Hamas's Spiritual Leader / Founder Killed.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 205
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

To paraphrase:

More dead Israelis then would otherwise be the case = blah blah blah.

That would imply there was an end to violence in sight.

As I see it, a dozen dead Israelis a month from now until forever is about equal to two dozen dead Israelis a month from now until forever.

Considering the last passenger bus suicide bombing was a month ago, I really don't think either side was going to kiss an make-up anytime soon.
  • Reply 22 of 205
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Hamas threaten to strike USA. This is bad news.
  • Reply 23 of 205
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That would imply there was an end to violence in sight.

As I see it, a dozen dead Israelis a month from now until forever is about equal to two dozen dead Israelis a month from now until forever.

Considering the last passenger bus suicide bombing was a month ago, I really don't think either side was going to kiss an make-up anytime soon.

yeah, uh-uhm, ethnic groups killing each other is like a law of nature... certainly has nothing to do with politics at all...
  • Reply 24 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

yeah, uh-uhm, ethnic groups killing each other is like a law of nature... certainly has nothing to do with politics at all...

Not a law of nature, but so far beyond resolution that infinity seems less exaggerated than it should.
  • Reply 25 of 205
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Linkage?
  • Reply 26 of 205
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Linkage?

Mentioned in this (most of the way down), for example.
  • Reply 27 of 205
    Here's a nice little excerpt from the Chicago Tribune. Mirrors my opinion of the Israeli mentality and their actions pretty well...

Quote:

"The Israeli air force this morning killed the mastermind of all evil (emphasis mine), Ahmed Yassin, who was a preacher of death," said army spokeswoman Brig. Gen. Ruth Yaron.

The Yassin assassination was seen as an enormous gamble by Sharon, who is trying to score a decisive victory against Hamas ahead of a possible Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, but risks triggering a dramatic escalation in bloodshed that could turn the public's mood in Israel against him.

Sharon's critics in Israel warned that the Yassin killing could be seen as an attack by Israel on Islam and unnecessarily widen the circle of conflict.

It's all about one-upmanship with Sharon. It always has been. "Yes, we'll make concessions, but not before we kill a few more of your people..."

Sad....

Chinney:

All I could get from your link was this

Quote:

A statement from Hamas also made the group's first ever threat against the United States, which it said made the assassination possible by its support for Israel.

"All the Muslims of the world will be honoured to join in on the retaliation for this crime," the statement said.

I don't really see a quoted threat there, but more of a broad interpretation. Seems like if the Hamas guy said "we're going to kill Americans everywhere" or something like that, that is the first thing that CBC or anyone else would quote... no?
  • Reply 28 of 205
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I heared this info on the radio.
  • Reply 29 of 205
    OK. Wasn't necessarily saying there was no threat, just that I didn't make any out from the CBC article. Either way the whole thing is bad news when you look at the big picture... maybe one day soon the citizens of Israel will realize Sharon is one of their biggest enemies. Hopefully a reasonable man will have that post sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 30 of 205
    I know the Israeli cheer-leaders here will come up with some weird and wonderful reasoning but...

If this guy was a terrorist mastermind, (and let's forget the fact that they had him imprisonmed for a moment) why not just arrest him, put him on trial- expose his attrocities for what they are and then punish him?

Apparantly Israel doesn't give a damn about world opinion or seeking support during their troubles but can there be a good reason not to take the high ground? Why not act civilised, show their detractors that the fight against terorists is a real one, that their cause is unjust and that the Palestinans have alternative, legitimate means to address their grievances.

Although...an old man in a wheelchair would be a serious challenge to arrest!
  • Reply 31 of 205
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Is this really much different than before though?

---

"the more extreme extremists?" I can tolerate the more moderate extremists, it's the radicals extremists that are the problem. j/k

___

It's probably not going to help in the big picture politically or in terms of the amount of violence. But I can't say I shed a tear. Mind you, I wouldn't shed a tear for Sharon either.
  • Reply 32 of 205
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

How do we know he is really dead? Missiles dont exactly leave much in terms of identifiable remains. If I were him and somehow survived the attack, I'd make it seem like I'm dead to rally my cause and demonize the opposing side.

NPR said this morning the only identifiable thing left was his head.
  • Reply 33 of 205
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well I think this was a good thing, but consequences are a bitch.

Why can't an assassination be quiet? Why would you use a helicopter to kill someone when ya could use a sniper? It's not like the guy was on the run in the desert, they know where he is. Shouldn't this be done under the due process of law, it would at least give some legitimacy to this.
  • Reply 34 of 205
    Well an assasination will never technically be "legal" under international laws, but you are certainly correct that Sharon picked a lousy means to achieve this particular end. Missile literally hits guy in wheelchair outside mosque.

Brilliant.
  • Reply 35 of 205
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    (i keep mis-reading the title of this thread as Hamas's Spiritual Leader Found; Killed)
  • Reply 36 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

If this guy was a terrorist mastermind, (and let's forget the fact that they had him imprisonmed for a moment) why not just arrest him, put him on trial- expose his attrocities for what they are and then punish him?

I think the basic reasoning is that being the head of Hamas is atrocious enough. Sure, he looked about to croak anyway, but that's probably part of the reasoning for getting him now. Israel probably wants the world and namely the US to refocus its attention on their corner of the Middle East rather than Iraq. What better way than to goad terrorist groups into planning something big...really big.

Time to train some more Greek security forces.
  • Reply 37 of 205
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Why don't we just transfer the troops in Iraq to Greece, you know call it R and R while armed...
  • Reply 38 of 205
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Will it be OK to respond by assassinating Sharon? Supporting assassinations is about the most anti-American activity you can support. It just proves how out of touch with America and the Constitution the right wing really is.
  • Reply 39 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Will it be OK to respond by assassinating Sharon? Supporting assassinations is about the most anti-American activity you can support. It just proves how out of touch with America and the Constitution the right wing really is.

I thought we were talking about Israel.
  • Reply 40 of 205
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It's an act of war. No different than killing Hitler.