Speculations on the new iMac's specifications

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's have some specs on the iMac's specs. It seems likely that there will be a new iMac at WWDC (or thereabouts), given that it lags behind the eMac in some features and hasn't been updated in some time.

Questions:

Will it survive in (roughly) the same form?

Will it have a G5, or will it go to the 1.5Ghz G4s in the PowerBooks before it goes to G5s?

I wouldn't say a G5 is a sure thing, looking at the size of the heat sink and the number of fans in the PowerMacs. I wonder if a G5 can get into that small of a shape. But maybe these new 970fx's can do it, with some other modifications like reducing the FSB speed.

My (hopeful) prediction:

iMac 15", 1.6 Ghz G5, 400Mhz FSB, $1499

iMac 17", 1.8 Ghz G5, 450Mhz FSB, $1899

iMac 20", 2.0 Ghz G5, 500Mhz FSB, $2299

Appleinsider also has a news item up about the current iMac going out of stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 241
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Questions:

Will it survive in (roughly) the same form?

Will it have a G5, or will it go to the 1.5Ghz G4s in the PowerBooks before it goes to G5s?

I wouldn't say a G5 is a sure thing, looking at the size of the heat sink and the number of fans in the PowerMacs. I wonder if a G5 can get into that small of a shape. But maybe these new 970fx's can do it, with some other modifications like reducing the FSB speed.

I think that a 970FX can easily go into the iMac, even with a clock speed as high as 2.0 GHz. I believe Apple can do it if they want to. This is not the question. The question is if they think the time has come to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 241
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    If Apple is going for an all-daul PowerMac lineup, Apple should use the same processors it does in the PowerMac. The iMacs might use a different bus frequency, but the processors should be the same.

That is, if there are three PowerMac models at 1.8GHz, 2.2GHz and 2.5GHz all dual processors, then the iMac should start at 1.8GHz and go up to 2.5GHz.

This saves Apple money in that they can bulk-order the G5's at those fixed speeds, even more so since the PowerMacs will be duals. This reduces the cost of the iMac and the PowerMac at the same time!

This is also an incentive for IBM to develop the G5 by increasing the demand for G5 processors by a whole lot.

For example, let's assume Apple sells 200,000 PowerMacs and 200,000 iMacs in a quarter. Right now, let's assume that means about 300,000 G5 processors.

Now consider an Apple lineup with all-dual powermacs and G5 iMacs. That's about 600,000 G5 processors per quarter, doubling the number and hence reducing the cost (economies of scale!).
  • Reply 3 of 241
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    I'm looking for

iMac 15" 1.4Ghz G5 700mhz bus $1299

iMac 17" 1.6Ghz G5 800mhz bus $1599

iMac 20" 2.0Ghz G5 1000Mhz bus $2199

I'm hoping they don't cripple the FSB. The G5

needs a fast FSB to feed the processor. But hey

it's Apple we're talking about here.
  • Reply 4 of 241
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    There are only three things I want in the new iMac line:

G5 processors topping out at 2.0GHz. (If they don't hit the 2.0 number for marketing purposes then it's not even worth doing)

PCIe graphics

No more 15" model
  • Reply 5 of 241
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My speculation is that the G5 I mac will have a PPC 970 fx, and that all powermac will be dual.

That's mean, that in a marketing point of vue, there is no reason to have downclocked G5.

The yields of the G5 FX, will give the yields of the Imac G5. Is the fabbing process is good, there is no reason to see 1,8 and 2 ghz Imac G5.

It's time for Imac to have a fast chip.
  • Reply 6 of 241
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Dream / what I think Apple should give the iMac buyer:

15 inch

1.8 GHz 970FX (450MHz bus)

512MB DDR400 RAM (Two free slots, 6GB maximum)

160GB SATA hard-drive

Gigabit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9600XT 128MB

$1299

17 inch

2.0 GHz 970FX (500MHz bus)

512MB DDR400 RAM (Two free slots, 6GB maximum)

200GB SATA hard-drive

Gigabit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9600XT 128MB

$1599

20 inch

2.2 GHz 970FX (550MHz bus)

1GB DDR400 RAM (Two free slots, 6GB maximum)

250GB SATA hard-drive

Gigabit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9800 Pro 128MB

$1999

----------

Now this is what I believe is more realistic:

15 inch

1.6 GHz 970FX (400MHz bus)

256MB DDR400 RAM (One free slot, 4GB maximum)

120GB SATA hard-drive

10/100Mbit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9600 Pro 64MB

$1299

17 inch

1.6 GHz 970FX (400MHz bus)

256MB DDR400 RAM (One free slot, 4GB maximum)

160GB SATA hard-drive

10/100Mbit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9600 Pro 64MB

$1599

20 inch

1.8 GHz 970FX (450MHz bus)

512MB DDR400 RAM (One free slot, 4GB maximum)

160GB SATA hard-drive

10/100Mbit ethernet

ATi RADEON 9600 Pro 64MB

$2099

----------------

For both dream and realistic speculation, I think the iMac will lose its current form factor, followed by one that is slightly less ergonomic - i.e. it loses its arm. The computer housing itself will be larger to allow for hotter interior (bigger heat-sinks, better air-flow). But it will sure as hell be secksy, it will smell "I am a computer that you want!". ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 241
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The yields of the G5 FX, will give the yields of the Imac G5. Is the fabbing process is good, there is no reason to see 1,8 and 2 ghz Imac G5.

It's time for Imac to have a fast chip.

Heat and cost might be factors though. I know they did some wonderful things with cooling off the fx, but that iMac base really IS small.

And presumably the slower chips would still be cheaper, even if they've really got the manufacturing down. One question though is how slow will they even make the fx? For example, will they make any at 1.6 Ghz when it's the successor to a chip that also started at 1.6 Ghz.
  • Reply 8 of 241
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Heat and cost might be factors though. I know they did some wonderful things with cooling off the fx, but that iMac base really IS small.

And presumably the slower chips would still be cheaper, even if they've really got the manufacturing down. One question though is how slow will they even make the fx? For example, will they make any at 1.6 Ghz when it's the successor to a chip that also started at 1.6 Ghz.

You're assuming the iMac case is going to be the same. I say we see a whole new form factor. Under 2Ghz the 970fx will average less than 24watts.
  • Reply 9 of 241
    erharderhard Posts: 3member

The german apple refurbished shop is still open since 2.6. This is very uncommon.

I hope, that in the next week there will be something new.

iMac G5 ?1?
  • Reply 10 of 241
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    I would really like to see them let the consumer choose both the screen size and the processor speed, so if someone doesn't need the fast processor, but really wants a large display, they could save some money.

As for my predictions, no more 15" model. Case redesigned a bit, but not too different, all with the 970fx:

17" Display

1.4 GHz G5 (700 MHz bus)

256 MB RAM

Combo Drive

$1399

17" Display

1.8 GHz G5 (900 MHz bus)

512 MB RAM

SuperDrive

$1699

20" Display

2.0 GHz G5 (1000 MHz bus)

512 MB RAM

Super Drive

$2099
  • Reply 11 of 241
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    My only hope is that Apple do what they did when they introduced the current generation iMac...that is change processor-- in this case, go from G4 to G5.

Unfortunately, if this is not considered a new generation (i.e. new form factor), my fear is that we're in store for a simple bump to 1.5ghz G4.
  • Reply 12 of 241
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'm going to be optimistic, given that the G5 apparently costs less to manufacture than the G4 does on average:

15-inch
    • 1.6 GHz G5

• 256 MB of DDR333 memory

• 64 MB GeForce PCX 5300 video

• 80 GB SATA hard drive

• Combo drive

• $1099

17-inch
    • 2 GHz G5

• 256 MB of DDR400 memory

• 128 MB GeForce PCX 5700 video

• 80 GB SATA hard drive

• Superdrive

• $1599

20-inch
    • 2 GHz G5

• 512 MB of DDR400 memory

• 128 MB GeForce PCX 5700 video

• 80 GB SATA hard drive

• Superdrive

• $1999

Obviously I'll likely be wrong about at least some aspects of those specs, but hopefully I'm not too far off the mark.
  • Reply 13 of 241
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I believe that Apple has an opportunity to deliver a new generation iMac that is as much a leap as the current version was over the original.

The interesting factor with the new iMac is that it was probably designed for the 970FX well before IBM fab problems surfaced. The situation might be one of IBM busting @ss for Apple, delivering the 975 for the dual PMs and the 970FX for the iMacs. This allows the iMac to have significant speed boosts without hurting the PM line - especially if IBM came up with some special pricing to make up for the problems.

I believe that the new iMac will have a lot of speed related technology from the PM in order for it to blow similar priced PCs out of the water. Fast FSB, memory, etc. In terms of speed, there is no reason why the imac can't be .2 or .4 gigs below the top of the line PM. If a 3 gig PM is announced then the imac could top out at 2.6 to 2.8, which would drive the PC lovers (and M Dell) nuts. If PM's remain all duals (with one low end single) there is no reason for not having the iMac to be the single chip platform - matching, or just about matching, the dual platform PM's speeds. Hell, if the iMac remains the single processor AIO offering is there any reason why it can't use (assuming availability of chips) the fastest G5 available in the PM? If a 3 gig AIO 20" iMac was available for $2,495 would you be interested?

I would also not be surprised to see an improvement in the displays - along with the new displays for the PM.

I won't guess at pricing, just that Apple will maintain their margins close to their normal levels. The issue is to deliver something that will have us reaching for the credit cards very quickly. Personally i want a G5 3 gig 20" iMac and $2,495 sounds OK for that beast . . .
  • Reply 14 of 241
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Whats with the premature specification?
  • Reply 15 of 241
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Although the predictions for the new imac sound great, I'm afraid Apple is going to be more conservative in its line-up. Most likely, the iMac will get the G5 processor, but a lower speed one, perhaps topping out at 2.0 GHz. I really don't foresee any other major changes at this time. One thing I feel Apple must do to remain competitive, is ship iMacs (as well as other Macs) with at least 512 MB RAM. Even some Windows machines ship with 1 GHz RAM!
  • Reply 16 of 241
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Unfortunately, if this is not considered a new generation (i.e. new form factor), my fear is that we're in store for a simple bump to 1.5ghz G4.

Hmm, this is one thing, the other thing is we don't know where IBM is with the yield issues they had. They said some time ago that the situation was improving, but still not at the point they expected. So, if the yields remain below optimal levels (and Xserve G5 estimated shipping -- 4-6 weeks -- indicates so), then I seriously doubt they would be capable to feed with G5 processors Power Macs AND Xserves AND iMacs. No, I don't think so.
  • Reply 17 of 241
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chipz

Although the predictions for the new imac sound great, I'm afraid Apple is going to be more conservative in its line-up. Most likely, the iMac will get the G5 processor, but a lower speed one, perhaps topping out at 2.0 GHz. I really don't foresee any other major changes at this time. One thing I feel Apple must do to remain competitive, is ship iMacs (as well as other Macs) with at least 512 MB RAM. Even some Windows machines ship with 1 GHz RAM!

I think you mean GB, not GHz, but that's alright.

Anyways, I could see Apple having 512 MB of RAM on the 17-inch, but I think that the 15-incher will stick to 256 for the all-important low starting price.

On a related note, I deliberately highballed the price I'm guessing for the 15-inch model, believe it or not - I think Apple will be very tempted to hit $999 if it's at all possible. Fred Anderson, in a financial call earlier this year, talked about how Apple knew it was missing sales because it wasn't hitting the $999 "sweet spot." I don't think that a slightly cheaper Superdrive eMac was the only thing Apple wanted to offer in that area.
  • Reply 18 of 241
    macmorselmacmorsel Posts: 32member
    I think everybody is missing a potential possibility with the iMacs.

COLOR

The original iMacs were offered in what?.. five different colors, as the minis currently are.

My predictions for WWDC:

iMac:

Silver, Blue, Gold, Pink & Green color offerings

1.8 SP, 2.2 SP, 2.6 SP G5's

Either 15", 17" & 20" OR 17", 20" & 23" OR Headless iMac in colors mentioned above to attach to new displays.

*Price drops

PowerMacs:

2.2 DP, 2.6 DP & 3.0 DP PowerMac G5's

PCIe, 1TB storage capable

1.2, 1.5 & 1.8 OR 2.0GHZ FSB

Standard 1GHZ RAM

iPods:

4G iPods w/ color screens, iPhoto integration & Camera integration (connect your camera and download the pictures to your iPod to empty your cameras card when your Mac isn't handy), & Keynote integration which allows you to use your iPod for presentation with musical or notational integration.

PowerBooks:

New BLACK PBs

1.8 SP, 2.2 SP, 2.6 SP & 3.0 SP G5's

12", 15", 17"

PCIe

eMacs:

1.2 & 1.5GHz

200 MHz FSB

80 GB HD

Possible multiple colors

*Price drops

iBooks

1.2, 1.33 & 1.5GHz

200 MHz FSB

60 & 80Gb HD

Standard Superdrive in Top-end model

Possible multiple colors

*Possible price drops

Displays

19", 23" & 30"

New design to match PM design

possible multiple colors in the 19"

Better resolutions across the board

*Prices raise $100 each for bottom two configs, $400 for top-end

~ New iApp

~ atleast 60 new functions for Tiger - Price: $149 (WAY BETTER 64 bit support!!!)

~ Announce new Movie store

~ Announce OS Xl to arrive in 1 1/2 years

~ and much, much more!
  • Reply 19 of 241
    macmorselmacmorsel Posts: 32member
    Oh yeah.. and a promotion for people who purchase the new multiple color Macs in the first week after WWDC will recieve a matching iPod mini for free!!
  • Reply 20 of 241
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    My perdictions for WWDC.

Ipod

4G up to 60 GB

no more 15 GB

price range is the same

won't ship intill September to November

Imac

15 inch

1.6 GHz G5

256 mb ram