Hamas's Spiritual Leader / Founder Killed.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hamas's Spiritual leader has been killed in a rocket attack launched by israeli forces.

According to Google News. Sheik Ahmed Yassin was leaving a meeting with other Hamas leaders when his car was blown up.

The Israelis threatened to do this some months ago..

And now they have.

I fear to guess what comes next.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 205
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Repercussions blah blah blah

It's about time.
  • Reply 2 of 205
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I agree . . .

but it also will probably be followed up by something 'spectacular' . . .
  • Reply 3 of 205
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Blunt force stuff....pretty ugly.

But then he was the founder of a terrorist organization.
  • Reply 4 of 205
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Ps:

Sorry that I didn't post any links, but I am sure the internet is filling up with plenty of news-sites carrying the news.
  • Reply 5 of 205
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Well, well, or maybe, Hell, hell...

Things are certainly gonna blow up now...

In assasinating political/spiritual leaders like this, israel is putting itself on the same level as hamas. And there is only one kind of response to be expected. And it will be huge...

Its hard not to wonder if Sharon, who personally ordered this attack, is more comfortable with a high tension conflict.

BBC link
  • Reply 6 of 205
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
  • Reply 7 of 205
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Repercussions blah blah blah

It's about time.

To paraphrase:

More dead Israelis then would otherwise be the case = blah blah blah.
  • Reply 8 of 205
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If you're fighting a war against terror why would you tie your own hands and not go after the lead. Notice I left "spiritual" off the front of "leader".
  • Reply 9 of 205
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will not cry because this man is dead. Hamas is a well known terrorist org (unfortunately not for the arab world)

Sharon decided himself to kill the Hamas laeder. Some of the ministers of his coalition disagreed with that (minister of the police and defense). The chief of police also. They disagree not because, they care for that man, but they are effraid of the consequences.

Sharon himself only take this decision now, after some years of Israel leadership. It could have done it sooner. Pazner said that without Hassin, the Hamas will be headless and disoriented. Let's hope it's true, or we should have many more deaths in the next coming days.
  • Reply 10 of 205
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    A helicopter missile attack on a paraplegic cleric in a wheelchair. Nasty. Imagine if you will what the repercussions were if the Pope had been air striked...

Bush Inc. are saying they had no knowledge of this attack, before or after. And many in Washington are condemning the attack.

Israel is in deep shit. Hell, we all are.

• Reply 11 of 205
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I understand why they targeted this guy (same reason we target Bin Laden) but they could've done it in a more discreet way. Firing a rocket into this guy's wheelchair as he leaves a mosque was not the brightest of ideas. Typical Sharon grandstanding BS. He is just worthless IMO. One thing to be hawkish, quite another to totally disregard the people and customs which you seek to defeat.

Either way, we're now going to find out what happens in the "WOT" when you whack one of their spiritual leaders in a public space. If you think there will be fewer bus bombs, or exploding cafes, give it a month....

That was the one good thing about taking Hussein into custody and showing him be attended to by a doctor; you don't make a martyr out of the guy, and the followers don't really know what's happening to him. Not that Israel is known for taking high-profile Palestinian captives (vs. their henchmen), but if we find Bin Laden, better to take him captive than show him dead on TV.

PS - Scott you should run for Prime Minister of Israel; you'd be a big hit.
  • Reply 12 of 205
    This might be part of a larger israeli plan to withdraw from Gaza. It's been talked about for a while in certain circles. Apparently the deal is that Israel has to leave gaza in so much chaos, (including tearing down every single settlement construction), when leaving. So that Hamas and Jihad can't claim victory for the retreat. (like hezbollah did in south lebanon).

And it's totally crazy of course...
  • Reply 13 of 205
    The governments of France and Great Britain certainly think so... Germany is waffling of course. Impossible for them to criticize Israel in any way shape or form, for obvious reasons. Poltically incorrect and all that...
  • Reply 14 of 205
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

That was the one good thing about taking Hussein into custody and showing him be attended to by a doctor; you don't make a martyr out of the guy, and the followers don't really know what's happening to him. Not that Israel is known for taking high-profile Palestinian captives (vs. their henchmen), but if we find Bin Laden, better to take him captive than show him dead on TV.

It's my understanding that he was captured years ago and imprisoned, but was released as part of a previous cease fire agreement.
  • Reply 15 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

It's my understanding that he was captured years ago and imprisoned, but was released as part of a previous cease fire agreement.

he was released in an exchange whit Jordan. Where Jordan released two israeli agents they caught plotting an assatination on hamas leaders.
  • Reply 16 of 205
    Regarding his previous imprisonment:

That is a surprise to me. I have always had the impression that the people held in Israeli prisons were more or less those who carry out the attacks, rather than the "criminal masterminds". If they wanted to kill the bastard, why let him go? Use some other bargaining chip; I'm sure they had plenty to go around.
  • Reply 17 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Apparently the skull and crossbones motif is an ancient Islamic one derived from the Knights Templar who themselves were reputed to be followers of the Assassin cult of Hasan i Sabah (not our Hasan either).

Coincidence ? I think not.....

Of course we know there are no coincidences, don't we.
  • Reply 18 of 205
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Of course we know there are no coincidences, don't we.

322?

. . . do tell . .

I used to be hip to the various conspiracies flaoting around but this little emblem escapes me . . . is it the Yale frat?

and what is 322?

Baphomet is a bastardization of Mahomet and was made into the devil by the persecuters of the Templars . . . they were said to have worshipped Baphomet

Of course what they (the Templars) probably did find, in their time protecting pilgrims and on the Crusades, was that denomination in religion is idiotic . . .

which, for Europe at that time, was of course EVILness itself . . .

many Masonic (and like groups) rituals are based on the persecution of the Templars . . . re-enactments . . as far as I know . . .
  • Reply 19 of 205
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

322?

. . . do tell . .

I used to be hip to the various conspiracies flaoting around but this little emblem escapes me . . . is it the Yale frat?

and what is 322?

Of course March 22nd would be entirely too easy.
  • Reply 20 of 205
    How do we know he is really dead? Missiles dont exactly leave much in terms of identifiable remains. If I were him and somehow survived the attack, I'd make it seem like I'm dead to rally my cause and demonize the opposing side.