One of those girls...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Basically, show her the respect and decency you would anyone else you care for... but show her that you care for yourself by respecting your own self and you own ideals as well.

Ain't that just *easy*?
  • Reply 102 of 106
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    All of this care and respect stuff is getting kind of peachy.

Keep it simple.

Act normal, buy flowers, then act normal some more. If it doesn't work, it wasn't meant to work.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

All of this care and respect stuff is getting kind of peachy.

Keen, too!
  • Reply 104 of 106
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Great thread.

I was always terrible at the dating thing until, in my twenties, I just learned that you just have to ask the girl out. (I was a Zero in high school.) Sometimes it worked - sometimes it didn't - but I learned not to care too much if it didn't. That might sound callous, but its not. When you first ask a girl out its not as if you have put your whole heart on the line - it's just a date.

Of course, breaking up after going out for a while is another matter.

Another matter again, for some, is meeting the person who you fall in love with and spend, hopefully, the rest of your life with. When I met my wife, it was not really a matter of asking her out for a date. It was not a matter of how long I was going to date her and whether we were going to stay together for a while and then break up and leave each other heartbroken. Instead, when I met her, we talked for a few seconds and she got it - and I got it - and I never dated anyone else again. We were married within 18 months and now have three kids.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Just like that?
  • Reply 106 of 106
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Just like that?

Looking back on my post, it could look like I said we had 3 kids in 18 months. (I guess that would require twins, which we don't have.) What I meant to say was that we were married within 18 months of meeting. Thinking of it, it was well within 18 months - it was 13 months, to be exact. (I'm cheating a bit with respect to "meeting", because we actually had met once before, years earlier, had had the same reaction to each other, but had not been in a position to act on it.)

The kids came more gradually...