What do you like about where you live?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Personally, I really love where I live and wouldn't want to move except under the most dire of circumstances.

1. no traffic (except during tourist season--hey, if it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?)

2. no yuppies but lots of hippies (I can put up with the latter much better than the former)

3. lots of good coffee but NO Starbucks (which kinda goes with number 2)

4. also following from number 2, anyone who has money got his hands dirty earning it. People around here are very down to earth.

5. People are very polite and friendly--kinda goes with number 1; it's a small town

6. lots of wildlife--gotta check the area for moose before you send the kids outside; small pets, such as cats, poodles, and rabbits, should simply be named "eagle bait"; schools have plans in place to deal with bears wandering too near; also you don't have lots of trash messing up the scenery, because it would attract bears.

7. snow

8. lots of sunshine

9. beautiful mountains

there's more but I'll stop there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I live in Arkansas.

1. Nice people. We just moved back to Arkansas after an 8 year stint in Boston. My wife (who is from New Jersey) is absolutely amazed at how nice people are here compared to the total rudeness of New Englanders.

2. Not much traffic. It takes me ~15 minutes to drive 7 miles to work. The same drive in Boston took a min of 45 minutes up to 1.5 hours.

3. Beautiful scenary.

4. affordable houses

5. NO SNOW!!!!!!!

6. It needs to be repeated: NO SNOW!!!!!!!

7. very little road rage

8. family oriented neighborhoods. Hey, we actually talk and socalize with our neighbors down here. In Boston we talked to 3 (yes 3) neighbors and socalized with 0 neighbors in 8 friggin years. Not from lack of trying. Bostonians just want nothing to do with each other.

9. affordable and very good private schools (k-12)

10. affordable and very good colleges

11. my wife and daughter are very happy here and really love Arkansas -- thats the most important thing.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I can count the number of days of rain per year on my fingers.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Coffee shops.. and I don't mean the Starbucks kind
  • Reply 4 of 62
    12. I'm not surrounded by ultra liberals who try to force everyone to live by their politically correct dogma.

13. Its a "Carry" State
  • Reply 5 of 62
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    1. Oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere

2. Lack of harsh gamma radiation

3. Rarity of man-eating llamas

4. Freedom!
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

I live in Arkansas.

What part of Arkansas? I live in Monroe, LA not too far. Was up there last year at the Mulbery doing some raftin' with some friends.

Canoe Pics

Oh, I love the same stuff as podmate about where I live. Takes me 5 minutes to get to work unless the traffic is bad then it take 15. I live 10 miles away.

People are nice. Housing is cheap & safe.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

What part of Arkansas? I live in Monroe, LA not too far. Was up there last year at the Mulbery doing some raftin' with some friends.

Canoe Pics

Oh, I love the same stuff as podmate about where I live. Takes me 5 minutes to get to work unless the traffic is bad then it take 15. I live 10 miles away.

People are nice. Housing is cheap & safe.

I live in Little Rock.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Canoe Pics

Sorry for going off topic

Nice pics. I used to float the Buffalo (up north by MO.) B.C. (before children). Now that she is getting old enough to swim we are going to start floating again.

Ya'll need to wear some shirts, thats just a bad sunburn waiting to happen.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    I live in New York City. I even like the things I don't particularly like about it (such as noise, crime, hipsters, poor air quality, crazy people) because they all contribute to the general New York Fuckin' Cityness of the place.

About the only aspects of NYC life I really hate are the tiny-apartment-huge-rent thing, the no smoking in bars thing and the fact that we have such a putz for a mayor.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    For a minute I thought Fangorn and I were living in the same place.

Ditto for no traffic (but yes death to tourists!), hippies, good coffee (but I make it myself), everybody being a bit shonky, friendly people who look out for each other, lots of roadkill (oops) I mean wildlife (kangaroos, wallabies, tortoises especially), lots of sunshine but......

NO SNOW. Praise the Lord!

Beaches. Miles and miles and miles of beaches.

Offbeat country characters.

I can see see stars at night. Millions of them.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I live in student housing near my school.

Not in any particular order:

1) cheap cheap cheap!

2) other students make great neighbors. Sharing kitchen and bath does not bother me.

3) well built and (sound/heat) insulated brick buildings, no concrete elements

4) enough "nature" around for my taste - many spots left in natural condition (lots of trees), also the campus nearer to school has lawns and trees

5) shore (visible from my window) has suitable spots for barbicue and a path for jogging

6) close enough to city centre to bicycle with ease (10km)

7) good public transportation if it isn't holiday

8 ) plenty free parking space

All in all, one great place to live. Many of these good sides are only useful in summer, not in winter, but that's life.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I live in New York City. I even like the things I don't particularly like about it (such as noise, crime, hipsters, poor air quality, crazy people) because they all contribute to the general New York Fuckin' Cityness of the place.

About the only aspects of NYC life I really hate are the tiny-apartment-huge-rent thing, the no smoking in bars thing and the fact that we have such a putz for a mayor.

I couldn't have said it better. There is no place like NYC.

Just remember what Crocodile Dundee said, "New York must be the friendliest place on earth if 8 million people all want to live with each other."

We have the best everything and it's always open.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I live in the Bay Area.

I can easily name more things I hate about this area than I like, but I'll try.

1. Always something to do

2. Many options for broadband, because it is a densley populated area

3. I live in a small town(yes, it goes against #2) or 25,000 people.

4. Near the water
  • Reply 14 of 62
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My town? well, the terms craphole, and stink-pit jump to mind. Some other words that enter my mind are...bitter, and cold, and thats just the people.

everything costs more here than most every surrounding state and the only jobs in this craphole involve factory work or farming.

what i do like:

Had Broadband for years

had hdtv via catv for 2 years

not much traffic

apple store less than an hr. away

Gotta love Indiana
  • Reply 15 of 62
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's cold. I like being cold.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Easy highway access out.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm in Boston currently, and some things I like about it:

it's a city, but it feels like a small town.

I live right across the street from a CVS

I live only a few blocks away from Berklee

I only live a few blocks away from where most of my friends are(dorm)

Both my roommates I've known since high school, and we get along well

however, California is where my heart is, and I love it for many of the same reasons people like wherever it is they live, notably.

~The weather, pretty much always perfect

~Huge state, I live in SoCal, but have been as far as humboldt and as low as san diego, and well, It's just amazing how much diversity there is.

~generally, the people are pretty awesome, in comparison to city folk out in boston, californians are much more enjoyable to deal with.(this varies, I haven't lived in LA for a long time, so I don't really know what it's like there anymore)

~Longest Coast line in the continental US

~Some of the most beautiful landscapes I've seen

~when I'm there I feel comfortable.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I like that I ride my bike to work.

I like that my little city is quiet and clean.

I like that it's situated between Venice Beach and downtown L.A.

And I love Southern California and I love my job.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I dont like a thing about where I live (Texas) other than the fact I get paid a bunch and I get tenure.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    nyc

• there are plenty of chicks

• when i walk the streets at odd hours in the morning, people are out

• also, at night/morning stores & bars are open

• my friends are here

• there are lots of bars

• its new york

• the skyline

• subways

• the slightly grimey nature of my 'hood

• the nearest convenience store is actually conveniently located; and there always seems to be one in walking distance

• theres always some{thing,one} to do in ny

things i dont like:
    • cost of cigarettes

• the winters

• no smoking in [most] bars