WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 436
    I was just getting all excited about thoughts of an Apple alternative to Director. I would be strange if AW turned into this.
  • Reply 22 of 436
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nah

Appleworks will remain the same WP suite. Kickaha speaks of the advantage that any app with robust QT support can have. That's why I think it's so important to really nail QT7 programmatically and from and end user aspect.

QT is the core that should make you as a programmer look amazing to the end user as they uncover what the framework can do.

Man everywhere I look now there are stories about streaming, Quicktime, AVC etc. There definitely seems to be a swell coming for QT. If I doubted the arrival of QT7 a week ago I do not do so today.
  • Reply 23 of 436
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    QuickTime and AppleWorks evolving together!?!? I doubt it, BUT if it were os independent, it would make for a great "thin" version of everything I would need in a pda .... yeah, I know....
  • Reply 24 of 436
    Aren't you the same Kormac that kept saying Apple was about to introduce a new PDA two years ago? Why should we believe anything you say?
  • Reply 25 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Because he *STILL* has a better track record than 90% of the people posting here.

Oh, and a rumor is flying that 10.4 will have .NET 'compatability'... twas just a blurb apparently made in error, with no corroborating evidence or details. Let the rumormongering commence!
  • Reply 26 of 436
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Foo Fighter

Aren't you the same Kormac that kept saying Apple was about to introduce a new PDA two years ago? Why should we believe anything you say?

Well, for one, SJ recently admitted that Apple has designed a PDA that he was very proud of, but that he ultimately decided shouldn't be released...
  • Reply 27 of 436
    Um, actually, he didn't. If you go back and look at what he *actually* said, he only said he was proud of the products Apple decided not to release, including a PDA.

He may as well have said 'cheese grater' (although the G5 does in a pinch).

Unfortunate speculation and wishful misreading has gone rampant however, that this is proof of an Apple PDA locked in a vault somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were true, but this is not proof by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 28 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Um, actually, he didn't. If you go back and look at what he *actually* said, he only said he was proud of the products Apple decided not to release, including a PDA.

Unfortunate speculation and wishful misreading has gone rampant however, that this is proof of an Apple PDA locked in a vault somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were true, but this is not proof by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not sure I follow...

Apple deciding not to release products, including a PDA, implies that they had designed a PDA that they did not release. Steve can't be proud of a PDA they didn't design, can he?

Semantics, yes... But I'm not sure I see the difference you do....
  • Reply 29 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I too originally though that the news was:

Apple developed a PDA. They did not release it. Jobs is proud that they did not release it meaning he/Apple decided the market is not right (either "yet" or "anymore").

However that was based on my initial reading of the (ultimately) misleading Kasper article:

--

Jobs: Apple developed, but did not ship Apple PDA

"...Jobs confirmed that Apple had designed its own PDA device, but canned the project just prior to bringing it to market."

--

Alas, Kickaha's reading is correct, I feel.

"Not shipped" does not mean "designed but not shipped".

I'm proud that I haven't robbed a bank. That doesn't mean that I have actively plotted a bank robbery but later decided against it.

I will say that putting aside the article and Jobs' quote, that it doesn't mean Apple hasn't designed a PDA or PDAs (I would assume they have...it's just good R&D to at least prototype and reevaluate potential).

But I simply don't read too much into what Jobs said that time. I mean the sentence itself is not the "proof" it was presented as - and, I daresay, irresponsibly extrapolated upon (if only due to enthusiasm!).
  • Reply 30 of 436
    What he said. Ook.

Basically, a cleaner reading of it is that Jobs is proud of the *not releasing* a PDA.... not that he's proud of the *PDA* they didn't release. See the difference? I'm afraid Kasper's interpretation was... um... probably wrong.

Of course, if they do end up putting something out, I'll be thrilled.
  • Reply 31 of 436
    I think you guys are reading to much into this. His remarks do not imply Apple actually designed a PDA...just that they never decided to release one.
  • Reply 32 of 436
    Aaaaahhh, I see. "Proud" modifying "not released" as opposed to "PDA". Gotcha.

Although being proud of a device ultimately not released still makes more sense to me than being proud of the act of not releasing a device that may or may not have been designed.

Oughat get the book I had during the Linguistics class I took way back in freshman year of college from the basement and look over the semantics chapter again... I think it's pretty cool how different brains take the same sentence and see different meanings.

Anyways, back on topic... With Sony dropping the Clie, and Palm being in trouble, Jobs seems to have made the right decision, after all...
  • Reply 33 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

I think it's pretty cool how different brains take the same sentence and see different meanings.

Especially with Kasper "leading" us (in the sense of "leading the witness")...
  • Reply 34 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Hello.

The AppleWorks is the first product to use QuickTime 7 File.

It is not intened to be a multimedia authoring application.

It just use QuickTime file in documentation , specially presentation.

The Keynote will follow the same path as soon as APPLE officially announce Quicktime7

To othello and hmurchison;

For the APPLE Part of MPEG-4 AV ( H.264 ), I told this for quiet sometime ago.

I will talked about this in more detail.
  • Reply 35 of 436
    First, lets's check with past statment which I made.

Topic: Great things to come from....APPLE, begin with this week,NAB.

Quote:

kormac77

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.appleinsider.com/show...;threadid=22054

It has been a while. This board became quiet slow.

I would like to light a bit.

Here we go.

The promise of Great Apple's born again will be begin with this time.

Here is list of what you have to think about it.

1) Apple has been talking about great things about MPEG-4. It has been a while since QuickTime is announced and

Nothing great has been happened ...yet.

2) Apple has been talking about Internet broadcasting with MPEG-4 and Steve jobs had president of SONY-Erickson, Hand-phone maker, to Macworld guest. The SONY- Erickson will begin G3 Telecom service this year.

What Apple has been saying about this?

Nothing...yet.

3) The Digital Hub is great for Audio with Music, still image with Picture, and Video creation with DV&DVD.

But what about Video itself?

Do you use Tivo at home? Do you like PVR?

Do you have Set Top Box for Cable TV?

Do you wish to have inexpensive Set top box with PVR function for DTV, which is including HDTV?

What Apple has been talked about this part of Digital Hub?

Nothing¡¦. yet.

4) Apple has been talked about high-end post process system to several Hollywood production makers. The professional people have been using high-speed system from SGI and other high speed PC based workstation vendors. And the response from the professional people was very very positive.

Do you think this people were impressed with Dual 1.5Ghz PowerPC systems? NO¡¦

What did Apple showed to them and what has Apple told to us about this?

Nothing¡¦. Yet

5) Apple announced Clustering node system as new Xserver configuration. Do you see any use of this clustering node except very special DNA project or big scientific project, which need high number of calculation?

When was Apple made special system like Xserver Clustering node for such a small niche Market?

Never before¡¦until Now.

6) We are beginning to see the end of road for clock speed race for CPU. Apple was still behind of PC¡¯s clock speed race, so far.

Even with New 970 CPU, Apple will reach to limit of Clock speed barrier.

Yes, it is possible to make faster clock speed CPU system. However it will need very large Heat pump for cooling and great power consumption, like hot pod, even with PowerPC architecture.

What will be the answer for this and What APPLE was talked about this matter?

Nothing¡¦Yet.

7) When Apple bought Next as core for it¡¯s future operating system, Next OS had great functionality of best of Unix.

Such as Multitasking, Multi-user, and Clustering.

Do we see many of features in current Apple OSX?

Not much ¡¦. Yet.

Now what do you think?

It is like a Puzzle. We need some clue to put things together and this week and NAB will be beginning of the change.

So, What am I talking about?

I will tell you words for clue and you put it together.

and

Quote:

kormac77

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are words.

1) Clustering ¡© Grid computing.

2) MPEG-4 with H.264

3) MPEG-2 with Transportation Stream

4) Broadcasting over Wi-Fi

5) Multi-User: Net boot

6) DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD

7) HDTV as Monitor and TV: 30inch LCD.

OPEN GL with Quartz Extreme

9) PCI-X

10) Bluetooth: Hand Phone

11) 64 Bit Computing: 970

12) Tablet form fact :I****v2

13) DNA¡¦ I wish

And there will be more but it will be slow to come.

Have a nice day¡¦

As you see this I was talking about H.264 last year.
  • Reply 36 of 436
    As you can see above, Following item has been shown.

6) DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD

--> NAB 2004

8) OPEN GL with Quartz Extreme

--> It is Now working and will be better in the future with PCI express.

9) PCI-X

--> We have it now and it will be more faster in near future with HyperTransport protocol.

10) Bluetooth: Hand Phone

--> We have it now and we will see more device with this.

11) 64 Bit Computing: 970

--> Well, I think we have this now.

And Following items has not been shown currently.

But I think this way.

1) Clustering ¡© Grid computing.

--> It will be big announcement at WWDC 2004 for this.

--> Apple to bring cluster rendering to full line of video apps

--> Xgrid: Apple to take on parallel and distributed computing

-->
    Quote:

October 12, 2003 - Apple is developing a distributed/parallel computing solution called Xgrid, according to the company's Web site

2) MPEG-4 with H.264

--> We talked about this above.

3) MPEG-2 with Transportation Stream

--> This will be one of key area for the future.

4) Broadcasting over Wi-Fi

--> The Airport express is first of products which will

--> be the future for APPLE.

5) Multi-User: Net boot

--> We will see something about this in WWDC

7) HDTV as Monitor and TV: 30inch LCD.

--> Special Report: New Apple re-designed displays include 30-inch; Goodbye ADC

12) Tablet form fact :I****v2

--> Yes. it is still alive and we will see the product

--> this, if not at WWDC.

13) DNA¡¦ I wish

--> Well. There is still something to talk about this.

--> I wiil talk more this later

• Reply 37 of 436
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    kormac77...

good to see you around my friend!

so which of these new tech are you most excited with?

also, do you ever hear any rumors on the audio side of things,

it seems like you're into broadcast if i am correct?
  • Reply 38 of 436
    Then the question is, What the hell is all of this to Apple's future?

Let me ask several questions for logic.

1) Do you know what OS is been used by iPOD ?

If you don't, Do you care at all that is not M$ product and it's OS is not compatible with other M$ Window directly as .NET?

2) Do you know what OS is been used by your TV or Stereo ?

If you don't, Do you care at all that is not M$ product and it's OS is not compatible with other M$ Window directly as .NET?

3) Do you know what OS is been used by your Tivo and DVD Player?

This WWDC is the announcement of Big change of APPLE Product line and Steve will show first class of such a product.

And apple will introduce their plan for the future that all developer can follow the apple's way.

It will be 10.4 Tiger and much larger market.

Let's think about it. And Let's talk about it, if you wish.

This is for Now. I will see you later.

P.S.: Hint!

Don't you think 60GB in next ipod is too big for Only Music ?
  • Reply 39 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    So you are thinking they will all switch to Tiger? I don't think so.

I just felt a little funny that why the next big thing from Apple and Sun are both codename Tiger.
  • Reply 40 of 436
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Future Highend Ipod will run OS X

Apple will suddenly have a market share increase from ipod sales....

Perhaps it will be like IBMs prototypes of modular computing.... yes this is the future... but it seems years away unless a transmeta-like chip is used