Spymac flooded by Chinese

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
if you don't keep up with spymac, i suggest you check out what's been happening in the past few days. The subscription rate skyrocketed past 100,000 when they offered 1 GB free webmail, but apparently a large percentage of these new subscribers are Chinese who don't speak english. They have started flooding the forums with Chinese, and not even talking about subject matter related to the forum topic.

We could be witnessing the beginning of a cultural phenomenon.

Personally, if this stuff doesn't tone down drastically soon, i'm going to stop visiting spymac forums. Its really too bad because those were some of the best, most active forums i've seen for the mac-web.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

...i'm going to stop visiting spymac forums. Its really too bad because those were some of the best, most active forums i've seen for the mac-web.

Really?! that's a bit of a shocker.....

Anyway, you got something against Chinese? Maybe they're sharing recipes... mmmmmmm... I love chinese.

edit: i can't spell
  • Reply 2 of 84
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    wow, and here i was thinking spymac forums were actually the worst and most bereft of any intelligent discussion about anything whatsoever.

gosh, i've been missing out on so much...

(p.s. wonder how many of those new registries will become spammers...)
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

if you don't keep up with spymac, i suggest you check out what's been happening in the past few days. The subscription rate skyrocketed past 100,000 when they offered 1 GB free webmail, but apparently a large percentage of these new subscribers are Chinese who don't speak english. They have started flooding the forums with Chinese, and not even talking about subject matter related to the forum topic.

We could be witnessing the beginning of a cultural phenomenon.

Personally, if this stuff doesn't tone down drastically soon, i'm going to stop visiting spymac forums. Its really too bad because those were some of the best, most active forums i've seen for the mac-web.

I am Chinese. You have something to say about China?
  • Reply 4 of 84
    You fvckers,

Do you not realise that Chinese mac users have no other place to talk about macs?

Do you realise the mac user percentage is around 0.2%?

Do you realise what a huge potential mac market China holds?

I suggest you live with it.

Who is to say that Spymac is only for you elitist Americans? Other races should go fvck off?

I find your statement against China very offensive.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    I am annoyed by the fact that America, supposedly the land where all races are tolerated, are not. I am so surprised by how racist or ratially partial people are here.

Before even getting to know me, they treat us as underdogs.

We are in no way inferior to you.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    So what you're saying that spymac cannot be shared by different races with different languages?

I'm sure you think that Chinese people should be driven out of the US altogether.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Chill out, steve, you being really hypersensitive.

The issue is the language barrier, nothing more. If people start posting to a predominantly English-reading forum in another language and (?) making impertinent posts (how one can tell both is beyond me ), it's a little uncouth, don't you think?
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Well, I believe they have there's a forum in Spymac that's specifically for Chinese speakers.

You see, it's impossible to start a community for only chinese mac users cause there are so little of them. They have no choice but to come here.

Now what I would propose is that we have the Chinese users post a chinese and english version of their posts. If they can get onto spymac, they know a little english. Eihter way they can use the sherlock translation feature.

A lot of Chinese people are ashamed of their bad English especially in an all english used community. They are afraid that their bad english will be laughed at by others.

I think it would be much more constructive if there was more communication with the Chinese people on spymac. Especially hearing why they choose mac in a place where windows dominates 99.8%

But I don't understand your thread man. Are you proposing the Chinese should be kicked out?

Where is West Point?
  • Reply 9 of 84
    Me did an internet search.

USMA= US Millitary Academy at West point.

Ok... I can see where you're coming from...

What do they teach you there? Chinese=scum of the earth?
  • Reply 10 of 84
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    The thing that I do not understand is why you needed to post four separate posts, with only a few minutes between each.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    BuonRotto: Steve has every right to get mad, he has been treated like shit his entire time here on AI. Don't even try to tell me that Americans don't look down on every other nation either, because the majority of us do. This needs to stop. It really does. The world is getting smaller by the day and Americans are going to have to get over themselves if they expect to last in it.

Regardless, Steve America is a big place and not everyone in it has their heads up their asses either, Just remember there are a few of us Americans who happen to appreciate other cultures, and are not so egocentric. I also find it hard to believe in all the land that is China not one of them thinks China is better than all...

Back on topic, This does not surprise me at all, China holds the worlds largest population, BuonRotto has it right, its all a language barrier. With the world getting smaller and smaller every day because of the internet its giving more and more reason to become bilingual, I think its great that cultures can mesh like this, Even if there is an inferiority complex here and there.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

The thing that I do not understand is why you needed to post four separate posts, with only a few minutes between each.

Does it matter? Does that stop him from having a valid point? Albeit it a little over board sometimes.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Steve...there is an edit feature so you don't have to do 4 posts in a row.

Also, keep in mind that if you are going to an english site, you should be able to write or at last read....english. They aren't being racist, they are being reasonable. If you move to america, you should learn english, if you move to china, you should learn some chinesse. Nobody said they were inferior, they said that they didn't like the bombardment of chinesse on an english site.

Of course you shouldn't be driven out of the county, but rounded up in prison camps...er happy fun camps. (courtesy of the dailyshow)

Quote:

A lot of Chinese people are ashamed of their bad English especially in an all english used community. They are afraid that their bad english will be laughed at by others.

It would but all in good fun, and the same would happen elsewhere.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Forgive me in thinking that Spymac was an English speaking forum, and hence you follow the customs. "Speaking" in another language is just plain rude, and does not show any respect for the other users.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    I must have missed the memo that forbade certain languages on the net especially on an internet forum..
  • Reply 16 of 84
    It is courtesy to speak the language that is predominant. As stated above Spymac is a ENGLISH SPEAKING FORUM SO IT IS COMMON COURTESY TO USE ENGLISH. Why is this concept so hard to understand?

If you can't read it, either learn it, or find another forum. Simple as that.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

It is courtesy to speak the language that is predominant. As stated above Spymac is a ENGLISH SPEAKING FORUM SO IT IS COMMON COURTESY TO USE ENGLISH. Why is this concept so hard to understand?

Where would they go? They can read English but their english is not good enough for them to write it.

They want to be able to hear from the american mac communities yet still be able to post in Chinese. Is that so wrong?

There are no good chinese only forums because it's impossible.

Your frustration at not being able to understand other languages is understandable though.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

It's english speaking because WHAT? The majority of the participants speak english? What if the majority of the participants speak chinese? Does it then become a chinese speaking forum? The internet is international. Yes, it would be courteous of them to write in English but that's because English speakers think they are superior and don't need to learn another language.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthr...threadid=72266

It looks like the chinese posters are making an effort to post in english.

Most of those posters in this thread are chinese, I can tell by their account id.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Go any section of this forum. Open it up. Look at the threads. What language are they written in? Would it not be safe to assume that if you want to participate and be a part of the forum, you should use the language that is predominantly used.

Honestly, if these boards went Chinese I would simply find another forum, because frankly I can not be arsed learning Chinese.

And why is it impossible for their to be a Chinese Mac discussion board? Yes I know rules are a little stricter in China, but not every Chinese person lives in China. If the demand is so great, and they want to talk about macs then they can start their own board. Don't create a subsection in someone else's.

This has got nothing to do with Chinese people, but more about following the language that allows discussion with the majority of the users.