The new Ibook (3D Mockup and Specs)

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    Great job!!! zip and pscates should start a studio togethe!!!

One thing what are the specs. and is it widescreen? sumit this

design to apple!!!!!!
  • Reply 102 of 109
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Psssh. . . Illustrator. . . *wimp*

What you've come up with is a more practical/actually possible version of the original image. I like it. . . Plus, I'll be able to get a pink iBook to match my pink iPod.

Edit:

Nice 3D render JimZip. But subdivisions? So eighties. Hop on the spline bandwagon. . .

I like to think different.

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hmm, I would say he works already for Apple, simply this is a safe way to leak information about upcoming iBook updates without breaking its NDA .

Damn! Caught red handed. I'll be fired for sure now!!

>Sigh< I wish. (That I worked for Apple, not that I'd be fired! )

Wow! Look at all the posts since I went to bed last night! I guess you guys are technically awake while I'm asleep though.. Damn time zones..

While you're waiting for other stuff, here's some food for thought..

Please note that the iBook is actually now pure white.. I'm working on it.

Jimzip
  • Reply 103 of 109
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Very nice effort boys. I could see this one happening.

Two things bother me though (but it's getting technical so bare with me).

1: The hinging of the lid would probably spoil the seemlessness of the enclosure. It could be solved by having the bottom part of the screen be a cylinder which simply rotates into a slit on the underside of the book where it wouldn't really be seen but still.

2: The sides of the enclosure would also disturb somewhat. The really cool thing about the iPod Mini is the extruded aluminium enclosure with a "plug" at each end. This would also be difficult to adapt litterally to a notebook since it has to split for the screen to open. To carry it through to its ultimate formal conclusion it would need to have a raised "wing" to each side of the keyboard (impractical) or the sides would have to be attached to the screen (not nice).

However, I have to applaud your efforts and the idea is really Apple-like in its simplicity and cleanness. Nice to see the mock-uppers at work again.

Kroehl.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl Very nice effort boys. I could see this one happening.

1: The hinging of the lid would probably spoil the seemlessness of the enclosure. It could be solved by having the bottom part of the screen be a cylinder which simply rotates into a slit on the underside of the book where it wouldn't really be seen but still.

Yeah, actually that was my original intention. I was thinking of a paper towel roll, folding over on itself.

That's what that circle on my Illustrator drawings represented, even though they might not be necessary. But a cylindrical "pivot" or roll-back type of opening was indeed my initial idea. On one of my earlier mockups (on page 2, I think), you'll see a little drawing from the side of the lid opened in various stages. I did that by making the origin point of the rotation smack-dab in the center of that circle.

I do believe that design could somehow be done and I've thought about it. It would involve a bit of a cut-out relief on the buttom maybe, but also some inset clearance where the thing could open and close smoothly and not scoot the iBook around.

As for your "2" item, I thought about that. The only way to go - since it IS a laptop and has to open! - is some sort of split. I did an earlier drawing where I did indeed have the lid simply lift up and open and the entire side panel (that "hot dog" shape) stayed put, kinda boxing in the keyboard area. That bugged me to no end! Depending on the size of one's hand and how they typed, they'd be hitting that lip constantly. I figured that would just be something people would bitch about and rightly call me on, so I quickly decided against it.

If this thing stayed closed, like an iPod mini, sure. But it opens and there's no choice but to split it. On my very first drawing I did over a week ago, I had it split at exactly the halfway point. While geometrically pleasing, it resulted in an unrealistic - and unattractive - design: the bottom half couldn't have held all the "guts" and ports required AND the panel holding the display would've been horribly thick and bulky. So I came down a quarter inch or so, letting the display panel thickness equal today's iBook and the body being .875" thick, as opposed to just over half an inch.

The overall dimension, when closed, of my design is 1.125". But I'm not an engineer or hardware whiz, so that's hardly carved in stone. Maybe being a longer, slimmer body (due to the widescreen), components could be configured and installed in such a way to lose a tad of thickness? As it stands, the iBook above is roughly as thick as today's iBook. Which, I think, is fine.

It's realistic and I don't hear anyone screaming for an ultra-thin consumer thing. That seems like some sort of luxury feature that is more suited to a PowerBook OR a true, designed-from-the-ground-up ultra-portable or "mini" laptop.

I didn't want to wade too deeply into "fantasy waters", you know? Mechanically and technologically speaking, I don't think there's anything that would keep the above design from being possible or economically feasible. I'm WAY more interested in designing (and viewing those of others) product mockups that could actually exist given the day's technology and capabilities, and have some footing in practical, real life.

In other words, for better or worse, you'll probably never see "Minority Report"-inspired holographic screens and spherical body shapes from me.

Sure, I can draw a quarter-inch thick iBook with a 19" 6:9 screen and built-in touchpad and a fold-out vegetable cutting board...but what's the fun in that? I may as well draw a 3GHz G5, if we're talking about fantasy gear.

• Reply 105 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, actually that was my original intention. I was thinking of a paper towel roll, folding over on itself.

Sure, I can draw a quarter-inch thick iBook with a 19" 6:9 screen and built-in touchpad and a fold-out vegetable cutting board...but what's the fun in that? I may as well draw a 3GHz G5, if we're talking about fantasy gear.

Point duely noted ;-)

My idea was just to push the "Future" idea further with unfeasible designs.

I wasn't thinking about "Near Future Hardware".

But your design idea and JimZip's execution are brilliant.

I wasn't seeing the concept as it were and it turns out that beautiful.

I think what really is great is the feasibility of it and the almost natural design evolution for the ibook, IF we take the Ipod mini as the reference.

I am waiting for the white one :-)
  • Reply 106 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ha...I wasn't even thinking about or referring to you. I'm talking in general and overall. I see some wild-ass mockups around the Internet and, while they look cool and amazing and I can totally dig them on a design/artistic level, if they're TOO far out and unlikely they don't hold my interest as much as others I see that actually look like it might be released tomorrow.

That's all. I wasn't even thinking about you or anyone here, actually, when I said that.

The big talk in laptops seems to be "smaller, thinner, lighter, etc." and I don't know how far I can go before it drops from the realm of reality. I'd rather not push it, not being an engineer or true tech-head, you know?

I'd LOVE a half-inch thick, 3lb. laptop that was as powerful and full-featured as my PowerBook. I just don't know if things are there yet.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I guess I didn't notice until now, but the only thing I'd change is to move the vent holes to the back and the ports/DVD to the front. Just for cooling's sake.

I do dig the work though. Don't get me wrong. If I were to make a mockup, I'm sure I would have been too lazy to map all the keyboard letters on there. . . As they say, it's all in the details.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Cheers to you both....again and again!! The colors and simplicity and "welcoming" appearance are pure iBOOK-ness!!

I do see a role for a 10" version widescreen iBook. It would take the idea of the ones Zo shows above, but makes the wrist area smaller and the bezel more Apple-like.

I hope Apple really IS thinking this way for next gen iBooks and hopefully your mockups won't scare them into doing something else.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I guess I didn't notice until now, but the only thing I'd change is to move the vent holes to the back and the ports/DVD to the front. Just for cooling's sake.

I do dig the work though. Don't get me wrong. If I were to make a mockup, I'm sure I would have been too lazy to map all the keyboard letters on there. . . As they say, it's all in the details.

I really hope you mean the back of the sides WRT the ports. Having ports and DVD on the actual front of the computer would be a catastrophe. I'd sometimes prefer the ports on my iBook G4 to be at the back of the computer but most of the times I find the side to be optimal because it is mostly being moved around. Plugging things into the side is a lot easier in these hot-pluggable times we live in.

Ai'nt mapping kewl tho?