NHL Trade Deadline 2K4!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I fell asleep during the 3rd period of the Canucks game last night so I didn't see it. Can you post a non-TSN link to the video?

I think Salo will be a better performer in Colorado than he ever was in Edmonton because Colorado's defense is of a higher quality... although I don't get why they traded Morris and not some other offensive player (or a draft pick) for Gratton. Morris is one of the best defensmen in the league, if not the most physical.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    gorebuggorebug Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Flames?! No way, baby... Toddzilla for President!

The Canucks pay another visit to Colorado this evening. I still think Moore's hit was more intentional than he lets on and I still hope he gets hammered by Sopel or Ruutu. Nice open ice hit would be perfect...

Should be a great game.

The only thing Todd may be president of in the near future is the prison book club.

Moore's neck is broken.

Edit: Link to video

here
  • Reply 43 of 107
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Leafs just picked up Ron Francis of the Canes.

Ow.

We just lost our *captain*.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    Bertuzzi: Banned for life, in my opinion. That's just 100% uncalled for.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    There is no question Bertuzzi was an idiot to grab Moore's jersey and sucker punch him in the head (that's clearly what knocked him out IMO... you can see he practically goes limp after getting hit), but I really doubt Bert intended to land on his head like that. Further, all the dumbass Colorado players piling on clearly could've caused the neck injury, just as easily as Bert could have.

He ought to be suspended for the rest of the season, playoffs included without pay, but the worst part of Moore's injury might've come from his own 'mates piling on. Stupid [response to an already bad situation.

I know if I ever got decked like that with some goon on my back, I wouldn't want my teammates to jump on him, I'd want them to drag his ass off me and pound the crap out of him.

Furthermore, I have to admit I've lost respect for Bert at this point. He may yet earn it back some day (depending on how he owns up to this and his future behavior on ice). But even if he hadn't landed on his head, it was still a pretty revolting display.

Why not grab his jersey, spin him around, then start punching? Even that would've been bad, but not unforgiveable, as Moore refused to remove his visor while fighting with Cooke earlier in the game (also a worthless act). Anyway, I hope Moore is able to fully recover. That's all that really matters now. I'm sure Bert knows full well how fvcking stupid his retaliation method was at this point.]

Edit: added clarifying remarks.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I was thinking the exact same thing about the Moore situation, Moogs. Moore was out like a light at the first punch, and for that, Bertuzzi deserves a really really long suspension. The Everything after that was a comedy (in the Shakespearian sense) of errors, and I wonder how much damage that pile-up caused though after the fact. An absolute mess. Really, Moore is lucky to be alive it sounds.

Of course, I dare say that this sort of thing happens when the NHL doesn't really come down on players for stuff like this until it's too late. Moore's previous actions with Naslund would still likely make him a target of some retaliation, but a real suspension then would probably have saved eveeryone from the more serious consequences to everyone we're seeing now. I'm not excusing Bertuzzi at all, but it's just more terrible stuff being piled up. No one was ever right or justified here.

In other news, I do wonder at the wisdom of some of these teams that try to pile up all-stars on a trade deadline. Ron Francis is a great pick-up of course, but the Leafs are just this close to having a Rangers all-star roster, which I would be a little wary of, and they're not the only team who seems to try this every year with limited success.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    I dunno. The Leafs seem to have more chemistry than the Rangers ever had. I don't think adding a quality leader like Francis puts them in Sather territory. In fact kind of the opposite. Sather would've been a lot wiser a few years ago to pick up a Francis instead of a Holik or Lindros or now Jagr. None of those guys are leaders.

I dislike the trade simply because Ronnie was a cornerstone of Pittsburgh's Cup years and to see him in blue and white distresses me. Sort of like seeing a guy like Lidstrom play for Detroit. I'd much rather he be on some other, less detestable team.

• Reply 48 of 107
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    He should be gone until next season, without question.

It's pretty tough though... it's easy to say here that with that kind of injury you should carefully pull Bertuzzi off, THEN pound the shit out of him. In a game that fast I think it's a different story when it actually happens... you see your guy go down with a guy on top, who you think is going to start pumelling Moore, so you get your ass in there and stop it from happening.

I kind of think by the time they hit the ice, Bertuzzi realized the kid was toast, but the other Avs around probably thought the beating was just starting.

From the initial gutless sucker punch to the pileup is maybe 2 seconds, so these guys are just reacting and protecting their guy. Not too much time to evaluate what kind of injury he might have suffered in the time it takes his body to hit the ice.

Anyway, I sure hope he recovers fully, and I hope we don't see Bertuzzi suit up for a long, long time.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Canucks got Rucinsky for Grenier and a 2nd round pick. They also picked up Sergei Varlamov... for some reason they suddenly needed a 200lb+ winger...

I was starting to think they'd be the only team NOT to make a deal.

Ottawa picks up deVries... that strengthens those bastards up nicely.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    All the last minute trades are finally getting through the NHL office and to the press...

The Canucks have picked up Geoff Sanderson from Columbus.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    I'm curious to see where Hill goes. I don't think Lamorillo will be willing to sacrifice much for Hill or Robby Niedermeyer. He probably isn't too concerned with the Devils as a team right now, just hoping Stevens can make it back. There's no way Lamo could replace him even if he wanted to.

What gets me is why these selling teams are willing to get so little for their valued player.s Sure, they're in some cases a burden on the payroll, but dealing all-star calibre players for 4th round draft picks is pretty desperate, and it can't be a good way to manage a team for future success.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

He probably isn't too concerned with the Devils as a team right now, just hoping Stevens can make it back. There's no way Lamo could replace him even if he wanted to.

The loss 4-1 to NJ the other night was worth it just to see Boulerice take Stevens down hard. I love hockey, but guys like Bertuzzi and Stevens just ruin it for me. Yeah, defend your own teammates. But don't be cowards about it, and don't throw your weight around like an ape. Play the damned game, and leave the dirty crap for WWF.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    You're not going to throw Stevens into the "Bertuzzi sucker punch from behind" gang, are ya? Stevens can break people's necks with clean hits... there's a difference.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    *laugh*

The problem is, he's still one of the dirtiest players I've seen. Lifting an opposing player off the ice by wrapping your stick handle under his throat and lifting does *nothing* for the game. (2002 Cup run, vs. Canes. And he's so damned good at avoiding the refs' gazes, he got away with it.)

I'd be perfectly content if Stevens never set foot on ice again.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Uh, Stevens didn't play the other night in Carolina. He hasn't played since early January.

Stevens is something else altogether. He was a hot head early in his career, especially in St. Louis, but he's Mr. cool calm and clean now. He's old school, but he doesn't do any clutch and grab "defense," and he doesn't make sucker punches. He has an insanely low number of penalties or any kind, considering all the "dirty" hits people imagine they see. He has something like 4 elbowing penalties in his entire career, doesn't cross check or rough, and doesn't hook or interfere with a player unless he has to. He never makes mental mistakes. He hits with the force a freight train, but he does it when you come to his blue line, which is fair game IMO. If people want to watch figure skating, they can pay to watch Finnish league games.

Now Darrien Hatcher, aka, Mr. Elbow, that's another story...
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha:

blah blah blah... 2002 Cup run, vs. Canes... blah blah blah

Ahhhhh. Gotcha.

• Reply 57 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Ahhhhh. Gotcha.

Bite me, poutine breath!

Seriously, it bugs me no matter who it's against or from.

Buon: You're absolutely right. It was Stevenson, not Stevens. That'll teach me to listen to the guy next to me when my contacs are fuzzy.

I like a good fight as much as anyone else - up front, in your face, take them down and pummel the crap outta them... okay by me. What I *don't* like is cowardly jabs and hits when the ref is looking the other way. I mean come on, if you're going to be an enforcer, at least have the balls to take the penalty. Otherwise it's just schoolyard crap. When a fight happens, I wanna see a *FIGHT*.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    Just saw the clip and it was a lot worse than I thought. I really thought better of Bertuzzi. From what I understand the kid fought in the first period so that should have been enough. Bertuzzi should be done for the season and the playoffs. From the way Crawford and him ran their mouths after Moore took out Naslund, they could both end up in a heap of trouble, obviously Toddzilla more than Crawford. But them and May were quite vocal about their desire for retribution. I won't be surprised if Bertuzzi is charged with assault.

On a happier note, my mighty Leafs got Ron Francis for fifth round pick and a ham sandwich! Thanks Carolina!

Too bad they didn't get a backup for Belfour. His back better hold out or they're cooked.

And all the trades the Canucks made today just won't matter after what Bertuzzi did. They will quietly bow out in the first round. Too bad. I was hoping for an all Canadian Cup final.

Go Leafs Go!
  • Reply 59 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I won't be surprised if Bertuzzi is charged with assault.

And here's where my bloodlust comes out.

I don't believe that criminal charges are justified in a case like this. I really don't. A professional sports arena is *NOT* a public space, nor a common area, nor a common *environment*. Players are there by choice, they have a completely different set of rules and regulations as to what is acceptable (try hip checking the next pedestrian you see randomly walking down the street), and this should be handled *within the sport*. What happens on the ice stays on the ice. Let the NHL handle this, not the local police. Different rules apply in a sporting event, and the common law of the land is simply not crafted to handle it.

Quote:

On a happier note, my mighty Leafs got Ron Francis for fifth round pick and a ham sandwich! Thanks Carolina!

I think I speak for all Canes fans when I say... Bite. My. Hairy. Ass.

Sad day down here... Francis has been the father figure and heart of this team for a while, and it's sad to see him go. Most people understand *why*, but it's still worth a tear or two.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    I completely agree with you but the way the press is picking up on this with almost all relating it to the McSorely clubbing they just might charge Toddzilla as well.

It'll be interesting to see how the NHL treats a star player in this situation. McSorely was at the end of his career and was not even remotely skilled but Bertuzzi is an all star and invaluable to his team. Wouldn't want to be Colin Campbell right now.