WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 281 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well my, my. This is getting nasty quickly... "Who's the most developery on the block?"

C'mon guys, knock it off.

Anybody want to take bets on the next post being "My compiler can beat up your compiler?" Or maybe the old favorite "How long have *you* been developing?"

Jeez.
  • Reply 282 of 436
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    This is a great thread. One of the best I have seen on AI in a long time.

But so far this entire thread has been mostly about QT7 and new hardware for audio and video. I personally would like to know a little more about what else is expected to be in 10.4 Tiger.

Mike
  • Reply 283 of 436
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I think we may be neglecting other important areas, but QT7 is huge.

Back in the OS9 days, QT was obviously and significantly better than the alternatives. People on these fora were rightfully concerned mostly with shortcomings in the Mac OS. The same was true for the early days of OS X.

Now that OS X no longer seems incomplete, focus has shifted to other topics. The same was true back in the IE5 for OSX days. Web browsing was the weakest link and garnered extensive criticism and attention.

The battle front seems to have shifted since other pieces to the puzzle are now generally deemed 'good enough'. The new battlefront is integration with media devices and online distribution of media. In this battle, quicktime will be the deciding factor.

It's enlightening to sit and ponder various cross platform APIs. It is actually quite rare for users to have any such APIs installed unless they are bundled with windows. Java and Flash are the next two that come to mind.

Apple's trojan horse, iPod/iTunes/iTMS has slipped an absolutely huge API onto hundreds of millions of computers world wide. This is perhaps the best way to gain a foothold in the windows market.

However, to continue on this tach, Apple had to overhaul quicktime's originally innovative, but now ramshackle, code base. Yes, I'm still gushing about what QT7 means to the industry. It will the first new, large scale, and cross platform API to dent the Windows market in many years.
  • Reply 284 of 436
    beamsobeamso Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I just wanted to illustrate that XCode is important. Right now apple is getting their ass kicked by everyone as far as IDEs. Add some damn code sense to Objective-C... its time, its not hard. I have heard rumors that it will be in 1.5... but we'll see. I know Microsoft charges for their IDE but VS6 and VS.net blow XCode away...

Code Sense for Objective C was in Xcode 1.0.

Most of the larger Apple developers have Xcode 1.5 now (Select and Premier ADC members).
  • Reply 285 of 436
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by beamso

Code Sense for Objective C was in Xcode 1.0.

Most of the larger Apple developers have Xcode 1.5 now (Select and Premier ADC members).

I have XCode 1.2 and code sense does not work at all. I had XCode 1.0 before that... didn't work. Why is one of the biggest features of XCode 1.5 supposedly code sense?
  • Reply 286 of 436
    Why are we pulling this thread down into a egofest again?

Take it elsewhere guys. Seriously.

We don't care.
  • Reply 287 of 436
    mavstermavster Posts: 51member
    is it just me, or does much of what kormac has been saying for these last couple of years remind anyone else of what rfi was speaking of way back when? aside from the obvoius differences in their writing style, seems they're trying to hammer the same points.. was looking at some old pdf's from the rfi site from a few years back and there was much speculation about dtv, amp (possibly i****v2), pervasive computing and such..

and his name, robert K mORgan, makes you think...

mavster
  • Reply 288 of 436
    Oooooooh, good catch....

Seriously though, I do think that this convergence has been touted and seen coming for a number of years now, but only recently possible.
  • Reply 289 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mavster

and his name, robert K mORgan, makes you think...

mavster: We've had many suspicions about Kormac's identity over the years. But this is certainly a new and original one.

However, my conclusion is that Kormac's real identity is irrelevant. He makes us think about new ideas, revisit old ones, and question preconceived notions. Kormac fosters the kind of thought provoking discussion that characterized the AppleInsider of old. I'm delighted that Kormac is back, along with the vigorous and creative debate that I love.

We all followed Mac the Knife until his premature passing. Many of us enjoy(ed) reading the Naked Mole Rat. We all enjoy reading Nick de Plume's stories on Think Secret. Kasper Jade and his new friend Katie Marsal are back with a vengeance. Does it really matter whether they are real people or not? That we don't know their real identities? No. That would ruin the whole fun.

Let's continue the discussion! We still have a solid 85 hours to go until Steve's WWDC keynote.

Escher
  • Reply 290 of 436
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mavster

pervasive computing and such..

eh? Pervasive in what manner? Someone enlighten me!

SOMETHING besides new friggin monitors and Tiger must appear at this keynote, unless Tiger really is an appreciably impactful piece of work. But as it is, if one thinks about Apple's hardware lineup right now, it's pretty well-rounded in a practical sense. Sure the specs are not where the money-coming-out-of-my-ears power users would like them to be, but remember that there are tons of people (scientists, creative professionals, musicians) that use less-than-modern Mac equipment and operating systems and yet still turn out exceptional results.
  • Reply 291 of 436
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Sure the specs are not where the money-coming-out-of-my-ears power users would like them to be, but remember that there are tons of people (scientists, creative professionals, musicians) that use less-than-modern Mac equipment and operating systems and yet still turn out exceptional results.

those people aren't helping apple's bottomline and are not growing the mac base.

the iMac sales are at their lowest ever. this is a product that used to carry apple, and now it actually nearly brings them down.
  • Reply 292 of 436
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    where is Kormac?
  • Reply 293 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Odedh

where is Kormac?

Lurking but not posting, it seems. I certainly would like to hear anything else Kormac has to say.

Escher
  • Reply 294 of 436
    mavstermavster Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

mavster: We've had many suspicions about Kormac's identity over the years. But this is certainly a new and original one.

However, my conclusion is that Kormac's real identity is irrelevant. He makes us think about new ideas, revisit old ones, and question preconceived notions. Kormac fosters the kind of thought provoking discussion that characterized the AppleInsider of old. I'm delighted that Kormac is back, along with the vigorous and creative debate that I love.

We all followed Mac the Knife until his premature passing. Many of us enjoy(ed) reading the Naked Mole Rat. We all enjoy reading Nick de Plume's stories on Think Secret. Kasper Jade and his new friend Katie Marsal are back with a vengeance. Does it really matter whether they are real people or not? That we don't know their real identities? No. That would ruin the whole fun.

Let's continue the discussion! We still have a solid 85 hours to go until Steve's WWDC keynote.

Escher

I absolutely agree with you right there.. I have enjoyed his and the others speculative postings/articles for years now and can't wait (as many others) for what's next.. In my mind, something big is brewing and has been for a few years.. and it's not the iPod which I truly think took surprised even Apple at its success. Maybe that's why they made it its own devision, as perhaps it was getting too much of Apple's attention.

Steve's egomaniacal side wants to be the best and win.. How do you win in business?? It's not only making great products.... it's making money.. Sure, Apple has been making some millions per quarter, but it's nowhere near the kind of $$$ that SOFTWARE and SERVICE companies make... That's where we've been slowly seeing the transformation of Apple, the computer company..

fred_lj .... pervasive computing as quoted from an old IBM presentation which I snatched off RFI's site a way back when:

Some people call it "the third wave of computing." Some call it "the post-PC era." Some call it "revolutionary." Whatever it's called, the fact is that there is a new equation:

Prevalence of computers + Access to information over the Internet + Smaller, affordable, interconnected devices =

New lifestyle capabilities and possibilities.

The name of this equation is pervasive computing.

What do we mean when we use the term "pervasive computing"? Our definition is "Convenient access through a new class of appliances to relevant information with the ability to easily take action on it, when and where you need to." Let me focus on the key words in that definition. "Convenient" means you're not tied to a desk. Instead, you have devices that you carry with you, such as a cell phone, a PDA, or a smart card. Or you have a larger appliance, like a refrigerator, a washing machine or an automobile, that is connected through the Internet to a desktop hardfile somewhere. "Relevant" means that you are accessing necessary and critical information that you need to make your life easier, whether it's your business or personal life. "Easily" means that you don't have to go through a lot of steps to get the information nor to do something with it.

Let me give you a real example. If I'm traveling and I want to check my email, first I have to open my laptop, then boot up, then connect to the server, then go into Lotus Notes, then go into my email, then look through...And of course there's all the waiting time between each of these steps. In a pervasive world, however, I open my WorkPad, one click, and I'm there.

So what we're talking about is a whole different paradigm than what we have today in the PC world. Convenience, relevance, and ease of use.

mavster
  • Reply 295 of 436
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I think there is an issue with the "headless" iMac concept.

Apple, I do not see releasing one, as it allows for their potentially beautiful design to be TOTALLY screwed up by any old CRT yucko-view-sonic monitor, etc. They want a signature machine, and a headless mac would not be that. They will control the entire thing, display and all, in my opinion. Not too many people would buy an Apple Flat Panel Monitor, when they can get a cheapo for hundreds of dollars less.

For those of you who *want* a headless mac, despite how good an idea it may seem, I think you are bound to be disappointed for the above reason.

I still see no reason that Apple can't come out with something beautiful and at a decent pricepoint to satisfy everyone, and get the iMac to where it should be again: at the top of their lineup.... an "enabler" for a much heftier G5 purchase.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 296 of 436
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    mavster is absolutely on the button. Pervasive computing is clearly the future for most people in the western world ie. 'always on' computing and communcations everywhere. All the companies know this but Apple has a particular advantage because it makes the whole widget. dotMac, backup, iSync etc. should be seen in this context and so should future products. I'm convinced now that Apple will make a big move into the 'home network' as the first embodiement of this concept.

Microsoft has to spend a huge effort playing politics and bullying companies into cooperation; Apple doesn't care, all it needs is the network; iTMS (which is working nicely now in the UK) shows how well they can design the back-ends of such services.
  • Reply 297 of 436
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The BBC on the Home Network concept

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3833475.stm
  • Reply 298 of 436
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Aren't you forgetting Ryan Meader? \

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Escher

• Reply 299 of 436
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

mavster is absolutely on the button. Pervasive computing is clearly the future for most people in the western world ie. 'always on' computing and communcations everywhere. All the companies know this but Apple has a particular advantage because it makes the whole widget. dotMac, backup, iSync etc. should be seen in this context and so should future products. I'm convinced now that Apple will make a big move into the 'home network' as the first embodiement of this concept.

Microsoft has to spend a huge effort playing politics and bullying companies into cooperation; Apple doesn't care, all it needs is the network; iTMS (which is working nicely now in the UK) shows how well they can design the back-ends of such services.

I couldn't agree more. How nice would it be if you could "borrow" a little bit of the refrigerator's computing power (small though it may be), or the home stereo or the laptop, to do something that takes a lot of power. Every item in the home on the home network wired or wireless could provide the distributed computing that could power a whole new class of products. 15 years ago it would take half a day to render a black and white digital darkroom document on a mac. Today you are talking editing DV in real time.

Add distributed computing and holography or immersive VR isn't so far fetched.

Go apple! Think like it's the 21st century.

I want my flying car's software running on a stable apple platform not some cobbled together version of windows from 1986.
  • Reply 300 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

Aren't you forgetting Ryan Meader? \

Merlion: I was under the impression that everybody agreed that Ryan Meader the red-headed stepchild is a crack-smoking freak (see this thread in GD for details). We already know Meader's identity and we know where he lives. We just haven't bothered to hunt him down and tickle him to death.

Note: I didn't list Jack Miller of AtAT fame because we know his identity. For the record, I deeply respect his creative writing, even though AtAT "makes 'Dawson's Creek' look like '60 Minutes.'"

Escher