The iPod smear campaign is working

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just had a co-worker come up to me to warn me about my iPod and its battery. He's decided to buy a Dell DJ instead of an iPod, and warned me not to bother with Apple stuff. When I warned him that the Dell DJ has the same type of battery and has two of them, he insisted it was an Apple problem, not a battery problem. He's managed to scare off at least two other people in my group who have been considering an iPod.

I'd say the smear campaign by those guys in NY is working. Apple should take a more public stance against these guys and their claims if they want the iPod to conintue with its success.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So basically your coworker is a loudmouthed ill-informed moron, eh?

Get used to it. They're everywhere.

All you can do is give them the facts, preferably from third party sources, (such as battery specs from Dell's and Apple's websites, point out that they're identical battery packs,) and preferably in public so that they are humiliated and embarrassed, and other people know not to listen to them.

Works wonders.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    My parents live in the UK and neither of them 'do' computers, and they have never started a conversation about Apple.

Until yesterday, when:

'It has been on the news that your iPod battery doesn't work'.

\
  • Reply 3 of 91
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    yeah, everyone is telling me that, but I tell them the truth,

dumb ****ers.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha So basically your coworker is a loudmouthed ill-informed moron, eh?

Get used to it. They're everywhere.

How beautifully this ties into my comments in the "Apple marketshare is down" thread in General Discussion. In a nutshell, Apple's "problems" in this area is less about specs and features (despite the screaming of some of you) than it is about simple misinformation...or total lack of information, period.

All it takes is one loud-mouthed, ill-informed moron who saw a Quadra 610 in a neighbor's garage 7 years ago and instantly formed an opinion on Macs and all things Apple. And they'll offer up their know-nothing opinions and views on computers, knowing NOTHING about, oh, OS X, G4s, G5s, iApps, etc.

And these people, for some weird reasons, ALWAYS seem to be in positions of power and influence. Their dipshit friends take their dipshit buying advice from said dipshit. It's an ugly, sordid chain.

People don't know. I run into it all the time. Most non-Mac people think of Macs in one of two ways:

1. That little beige, square thing with the 9" screen they used in college that was expensive, had proprietary this and odd that, or...

2. The "Fisher-Price" era, of colored computers that "obviously can't be real computers, right? Real computers don't look like that!"

All the good stuff WE know about simply isn't out there, talked about, promoted, played up, advertised, marketed, etc.

To a good number of folks, a Mac is either a relic or an Etch-A-Sketch.

A shame...
  • Reply 5 of 91
    It's kind of like reading eBay feedback, or user comments on a product, only the negative reviews are interesting, the positive stuff is all the same, background static easily ignored, but when someone says something bad, no matter how mis informed it is, it gets people interested.

It's a bummer, but it's true. fortunately, the main market that the 'dirty secret' ad is affecting is the PC nerd market.

The MTV pop teen market that apple is gunning for, is going to be totally unaffected by this.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, I forwarded him a couple of web links to iPod FAQs, Apple's iPod page, and an article about the fiasco. And, yeah, this guy is one of these dogmatic types who decides that since he heard a story one way, that's the way it is. Anyway, he hasn't responded to my e-mail with the links, not that I'm expecting one.

It's the others he's poo-pooed the iPod in front of I'm worried about. One is a new-ish Mac owner, and she's had a great experience with her PowerBook (except she's frustrated with the Mac's financial software options). It will probably be easier toquell her fears. The other guy though, and probably anyone else this guy runs around to, are another problem. Problem is, he's hlafway competant in Photoshop, and I've taught him some 3D modeling, and while he's not an expert in either by my experience, he is considered tech savvy compared to a lot of others around here.

I think that sort of person is typical in a lot of people's lives, and that's why Apple should be worried. It's basically more of the same with regard to iPods instead of Macintoshes, but they don't want to lose traction there like they lost the PC market all those years ago.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    This started well before Christmas and Apple still didn't have enough iPods to meet demands. When you're #1 or on top there's always someone or some group of people that will bad mouth the product. It goes with the territory. Macheads have been bad-mouthing everything Windows for years! Of course, if Apple had responded with the right answer originally this wouldn't have gotten much notice. Some Apple customer service people said, "sorry, out of warranty it will cost you an arm and a leg". Apple belatedly offered an extended warranty and a battery replacement. Both rather expensive I'd say ($49 and $99 respectively). There's a lot of arrogance at Infinte Loop at times. In the end the "smear campaign" hasn't been the least effective. Ancedotal stories don't tell the story. Sales do, and they're through the roof. Also I'm sure HP wouldn't have made a deal if they thought the "problem" was endemic to the design of the iPod. Apple did change battery suppliers prior to Christmas. The sky is not falling.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think the word is just starting to trickle [spelling fix]down to these people now though. It took 2 months, but word of mouth finally got to this guy in the past few days.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    Ah, the old "Reagan" trickle down theory!
  • Reply 10 of 91
    the other day i had a guy tell me mac's were only good for lightwave and listening to music... i tried to correct him, but to no avail... i think he's one of those intense gamer guys that you'd have to torture to get them to even look at a mac...
  • Reply 11 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My windows using roommate had been lusting after my iPod and someone had told him about the battery crap too. I set him straight and he is now the happy owner of the new low end 15 gig.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    My mom works at a church and I was visiting her after class the other day and was messing around on her computer, checking out Apple. A lady that works with her came into her office and saw the iPod on the screen. She said, "My daughter wants one of those, but I heard somewhere that the battery only lasts about a year." I had to set her straight, I think she might have gone home and ordered one that very same day.

And another time, I was hanging out with a friend and we were talking about my brother's new iPod and his dad overheard us. He is a pretty well informed guy when it comes to computers, but he was convinced that the battery would die after 18 months. I tried to set him straight, to no avail. He has been a mac user since the days of the Mac+. \

I'm not convinced though, maybe those guys got a lemon, but you'll get stuff like that in every industry, cars, computers...ect. Sucks to be them. I really hope this isn't hurting sales. And I hope the next revision fixes any problems that might be there. If Apple is smart they won't let this hurt the iPod.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    This is unbelievable. I will laugh (then cry) if this will affect iPod sales.

Personally, I think this is Apple's own fault. If they would have been proactive from day one with their iPod repair policy and iPod AppleCare none of this would ever had happened.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    To allude to an above post, it is very true that some of these people that are not interested in Macs have no idea of Mac OS X. I was talking to this girl about how stable Macs are now, and I told her that it was very different from 6 years ago when Macs were good, but not as stable for doing everything. There is a lack of information coming from Apple about these great products. People say that iTunes is great, and the iPod is great, but they do not trust the computers because of past transgressions.

"We should take a field trip down to the Apple Store."
  • Reply 15 of 91
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Are there battery repair options or Extended warranties for the Rio, Dell, or Naptster players?

Most of these companies use the same or similar batteries, but their products are a year or 2 behind Apple so there isn't any quality history to compare. It seems the problem is a symptom of these types of devices rather than iPod specific.

Would people rather go through AA batteries like they did with there walkmans and discmans? Personally that drove me nuts and cost me a lot of money. With any new technology trend there are things that people will have to get used to and this is one of them.

Ultimately Apple should have come out with the warranty options earlier if they knew something, but I think their solution is pretty close to fair (with the typical Apple mark up on anything..)
  • Reply 16 of 91
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    People are idiots, plain and simple. It sounds like they're saying that Apple programs the batteries to stop working after 18 months. It's ludicrous.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    This whole thread is indicative of the problems Apple has with gaining market share. People have their opions about Apple and they are very slow to change. I could not belive the last sale figures. Gateway sells more than Apple. Unbelievable in my world (University setting), but I guess I don't live in the real world. There are days that I just figure the masses have no taste and no clue.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    $%^& DELL!!!
  • Reply 19 of 91
    People arent just dumb and without sense of taste, they also just dont care...if you mix all three you have a pretty retarded result.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Lets face it, many folks who have grown up PC (and that would be the majority of the world) wouldn't be caught with an Apple product. They just aren't willing to change yet. Old habits are hard to change.

It's like someone asking you to give up your Mac, and try Windows XP.

You could...but you won't.