'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 245
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I may be wrong on the 64 tracks piece. Here's a quote from GB's loop page

Didn't Jobs say that it was limited to 64 tracks? I wonder if he meant live audio/midi input? There are lots of multi-track/sequencing apps out there that offer, say 8 or 16 tracks of audio and 64 of sequences....
  • Reply 162 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Didn't Jobs say that it was limited to 64 tracks? I wonder if he meant live audio/midi input? There are lots of multi-track/sequencing apps out there that offer, say 8 or 16 tracks of audio and 64 of sequences....

I could've sworn he did say there is a 64 track limit in GB. That's why I said so in my earlier post, but I decided to check out the product pages again and that's why I posted that quote in my later post.

I'm gonna check out the keynote again and run through the whole GB segment again.
  • Reply 163 of 245
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

64 tracks is a lot, at BEST you'd have 6-8 mics for drums

plus 2-3 vocal mics

maybe 2-3 mics on guitar amps

and 1-3 people playing DI

and then you still have lots of room to spare.

I was under teh impression that it was only 24 tracks? 64 though...daamn that's really a lot, doesn't the 64 track version of pro tools(no different than the 24 track version, just with more tracks) cost like $1000 more?

Yeah, 64 tracks for a consumer app is ridiculous. I'm curious how they are going to deal with the fact that most people's machines will konk out long before they hit that number.

In logic, I rarely use more than ~15 or so software instruments (typically a bunch of exs24s, an fm7 or two and maybe one or two of my other synths) and about the same number of audio tracks. 64 tracks is more than enough for anything.
  • Reply 164 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, but if 64 tracks is true, that's crazy, I thought it was 24 myself, but 64...whew.

that'd be awesome(even if you couldn't ever use that many)
  • Reply 165 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    From the keynote: "Digitally mix up to 64 tracks."

Remember, this is a pro music tool...

for the rest of us.

• Reply 166 of 245
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Yeah, but if 64 tracks is true, that's crazy, I thought it was 24 myself, but 64...whew.

that'd be awesome(even if you couldn't ever use that many)

I think it's totally cool to give a high track limit.

I like that garageband seems to be focused on giving a complete package for someone who doesn't do much computer audio while not simply delivering a totally crippled version of a higher-end DAW.

In other words, it looks like they decided to make a DAW that started with the needs of the consumer-level user in mind. That's pretty cool.
  • Reply 167 of 245
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is there a page, a PDF or some buried section at Apple's site that lists ALL the instruments included, in both GarageBand and the JamPack?

I was just curious.

I saw a little icon for a bagpipe, so that's totally cool!

I'm gonna have to go and buy an electric guitar again. Probably just a simple Danelectro Mod or Hodad model. I'm a Dano-nut.

And I sold my damn bass less than 6 months ago because I thought "ahh, when am I ever gonna get it out again?"

Argghhh...
  • Reply 168 of 245
    What's the 7th string on that electric? That Dano web site doesn't seem to work well with Safari.
  • Reply 169 of 245
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I believe it's a low B, ideal for that "I'mgonnastranglemymotherandcutyoureyesout" ominous, heavy tone.

I remember 7 string guitars being a bit of a trend a couple of years ago, among the Limp Korn set. Couldn't walk into a Barnes & Noble and NOT see 7-string Ibanez shit all over the cover of Guitar World and other mags.

• Reply 170 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
  • Reply 171 of 245
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    From Mac Teens:

"First Impressions of GarageBand

by Colin Winslow

While the iPod Minis are certainly the most controversial announcement of the keynote, to many of us, GararageBand is by far the most exciting. I spent a few minutes with an Apple rep in their towering booth playing with the new software. Its really is quite easy to create a decent sounding track from a series of loops. I made some sort of blues/harmonica thing with a vintage organ in about five minutes. The loops "ohtamatically" adjust their tempo to match your composition settings. Some electronic pianos offer a similar feature where you can lay down a rhythm track and choose tempo and key in which to play it. Unfortunately, while GarageBand lets you choose tempo, it has you locked into a particular key for each track. The only way around this appears to be to plug in your own instrument and do it yourself. "
  • Reply 172 of 245
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    So each track has its own key. If you want that instrument to change keys, you'd have to add the same instrument in a new key in a new track, yes? A bit clumsy, but who can complain really.
  • Reply 173 of 245
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Ok, looking at the Apple screen shot, you can break up tracks into smaller chunk. So wouldn't you be able to change the key for the different sections? Or is this only for software instruments?

• Reply 174 of 245
    Quote:

www.conklinguitars.com

http://www.conklinguitars.com/faceba...ss8/index.html

because more=better nyuk nyuk nyuk

Them is some nice guitars.
  • Reply 175 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

So each track has its own key. If you want that instrument to change keys, you'd have to add the same instrument in a new key in a new track, yes? A bit clumsy, but who can complain really.

I wonder if it's each track that has it's own key, or each composition. What I'm (pessimistically) guessing is that it automatically changes the pitch of whatever new track you stick in there to the key of whatever others loops are already there in the other tracks.
  • Reply 176 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I wonder if it's each track that has it's own key, or each composition. What I'm (pessimistically) guessing is that it automatically changes the pitch of whatever new track you stick in there to the key of whatever others loops are already there in the other tracks.

If you look closely at the loops selection list, there are various keys preset. It looks, instead, like you either grab a loops in a certain key, or assign it the key you want.
  • Reply 177 of 245
    Yeah but it says it automatically changes the key to match the other stuff. So if you've already put some stuff in F in there, and then you grab something that's in D, it'll change it to F before playing it.

But that means it clearly has the capability to change keys - the question is, can you do it manually, at any point you want?
  • Reply 178 of 245
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yeah but it says it automatically changes the key to match the other stuff. So if you've already put some stuff in F in there, and then you grab something that's in D, it'll change it to F before playing it.

But that means it clearly has the capability to change keys - the question is, can you do it manually, at any point you want?

Right. Surely, if they've put so much work into having this be automatic, there's an option to change the key manually somewhere.

Surely.

Oh wait. This is Apple we're talking about, isn't it.
  • Reply 179 of 245
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Does someone have a cached copy of the keynote, or perhaps just the John Mayer performance? Because I could have sworn while I was listening to him play that there were definitely key changes. There was a definite A-B-A structure to the song he created.
  • Reply 180 of 245
    Well you can get the keynote from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/

But although there were different loops and things happening, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear any chord changes.

Arghh! I've got to stop posting about this stuff. We'll find out in a week.