Speculations on the new iMac's specifications

Comments

• Reply 21 of 241
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    The iPod won't be updated at WWDC. It's a developers' conference, first of all. Announcing iPods there would not only be wasteful, it would seemingly confirm the fears of everyone who's afraid that Apple will give up computers.

Furthermore, Toshiba said that the new 1.8" hard drives would only start shipping in July/August. That's not enough time for there to be an announcement, especially considering the iPod mini fiasco. Remember that Apple still has to assemble the iPods themselves before they can be considered ready.

MacMorsel:

Those aren't predictions that you made, by the way - those are purely daydreams. Apple will not overhaul their whole lineup in one show, especially not when they already did a few updates (eMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks) just a couple months before.

The one thing I could see Apple doing with iMac G5s that you mention would be colours, but if they do as much I think they'll remember their lessons from the iMac G3, i.e. keep the colours relatively tame and low in number. It's easy to justify having five colour options for a $250 MP3 player. It's much harder to do that with a $1000+ computer lineup. I say that Apple doesn't go any further than three colours at most, and that they play it safe (blue, green, silver) if that's the case.
  • Reply 22 of 241
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

The one thing I could see Apple doing with iMac G5s that you mention would be colours, but if they do as much I think they'll remember their lessons from the iMac G3, i.e. keep the colours relatively tame and low in number.

I think the return of color would be a mistake. I get the feeling that the G5 iMac is being primed as the "grown up" iMac. Still sleek and gorgeous of course, but more refined and powerful. It'll still be white, but with more chrome and/or metal accents and fittings.

You gotta remember that when the fruit-flavored iMacs were all the rage there were no inexpensive, powerful iBooks and eMacs or multi-colored iPod minis to also appeal to the youth/female/hipster market. Now the G5 iMac can take its rightful place as the elegant prosumer machine it has recently tried to be, but finally with the specs to back it up.
  • Reply 23 of 241
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    I think in the next few months they will make the Super drive in all systems and no downgardes.. this would make every mac having DVD burning capabiities and maybe for some new software that would use that.
  • Reply 24 of 241
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    these threads kill me.

no one knows anything about what or IF apple will introduce ANYTHING at wwdc or than "TIGER".
  • Reply 25 of 241
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

these threads kill me.

no one knows anything about what or IF apple will introduce ANYTHING at wwdc or than "TIGER".

True, nobody outside Apple and its contractors knows anything or if they do they're under non-disclosure. However you have to figure that small bits of information leak from time to time whether true or not. Those tiny leaks, and guessing are what speculation is based on. If you're not interested in speculation, I don't know why you'd be here. It's the subject of the thread.

With that said, I really think (and hope) Apple will be trying to offer a low end iMac below $1000. I speculate that. Screw the specs, offer an iMac with an adjustable LCD for $999!
  • Reply 26 of 241
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't think the iMac is going to get updated before the PowerMac. Nor is WWDC a good choice for the iMac update. But I think the LCD iMac is a luxury item. Apple should just put a cinema wide style screen in an old style eMac iMac one piece enclosure, and have that lower priced iMac back. Just have a different version for affordability. It's cool as h3ll, but it's too expensive for your every day computer buyer. eMachines, and stripped down celeron processor driven PC's are attracting all the new computer buyers. Not many people want to spend that kind of money on their first computer, and too many parents just cant afford it like they could with the bondi blue iMac.

my 2¢
  • Reply 27 of 241
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Since we're guessing...

I think we'll see both the new PowerMacs and the iMacs arrive at WWDC (and that's it for Macs). The new PowerMacs will be much faster and may come with the 975, but failing that will be dual 2.5+ GHz 970FXs. There's a decent chance of seeing PCI Express, I think -- Apple may want to try leading here for a change, and they may get on board with the latest ATI or nVidia GPUs.

For the iMac I'm thinking there is a good chance that the form factor will change, and it might even morph into a low-end headless unit. The 970FX was designed for this machine, and if the yields are getting better as IBM claims then we'll see them at speeds of 1.8 - 2.2 GHz or so. The FSB will run at 1/2 processor clock, but the iMac will not have dual bank RAM and may only have DDR333. If they change to a headless machine the GPU will be on a card and there maybe BTO variations, or at least pre-built configs for those serious about their graphics.

Regardless of my accuracy I confidently predict that many users will be right back here complaining that they are too slow, too expensive, too hard to get, too late to save Apple, etc.
  • Reply 28 of 241
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    If iMac G5 is released, it will have a 970fx at a minimum of 2.0Ghz.

I said this once before, I do not believe that Apple will release any machine with PCIe at WWDC. Maybe by MWSF we will see this, but not at the end of the month.

I wish it were true that PCIe Macs were going to be released, but it doesn't add up with me.

I hope to see iMacs at 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6. I would also like to see PM's all dual at 2.5, 3.0, and 3.5.

I don't want Apple to just reach 3.0, I want them to break it. I also want to see more prosumerish specs on the new iMac.

It would be nice if Apple tossed in a new XServe speed bump and announced that these machines were being shipped to VT in mass. I want to see Big Mac II take the top prize in Supercomputing.
  • Reply 29 of 241
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Just my dumb WAG:

iMac G5s would have to be redesigned to handle the heat load, even with a 1.6 GHz 970FX. A single variable speed fan will do the trick. There could be a pitched radial heat sink similar to those used on fast new GPUs but it'd take up more room than what's used in the G4 iMac now. Adding a beefier GPU would also increase the heat load.

With all of this in mind, I'd imagine some sort of shape change would be in order. Instead of the ring of little slits around the base, they could have a continuous slot around the base, making the iMac look like it's floating:

Of course, the design could be something completely different.

Other spec ideas to complete the picture:

Dual RAM slots, 800 MHz bus, 333 MHz PC2700 memory

512MB (2x256)

80GB SATA 7200 rpm

8x DVD-R SuperDrive

20" LCD

$2099

I'd sure like to see a headless version of this for something like $999.

I'm also wondering about the new G5s. If there's a unified heat sink/fan unit and no front fans in the processor bay, there'd be lots of room for additional internal HDs. For that to work, all models would have to be duals. I wonder if there'll be front-accessible hot-swappable HDs as in Xserve RAID or simply space inside for extra internal drives on higher end models.

As for speeds, I'd guess 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 GHz, +/- 200 MHz.

Well, less than two weeks to go before we know. \
  • Reply 30 of 241
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    OK, people here are the specs

No inside knowledge of course, but be prepared to be stunned by my prescience on the 28th!

First things first, the 15" model gets killed and the entry level actually goes up a $100. If you want a <$1K machine get an eMac. 1024 displays are now only on the small, light portables were they belong.

17" iMac G5

1.6 GHz 970fx

Combo Drive

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB (AGP 8x)

256MB RAM

80GB SATA drive

$1399

17" iMac G5

1.8 GHz 970fx

SuperDrive (8x)

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (AGP 8x)

512MB RAM

120GB SATA drive

$1799

20" iMac G5

2.0 GHz 970fx

SuperDrive (8x)

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (AGP 8x)

512MB RAM

120GB SATA drive

$2199
  • Reply 31 of 241
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well I doubt they will continue with the 2 to 1 ratio for the FSB. I'm thinking they will set hteir sites on a multiplier of 3 or 4, thus a machine with a 500 MHz bus will run at 2GHz with a 4 to 1 ratio and 1.5GHz with a 3 to 1 ratio. This would allow Apple to make use of reasonably fast memmory and improve dramatically the performance of the current machine.

The bigger question in my mind is where tehy stand with respect to the GPU. What would really be hot is if they went with PCI-Express on the new iMac. That would really give us a machine with extended life span.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm hoping they don't cripple the FSB. The G5

needs a fast FSB to feed the processor. But hey

it's Apple we're talking about here.

• Reply 32 of 241
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I personally think they'll do what they did with the Cube with the iMac--one free AGP/PCIe slot.
  • Reply 33 of 241
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You know I'm neither young/female nor a hipster and I still think the multi colored iMacs where a good idea. Maybe they didn't always make the best color choices but just having a choice is a very positive thing. Besides those colored machines can be an enhancement to many an office.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

or multi-colored iPod minis to also appeal to the youth/female/hipster market.

• Reply 34 of 241
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Heat and cost might be factors though. I know they did some wonderful things with cooling off the fx, but that iMac base really IS small.

And presumably the slower chips would still be cheaper, even if they've really got the manufacturing down. One question though is how slow will they even make the fx? For example, will they make any at 1.6 Ghz when it's the successor to a chip that also started at 1.6 Ghz.

As Programmer said, we can speculate that the form factor will be different. I am ready to bet a couple of Champagne bottle on this one .

A new technology means a new design, and Apple love to be the leader in fashion computer.

I also think that the computer won't support dual memory banks, and will have only two memory slots. However I'll bet for DDR 400 memory, because this memory is cheap now, and if especially the new powermac G5 use DDR 2.
  • Reply 35 of 241
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    As for the return of the colors, Apple has now the potential to do it in a very cool fashion. Someone here (sorry, I don't remember the name) had designed some very nice mock-ups of colored iBooks, a la iPod mini. Anyone to try her/his talent in a, possibly metal, iMac with such colors ?
  • Reply 36 of 241
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    when will all ye geeks out there finally accept the fact that Apple will rather make a product which appeals to hip people than one which appeals to geeks?

colours are good

the current white styling is godawful
  • Reply 37 of 241
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

As Programmer said, we can speculate that the form factor will be different. I am ready to bet a couple of Champagne bottle on this one .

Yes, but are they full bottles?
  • Reply 38 of 241
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Yes, but are they full bottles?

Let the speculation begin!

I also think the colors were a brilliant way to appeal to consumers. That's one choice that consumers really do like to have.

The only problem is that for relatively large, expensive items like personal computers, multiple colors are a logistical nightmare. Last time Apple solved the logistical problem on its end by manufacturing equal amounts of all colors and punting the problem to the retailers, who were (understandably) outraged. Perhaps now that Apple has a significant investment in retail itself they won't try that again - but that leaves the problem of being able to rapidly and inexpensively adjust how many of which color get made for whom. The great cost saver in mass production is consistency: you can have any color you want as long as it's white. Every option introduces complexity, time and cost to the process. And those costs reappear when you have to distribute, stock and display multiple configurations.

I'm not suggesting that it's an insoluble problem, because that's absurd. It's been solved many times, in many ways - but in other industries. Apple's going to have to figure out how to crack this nut its own way, and convince its third-party resellers to play along.

All that said, though, if they can do it, great. If they don't, then they'd better have a heck of a good design.
  • Reply 39 of 241
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Someone here (sorry, I don't remember the name) had designed some very nice mock-ups of colored iBooks, a la iPod mini.

Yes, it was Jimzip and Pscates. For those who missed that thread, take a look here.
  • Reply 40 of 241
    If they release a 2.0 ghz imac and it comes out before the 3 ghz power mac....i'm totally getting it instead...