How do you feel about other AO-ites in general?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    I LOVE getting to know people, and I love getting in touch with others who are scattered all over the place, living very different lives from mine. I feel closer to 'the world' since participating in messageboards, and I have made the most incredibly interesting friends over the last few years.

I love these friends, and consider them part of my 'real life'. I may even meet some of them over the next few years. After you get close to someone's mind, you can't help wanting to wrap your arms around them in the most warm and affectionate embrace. At least, that's how I feel. But then, I am a very affectionate person, and I think most people are quite wonderful in their own special ways.

I enjoy AO because I really, really crave being around smart people, and there are so many incredibly bright individuals here. It's a delight to read some of the beautifully-written comments I find at AO on a regular basis. I love the minds behind these thoughts. What greater loveliness is there than the articulate expression of human reason? One mind seeking to communicate with and 'experience' others.

And it's ironic really that this form of technology has done so much to provide practice for our "old-fashioned" writing skills.

I like lots of the people here, but some are more outgoing, engaging and easier to get to know than others. I come here for fun and for interesting conversation. So when people attack me, it's hurts my feelings a lot, because I don't think I initiate attacks on others.

Five people ganged up on me in the astrology thread, for example. I exchanged views with the first two, but ran out of energy when three more piled on. It was too much adversity regarding something that to me is just a fun interest. I don't come here to exhaust my energies defending myself against attack on thread after thread, and that's what seemed to be happening. After the astrology thread, I left for two weeks, because I felt like I had been spending WAY too much time on boards, and wasn't having much fun in the bargain.

I used to post on another board quite a bit, but for some reason I have lost interest in many of those people. The individuals at AO are SO smart, and they are 99% guys. Not just guys, but guys that like to communicate ! heh. What an ideal place. And I do SO love eavesdropping on 'guy talk' - it's such fun!
  • Reply 42 of 127
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Women are too sensitive.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Whoo-hoo! Wimmin! *hic*
  • Reply 44 of 127
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

And it's ironic really that this form of technology has done so much to provide practice for our "old-fashioned" writing skills.

y43h t0t4a11y i 4m t3h gr8!

• Reply 45 of 127
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

y43h t0t4a11y i 4m t3h gr8!

ur teh scuk
  • Reply 46 of 127
    Bring on the shtrippersh!

Whooooooooooo*thud*
  • Reply 47 of 127
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    If my memory serves me correctly (ooh! I sound like the guy from Iron Chef) it was Chris Bailey from The Saints who wrote the lines

Here I am in a psychopathic world

Trying to avoid disaster

Chester agrees with Chris.

But to be more specific, let's see....hmmmmm....

I like all the Australians because well you know, they're Australian so I like them on principle.

Oh OK, I like all the Kiwis on principle as well (grudgingly).

I like the g 'cause he's a swell guy.

I like Hassan because I always agree with him which is fantastic because it saves me the bother of posting.

I like the Europeans because they're European.

I like billybobsky becasue he's a maquettologist with a conscience.

I like Giaguara because she's a woman AND Italian which simply has to be the best of both worlds. God, she's European as well. Giaguara I may be in love with you.

I like Carol 'cause she's a woman and a total nutcase.

I like Nebulous 'cause she's a woman and.....oh hell, I just like all the women on principle as well OK?

I like anybody who's funny even if they don't realise it (funny being defined by what I find funny not what you find funny).

I like (and miss) pscates even tho' he doesn't come to AO because he always seems so genuine (which could be a complete misconception and he may be off axe-murdering someone this very minute for all I know).

I like Kickaha for giving me the phrase "widdle robot" because it's just so cute and I shall completely Elmer Fuddify it and henceforth refer to Wrong Robot as "widdle wobot".

I like widdle wobot because I know he'll put up with me calling him widdle wobot.

That's about it I think. If you're not one of those people or you don't fall into one of those categories, chances are I don't like you.

Bad luck. Can't win 'em all.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    ShawnJ, you may think I'm close-minded against Bush-bashing threads, but if you look at the whole of political subject-matter here, a vast majority of these threads have to do with putting Bush down. If there was a bit more even distribution of political idealism, it wouldn't be a big deal, but the sheer volume of Republican/conservative/Bush-bashing threads is too much.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by lazylester

I like widdle wobot because I know he'll put up with me calling him widdle wobot.

• Reply 50 of 127
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

I like Carol 'cause she's a woman and a total nutcase.

Chester - do you really think I'm a nutcase?

Because I like astrology, or because of something else?

Sniff, sob.....
  • Reply 51 of 127
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    He's just jealous because you said you wanted to have sex with me, not him.

• Reply 52 of 127
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Sniff, sob.....

Who is this so called 'crazychester' guy anyway?
  • Reply 53 of 127
    *yawn* Hey, what'd I miss?

murbot, I don't recall anything being said about *sex*... I assumed she meant she wanted you with a side dish of fava beans and a nice chianti.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*yawn* Hey, what'd I miss?

murbot, I don't recall anything being said about *sex*... I assumed she meant she wanted you with a side dish of fava beans and a nice chianti.

Only if he pay the bill
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Very interesting.

Wrong Robot, there I was thinking you had a halfway decent sense of humour. Wrong again. My, but the disappointments are coming thick and fast these days.

Quote:

Sniff, sob.....

Carol, no I don't really think you're a nutcase. Well yes I do but I mean that in the nicest way. Nutcases are good. I didn't read the astrology thread. But if I had and witnessed you being ganged up on, I would almost certainly have felt the need to jump in and defend you.

This needing to be thick skinned business is all very well - up to a point. The fact that whatever stupidity was thrust upon you in that thread resulted in you staying away, heaps more disappointment on my already rather large pile of disappointment.

It's times like that you need to remind yourself of the old saying "opinions are like a**holes - everybody's got one."

And Giaguara, before I freak you out (altho' I think that's unlikely) and do any more damage, I'm not gay and I'm not in love with you (well OK maybe just a little bit but hey, isn't everybody ).
  • Reply 56 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by stacyfester

Wrong Robot, there I was thinking you had a halfway decent sense of humour. Wrong again. My, but the disappointments are coming thick and fast these days.

eh?

do I know you?
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by widdle wobot

eh?

do I know you?

Thanks wobot. I'm feeling a little thin skinned myself at the moment. If you'd let me down it probably would have been more than this koala could bear.

Stacy
  • Reply 58 of 127
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Crazychester, if you really loved Giaguara, you will have a better knowledge of here biography.

Let just say that she do not come from Italia and she love many apple related products
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Crazychester, if you really loved Giaguara, you will have a better knowledge of here biography.

Let just say that she do not come from Italia and she love many apple related products

What?! She doesn't even speak Italian?

Right that's it Giaguara. The wedding's off. Pity. San Francisco's my second favorite city - after Rome, of course.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    is it me or is there some back story behind chester and robot?