badly. How can they have shipped it like this?
  • Reply 183 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

why not make ichat compatible with aol/netscape IM and port it to windows as well

I believe that iChat is already compatible with AOL chat, what Apple needs to do is license the AV portion of the software to AOL so that it becomes part of the AOL service, and a trojan horse to get Quicktime on all computers running AOL. To develop a "Free" program for users of another OS does not make the best fiscal sense, but to have AOL "switch" their AV protocal to Quicktime in the deal does make a lot of sense for Apple, all of a sudden there is a lot larger install base for Quicktime, which means more pressure for web services such as the BBC, CNN, etc. to support Quicktime.
  • Reply 184 of 205
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think Rev B PowerMacs.

Lemon Bon Bon

Shortest post EVER by Lemon Bon Bon!!
  • Reply 185 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i was going to buy a pb15 for christmas, should i wait???

Buy. Powerbooks were just updated.
  • Reply 186 of 205
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

... Hmmm. I'd be surprised if all Apple does at San Fran is announce iPod sales that have broken the half a million mark...

I wouldn't.
  • Reply 187 of 205
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think apple will have a G5 Xserve running RenderMan Server. For starters.

That's what keeps coming to mind for me anyway.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. Only about 3 posts.
  • Reply 188 of 205
    Quote:

Shortest post EVER by Lemon Bon Bon!!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 189 of 205
    Regardless of what happens, Steve Jobs is a master showman/orator and the San Fran' show should be a great watch.

Apple has a fasincating and compelling CEO. His live performances make great viewing. I love getting sucked in by the RDF!

Steve Jobs vs Monkey Boy? No competition...

I think 2004 will be an even better year than 2003 was for Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 190 of 205
    Ditto ! ! !
  • Reply 191 of 205
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon

Even shorter!!
  • Reply 192 of 205
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i think that ichat a/v & isight compatibility with AIM is really gonna make it for macworld! it's obvious that apple likes to tease PC users to the fullest extent. there is no way this will be as big as the ipod, but will be yet another item that will make all the PC mom and pops look at apple in another light. good move if you ask me!
  • Reply 193 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

I believe that iChat is already compatible with AOL chat, what Apple needs to do is license the AV portion of the software to AOL so that it becomes part of the AOL service, and a trojan horse to get Quicktime on all computers running AOL. To develop a "Free" program for users of another OS does not make the best fiscal sense, but to have AOL "switch" their AV protocal to Quicktime in the deal does make a lot of sense for Apple, all of a sudden there is a lot larger install base for Quicktime, which means more pressure for web services such as the BBC, CNN, etc. to support Quicktime.

Apple made all of iChat open sourced so people could implement the technology.

I agree it would be good to get AOL doing that. Having just gotten an iSight as a b-day gift its so fun. But I only have one person to talk with.
  • Reply 194 of 205
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Aparently, this MW will be focused on

Final Cut Pro.
  • Reply 195 of 205
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    if final cut pro is the focus, i guess that G5 bumps are a given. wouldn't you want to show off final cut in all it's glory on the latest and greatest hardware?
  • Reply 196 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

I think macworld could very well be the Apple Office coming out party. The hardware seems to be coming into place as things become available (and in time for the christmas buying season)... last year we saw Keynote and Safari... This year, i think the rest of the office apps could very well roll out. Going over apps like this would take up quite a chunk of time... i'd rather see this than hardware anyways... I have had it up to here with Office v.X

I just don't understand why everyone thinks an Apple Office suite will come out anytime soon. There's not a chance in hell they would do such a thing before the next version of Microsoft Office rolls out. My guess is that the Apple Office will be based on Open Office and will emerge after the Apple-Microsoft contracts expire.

As for Macworld, I think we'll see either updated PowerMacs or G5 iMacs. I am inclined to lean toward the G5 iMacs because Apple has wisely chosen to release products as they're available rather than wait for a big venue, except for major product revisions. We'll probably see new PowerMacs as soon as they're ready.

I also expect several software updates/releases.
  • Reply 197 of 205
    How about this?

PowerMac G5 Cube = Single 2.0 Ghz

PowerMac G5 Tower = Dual 2.2 Ghz | Dual 2.4 Ghz | Dual 2.6 Ghz

It doesn't actually have to be a cube. It could just be a smaller Mini Me version of the PowerMac G5 towers. Or maybe they will introduce a 20th Anniversary Macintosh or an all new iMac using the 2.0 Ghz G5.

The fact that they are shipping Apple four chips just make me wonder!
  • Reply 198 of 205
    There is lots of talk of hardware and software which IS the meat and potatoes of any Macworld, but what about apple.com?

I was just noticing that it is looking long in the tooth...and with new Panther 'tabs' and such...could use a total remake. Any word on this?
  • Reply 199 of 205
    hehehhe...

i sure hope that the "one more thing" isn't a new apple website....

that sure would be way beyond the rumor sites!
  • Reply 200 of 205
    There has bee a lot of hardware talk lately... but what about some of the iApps? When will iChatAV be available or work with other apps (Yahoo Messenger for instance) so I can see and hear my (loser) friends who only have PCs?

Is there an iTunes update coming? What might it have?

iPhoto hasn't been updated in a bit either.

The point of all the iApps (and the iPod for that matter) is to get people to look at and buy Apple computers, cause that is where they make their money. So what new iApps might be coming?

Also with the success of the iPod - Apple has got to be thinking of some other digital lifestyle product to release... but what?