WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 61 of 436
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

First, this year is 20th anniversary of first Mac.

For Apple, this will be big meaning and Apple is planning for the change.

In this WWDC, APPLE will announce the change of APPLE Computer to the whole world and provide information of this new technology to the developer.

The change will be not happen at once. It will take at least 2 years and this year is THE FIRST YEAR for the change.

Easy to say it but unfortunately there is no evidence to back it up.
  • Reply 62 of 436
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

And ,again, this is not inside information and I never signed NDA from APPLE.

Then what is it ?
  • Reply 63 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    NEW OS X 10.4

New point will be following items.

- QuickTime7

This will be the key announcement for the future products.

Also , the new architecture will be very portable.

The meaning of portable is that it can be usable in other platform such as iPOD and other , which I will talk later.

Current iPOD is not actually working with Quicktime. It was using MP3 and AAC format music file playback fuction of chip set in the iPOD. And it is very limited to othe format

The future iPOD class will be QuickTime7 compatible.

During WWDC, there is sevral important session for Quicktime.

June 30.

QuickTime and Digital Media State of the Union

Quote:

Over a decade ago, the digital media revolution began with the advent of QuickTime. Today, QuickTime powers the industry's best media tools including Apple's own suite of innovative applications, and the world's best content is being created and delivered with QuickTime. From workflow to delivery, QuickTime has you covered. This session will discuss the latest industry trends and technology advances, and will kick off the QuickTime and Digital Media track.

- This will be general introduction for QuickTime7

An Introduction to Digital Media

Quote:

The key to making great digital video is understanding how it works. Come and learn the building blocks of digital media with topics such as SD vs. HD, 3:2 pull-down, deinterlacing, and much more. If you are a beginner or someone who could use a refresher course, this is a must-attend session.

An Overview of QuickTime Codecs

Quote:

QuickTime supports dozens of codecs. This session will present a comprehensive overview of audio and video codecs, followed by an in-depth discussion of the codecs that come with QuickTime. Learn about the unique strengths of each codec, so you can determine which to use for your own particular needs.

- This session will explane importance of New MPEG-4 AV & MPEG-2 TS format. Also APPLE will explane the importance of 720/24P mode.

QuickTime for the Web

Quote:

This information-packed session will cover basic and advanced techniques for using QuickTime on your web pages. Topics will include the easiest and most effective ways to embed QuickTime in a page, techniques that work cross-platform and cross-browser, how to use the EMBED and OBJECT tags, scripting the QuickTime plug-in and ActiveX controls with JavaScript, launching QuickTime from a text link, and much more.

- In this seesion, ActiveX controls with JavaScript, launching QuickTime from a text link is the new way to open quicktime file in other than PC device.

July 1st

Enhanced Learning with QuickTime

Quote:

QuickTime can help you create and deliver engaging instructional content. Learn how Brigham Young University uses QuickTime for authoring online lectures, captioning and indexing online video, and delivering rich educational media to a wide audience. Discover what QuickTime can do for you in your enterprise or educational institution.

- In this session, It will provide the new way to use QuickTime in PC, Mac and NEW PORTABLE Device.
  • Reply 64 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    So this time Apple is not going to buy SGI anymore?
  • Reply 65 of 436
    Quote:

- In this session, It will provide the new way to use QuickTime in PC, Mac and NEW PORTABLE Device.

None of the quotes above seems to indicate anything interesting.

The last statement probably PC, Mac and iPod? Then it make sense. Apple might actually open up iPod for development purpose (its $400 computer).
  • Reply 66 of 436
    July 1st

Advanced Final Cut Pro HD 4

Quote:

With over 300 new features included in Final Cut Pro HD 4, this session will focus on topics such as advanced effects and editing techniques, color keying, color correction, media management, and audio finishing. Also learn the tips, tricks, and timesaving secrets from the pros for complete proficiency.

- During this cource, APPLE will explane the reason for 720/24P Editing and also how FinalCutPro became THE MOST important application for NEW device.

Mobile Content Production

Quote:

Professional mobile content services are a viable business in the U.S. and abroad. Attend this session to learn tips and techniques for editing and encoding multimedia for mobile downloading or streaming, using a variety of tools available in today's market.

- When you think Mobile, Do you think Mobile Phone ?

No. New APPLE device will be using this too.

Mobile Content Delivery

Quote:

From video mail to advanced professional multimedia services, come hear from industry leaders in telecommunications about how mobile data services are integrated, delivered, billed, and managed from the inside out.

- The important word are "integrated, delivered, billed, and managed"

What this can be ?

July 2nd

QuickTime Interactivity

Quote:

QuickTime is not just linear audio and video; it provides a robust architecture for interactive experiences. This session will discuss all interactive media types in QuickTime and how to create them. We will also present ideas on how to use them effectively in a relevant way.

- Also with new device.

Media Event Production: WWDC 2004 Case Study

Quote:

Learn techniques for planning and executing large-event media encoding from this inside look into the production of Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference. From the daily use of media at the event to online distribution of WWDC sessions, this presentation will feature the latest in tools and equipment for large-scale media production.

- This will explane new service that APPLE will provide in near future and How people can make use of the service.

Mobile Experts: An Industry Overview

Quote:

What is the status of high-speed mobile networks, services, and handsets today throughout the world, and how does multimedia play a key role? How will these platforms evolve over the coming months and years? This session provides you with an overview of the latest in mobile technologies and user trends from expert analysts in telecommunications and media.

- Key word :

high-speed mobile networks: 3G Mobile Phone, New device with Wi-Fi LAN

services : 3G Mobile Phone Service , New service from APPLE with wide area Wi-Fi LAN.

How will these platforms evolve over the coming months and years?: New way for APPLE's future product.
  • Reply 67 of 436
    Combined all these you will get a video iPod with HD screen size with WIFI that streams QuickTime media over the air. I highly doubt it. But you probably might get 1 or 2 right from all those random quotes though.
  • Reply 68 of 436
    The summary of QuickTime7 is

1) Wide use of MPEG-4 AV in many device. And New iMac and three product which APPLE will announce will at WWDC will be using this.

2) DTV support with MPEG-2 TS. Now you will have true HTPC with MAC platform and New device will be using this too.

And this will be make HDV format as part of Quicktime.

3) New JAVA integration for New device.

YES. the Java will be key component for New device. Many of you was guessing OS X for iPOD. It will not happen to small device.

For the small device, JAVA will be used for main programing and operation as OS.

4) New use of MPEG-4 AV 720/24P format for new service.

5) For the professional market, Official support of MXF format.

If you know what this is, you are professinal video person.

And if you are real professinal video person, you should know the importance of this support.

and many more change will be there.
  • Reply 69 of 436
    occamoccam Posts: 54member
    limtc:

How about ye old set-top box? Not exactly mobile, but could use wifi a la Airport Extreme. Maybe Apple is finally introducing an HD Tivo(-like) media box that also consumes wireless (for multi-room, iMovie broadcast, etc.)?

I'd buy that and an Apple universal remote control in a jiffy.
  • Reply 70 of 436
    For the second part is very professinal 3D technology.

let's check with WWDC schedule.

June 29

Graphics and Media State of the Union
    Quote:

Mac OS X contains an industry-leading array of 2D, 3D and multimedia technologies that will make your application excel. This session will provide in-depth information on Mac OS X's graphics and audio architecture and provide the latest information on Quartz 2D, Quartz Extreme, OpenGL, and QuickTime. This session is the perfect kickoff for developers attending the Graphics and Media track.

- This will provide the information for new future professional Power MAC system.

New Developments in Quartz 2D

Quote:

Quartz 2D is the powerful 2D graphics engine in Mac OS X, with advanced features such as transparency, anti-aliasing, and PDF support. Exciting new developments in Quartz 2D will be discussed in this session along with a focus on best practices you should follow to get the most out of Quartz 2D. This session is a must see for all WWDC attendees who use 2D graphics in their applications.

- "NEW" is the key word in here. Also there is new updated support for X-window system.

Mac OS X OpenGL in Depth

Quote:

Learn the techniques and features that allow you to take full advantage of the high-performance integrated graphics pipeline in Mac OS X. This session will focus on Mac OS X's OpenGL architecture, platform-specific features, and advanced capabilities. A must for any developer new to Mac OS X or OpenGL and for those who want to stay up-to-date with the latest OS-level features.

- This will provide information about New PCI Express support and API support for high performance Workstation class application.

June 2nd

OpenGL Optimization: Best Practices

Quote:

This session focuses on techniques to optimize your application's use of OpenGL and 3D graphics hardware. A variety of optimization strategies, such as display list and vertex array optimizations, are discussed. A great session for all OpenGL developers covering the latest in high-performance graphics.

OpenGL Optimization: Live

Quote:

The ""best in class"" suite of OpenGL tools in Mac OS X helps take your application's graphics to the next performance level. In this session, Apple's OpenGL experts will work live on stage to debug OpenGL client applications and to work through real-world optimization scenarios. This session will elaborate on topics discussed in other OpenGL optimization sessions. A must-see session for all OpenGL developers.

- This will provide more detaied information about New PCI Express support and API support for high performance Workstation class application.
  • Reply 71 of 436
    New media players already go for HD and 802.11g (Airport Extreme). I thought Steve Jobs is already very clear that there will not be a mobile video player anytime soon. I think he has proven his record that when he said no-PDA, it really means no-PDA. I don't think Apple is going to compete with Elgato on its EyeHome for non-mobile Tivo-like media box.

Quote:

Originally posted by occam

limtc:

How about ye old set-top box? Not exactly mobile, but could use wifi a la Airport Extreme. Maybe Apple is finally introducing an HD Tivo(-like) media box that also consumes wireless (for multi-room, iMovie broadcast, etc.)?

I'd buy that and an Apple universal remote control in a jiffy.

• Reply 72 of 436
    Quote:

3) New JAVA integration for New device.

YES. the Java will be key component for New device. Many of you was guessing OS X for iPOD. It will not happen to small device.

For the small device, JAVA will be used for main programing and operation as OS.

So now our wireless video iPod can run Java (probably J2ME?) application. More interesting.
  • Reply 73 of 436
    To limtc: yor comment was quiet interesting.

Quote:

So you are thinking they will all switch to Tiger? I don't think so.

I just felt a little funny that why the next big thing from Apple and Sun are both codename Tiger.

- I did not know about this. Hmmm....

Quote:

QuickTime as an OS? This thread is getting more and more funny. How many existing companies will ditch their Linux and other OSes to use QuickTime? Most don't even support QuickTime as media format, not to mentioned lower level

- I did not say QuickTime as OS. What I am saying is that Quicktime became such a portable thing that other than PC & MAC will be using QuickTime in many device. M$ is trying to do same thing for WMP9&10, but it is not so successful.

And APPLE does not expect other company to follow them.

Because they DON'T CARE ! If APPLE can make only for their own, that is good enough, such as iPod.

Quote:

Every single OS out there has a front end (if it does not have, then it does not need one). Apple is not going to have an easy time asking them to implement QuickTime on top of the OS, and replace the front end.

And there isn't a QuickTime for Linux, which most embedded device use.

As I stated above, APPLE don't care about what other company to use this technology.
  • Reply 74 of 436
    To limtc:

Quote:

New media players already go for HD and 802.11g (Airport Extreme). I thought Steve Jobs is already very clear that there will not be a mobile video player anytime soon. I think he has proven his record that when he said no-PDA, it really means no-PDA. I don't think Apple is going to compete with Elgato on its EyeHome for non-mobile Tivo-like media box.

- Steve Job was clear about the problem of small size for mobile viewing.

The future iPOD will have video output capability but it use it differently/

I will explane this more in future and next generation of iPOD will not be announced at WWDC.

And "New media players already go for HD and 802.11g (Airport Extreme).".

What do you think ?

Quote:

So now our wireless video iPod can run Java (probably J2ME?) application. More interesting

What do you think?
  • Reply 75 of 436
    Summary of 3D

1) Professional 3D application support.

- Now APPLE has good hardware support and good software support.

AND the writing is on the wall! Goodbye SGI.

The new Hardware and software will provide good platform choice for Engineering Workstation & 3D CG.

For Engineering Workstation, Pro-Engineer will be the first company to show the support.

In fact PTC has already product for OS .

Pro/CONCEPT

PTC will expand their product line to OS X and APPLE will try to port other Engineering workstation application to Mac, like CATIA.

2) The Stereographic 3D capability.

New "DVI-I+DVI-I+Stereo"port has some meaning in the future. We will see the related product next year.

And there will be more change in the future for this area.
  • Reply 76 of 436
    This is for today. I will be back soon. See ya later.
  • Reply 77 of 436
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
  • Reply 78 of 436
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Thanks for the info K-man!
  • Reply 79 of 436
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

And, again, this is not inside information and I never signed NDA from APPLE.

If it's not inside info and you're not under NDA then you can, by definition, describe precisely where you obtain your information. Until you do this, your posts are worthless.
  • Reply 80 of 436
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well Kormac if you hit just %50 accuracy here I'll be happy. Many people won't understand the implications of having good QT support of MPEG2 TS or AVC yet but both are huge. A PCI ATSC Tuner card and QT MPEG2 TS support would be half the battle of getting a Mac based HD PVR. El Gato are you listening??

I would like to see Apple get into more non-computer devices. If QT gets them there faster then great. I'm expecting big things for WWDC. It's really quiet which means good things because Apple seems to be garding Tiger info like a "Tiger". If the iMac isn't announced on tuesday then a WWDC announcement sounds plausible. And that may corroborate Kormac's statement that the next iMac utilizes new Apple tech.

Less than 10 days to paydirt.

More rumors on QT7