MacOS X 10.4: Guess the Name

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

WWDC is well over 2 months away... but that shouldnt stop us to speculate and guess.

So, as we all know, OS X is a Big Cat OS. Just to recap, we got:

OS X 10.0 = Cheetah

OS X 10.1 = Puma

OS X 10.2 = Jaguar (or Jagwire, depending on quantity of LSD you had in your youth)

OS X 10.3 = Panther

Names of cats still "available":

"big" cats: Cougar, Leopard, Lion, Tiger

"smaller" cats: Lynx, Tomcat, Tabby Cat... etc

"other" cats: Hobbes, Garfield, Heathcliff, Bill the Cat (rock on),

I vaguely remember that one tpe of cat is similar (or identical) to the other, but have a different name.

So... whos guessing? Winner gets free beer (or other) in Paris

I propose:

MacOS X 10.4 Fat Cat (iLife 0wn§ j00)

Cougar...i gar-ron-tueeee!
  • Reply 82 of 116
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm truly thinking Lynx. Fits in with teh Unix theme, as well as Apple's "Connectivity".
  • Reply 83 of 116
    I really should have bought that book, "Apple Confidential 2.0" by Owen Linzmayer. It was just published about a week or two ago and as I was flipping through the book at Barnes and Noble, there was a page with all the codenames of all the builds of their operating systems, interestingly enough, I distinctly remember seeing the codename for 10.4 in it. If anyone is at all interested in a very up-to-date history of Apple, including the iPod Mini and G5, you can pick it up at Amazon for $13.97, just thumbing through it was trip down memory lane.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gott der Maschine

I really should have bought that book, "Apple Confidential 2.0" by Owen Linzmayer. It was just published about a week or two ago and as I was flipping through the book at Barnes and Noble, there was a page with all the codenames of all the builds of their operating systems, interestingly enough, I distinctly remember seeing the codename for 10.4 in it. If anyone is at all interested in a very up-to-date history of Apple, including the iPod Mini and G5, you can pick it up at Amazon for $13.97, just thumbing through it was trip down memory lane.

SWEET!! Great find Gott! $13?! That's something even I can afford. lol
  • Reply 85 of 116
    Quote:

hmmm i just bought a load of books for my schoolig... but i will have to get back to that soon like tomarrow?when i'm at the store thanks
  • Reply 86 of 116
    Here's the links for both Barnes and Noble and Amazon, so loyal B&N and Amazon shoppers alike can get it.

B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...93270100&itm=1

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The prices are $13.96 and $13.97 repectively, happy shopping!
  • Reply 87 of 116
    Quote:

Here's the links for both Barnes and Noble and Amazon, so loyal B&N and Amazon shoppers alike can get it.

B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...93270100&itm=1

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The prices are $13.96 and $13.97 repectively, happy shopping!

thanks...much appreciated
  • Reply 88 of 116
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Cougar is the only big cat name left that "sounds cool", ...

well, maybe "Cougar" sounds cool in your language. but in my language (and i guess in most other languages.), it looks, feels and sounds a bit ... er ... awkward.

and, on a sidenote, apple should not copycat that microsoft year counting scheme. No Macos X 04, no no no!!!

best
  • Reply 89 of 116
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    MACOSRUMORS is calling 10.4 'Merlot'. WTF! Why have they changed to Wine?

Quote 'Delivering on another one of Steve's promises: Jobs has on a couple of occasions stated his intentions to position Mac OS X as the fastest and best platform overall for deploying Java applications. Panther advanced this cause, but Merlot will 'seal the deal' with many improvements including extensive G5 optimization of 10.4's Java layer' End Quote

http://www.macosrumors.com/32804E.html

Is this just MACOSRUMORS in usual for or could it be true?

Dobby.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    IIRC, 10.3 was originally rumored to be called "Pinot," and we later learned it would be called Panther. It was also supposed to have "piles," whatever those are.

Yes, Mac OS Rumors is just making stuff up for fun. They do that often. Don't take them too seriously.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Dobby.

10.5 Thunderbird

10.6 Pink Elephant

I always knew Apple was an addiction. I believe Macosrumors has already jumped to seeing pink elephants.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i say it'll be tiger, and i think the name is fine.

macrumors has seemingly confirmed it will be tiger. who said it would be tiger earlier in this thread? thats right--me. (along with a bunch of other people, but still, i guessed correctly)
  • Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Quote 'Delivering on another one of Steve's promises: Jobs has on a couple of occasions stated his intentions to position Mac OS X as the fastest and best platform overall for deploying Java applications. Panther advanced this cause, but Merlot will 'seal the deal' with many improvements including extensive G5 optimization of 10.4's Java layer' End Quote

http://www.macosrumors.com/32804E.html

Dobby.

ugh oh my god dobby that would be awful... just keep with the cat theme... maybe even "OS X.4 Chesire"

sorry about the spelling but you know...like chesire cat from alice in wonderland!!!
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Quote:

heeh i went to my local bookstore tonite and ordered it. it should be here on thursday night... i'll scan throu it and try to find 10.4 name for ya'll
  • Reply 95 of 116
    Macrumors is calling it TIGER, codename: MERLOT

wheee. so who won?
  • Reply 96 of 116
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

well, maybe "Cougar" sounds cool in your language. but in my opinion..........it looks, feels and sounds a bit ... er ... awkward.

Fixed that for you. Doesn't feel in the least bit awkward to me.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Tiger? Wow, just read the MacRumors.com update. Tiger...

Why yes...so obvious! A good ol' tiger. Like Hobbes!

Lots of good marketing potential/angles with that too. That is, of course, if Apple engaged in marketing.

Okay, first it was blue gel. Then Jaguar, and spotted fur. So we all said "cool...Panther will be black fur, right?". No, it was brushed metal. WTF?

So does ANYONE want to go out on a limb (umm, like a tiger might do) and try to predict what the look/theme of 10.4 Tiger will be?

Too easy to just assume it'll be a furry orange and black-striped "X", although...

We zig, Apple zags. Who knows...they might just stick Tigger on the box and call it a day.
  • Reply 98 of 116
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Alright, now that we know the cat's name, let's see some cat fight , or even better, cat vs. bull .
  • Reply 99 of 116
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Pscates, I was thinking about that. I think Apple's method of determining what to put on the package is based on what the Mac community dislikes at the time. In 10.0 and 10.1, people were still getting used to OS X, and many still preferred OS 9. So, they made the logo look like the Aqua interface that everyone was afraid of. Then, Jaguar. People thought it was silly to go around calling the OS by its code name in public, so Apple markets the code name and makes a cheesy spotted fur box. Then Panther. The Mac community was often talking about how Apple violated their own HIG's by putting brushed metal EVERYWHERE. So what do they do? They put brushed metal right on the package.

So what are people complaining about now? There's always a lot of stuff that people complain about in the Mac community. Here are a few:

1. Nonexistent hardware updates

2. G5s only in PowerMacs, G4s everywhere else

3. No attempt at an office suite to compete with MS

4. Battery problems everywhere with laptops

5. Forcing the user to pay for things like OS X, iLife, and .Mac.

So, what could you make of this? Well, maybe they could use the MS Excel "X" logo for the package, to prove that we are really in it for the long haul with MS Office. Or there would be a big magnified battery indicator with an X in it, showing that your battery was just destroyed by the latest OS X update. Maybe a couple of crossed $ signs to make an X shape, signifying that you have to spend money constantly to stay up to date. Or maybe make the box look like a copy of the Windows XP box - blue, with a transparent large X in the background, and "macintosh os x" written in the middle. All lower-case, of course.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Why, I think you're onto something!