Apple Tablet PC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Yeah, those might only be some humble store employees but they just might know more than some AI Board "pundits." heh heh. Funny how things change in a couple of days.

Imagine that! Apple goes totally off the charts and shocks the world by striking up a deal with MOTOROLA (shocking to say the least) Apple has only doing business with MOT in one way shape or form since what THEIR FOUNDING?!?! How and why would Apple proving the ability to play iTMS audio files in some new Motorola G3 phones have anything to do with Nextel phones / network and or Tablet PC's?!?!

Sorry but this doesn't add credence to the initial rumor reports:

1 - Apple would be releasing a tablet PC (about 9 to 12 months away)

Nor does it add any support to the follow-up rumor posted later (by the initial thread starter)

2 - Apple was also talking to nextel in regards to creating a pocket pc phone with the next direct connect feature.

If you're REALLY going to try to connect the 'well MOT makes Nexel Phones' as the "smoking gun" then okay but under even the slightest scrutiny if that is your only hard evidence then I just don't think you gotta case.

Does anyone else here think I'm wrong about this?

Oh and just so I don't bruise any egos:

1 - I'm not making FUN of anyone

2 - I'm simply presenting my case for MOT + iTMS does NOTHING to confirm/substantiate the rumors posted in this thread.

Dave
  • Reply 82 of 170
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

Tsk, Tsk who needs to calm down now? "Reading for Comprehension" I don't exactly how you intended this to be taken, but do not talk down to me or be so condescending. You are no better than I.

Reading for comprehension as in I was never laughing at or making fun of you and yet you (very much in error - your error) took it that way. Had you both read what I wrote *and* understood what you read you would have understood that from the start.

As of now I will put you DGNR8 and monkeyastronaut on my ignore list - life is way too short and I'm too freakin tired of you claiming I say things that I never said - first laughing at you and now me saying I'm better than you. I've never does either - got an issue with me TFB - put me on your ignore list and move on.

D
  • Reply 83 of 170
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I find it more humorous that iTunes on a phone vindicates a tablet rumor in any way at all.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I think it is funny that I am the problem when I was told some information from some one who works at APPLE!!! and just asked if any one had heard the same thing and low and behold he is just pulling my leg. So ok maby so these guy's here have been using apple longer than I have so I got smoked, then I bring up the other info he gave me about nextel and I am hinted as a rumor starter. Well first of all I thought unless there is products on the shelves all future hardware is a rumor because apple will not release any information on projected future hardware. But even with that aside what the hell. Yea I know moto has worked with apple from nearly the begining but I have never heard of them combining there efforts with a phone, thats seems like a completely new venture. And with moto making all of nextels phone (ALL THERE PHONES!!!) it looks like maby, just maby this apple sales rep might have been on to something. I see it as very intersesting that he would make a statement about nextel and a week later moto and apple are now working on phones together. Which brings me back to the origanial thred the Tablet! If people think it is not possible I am cool with that. In fact during this thread I have read some things about what Jobs had said and so very valid reasons why this wont happen. Cool... But I have not been given a valid reason to doubt the integrity of this apple employee.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    I'm not picking on you at all. Apple is doing what seems most prudent at this point. Developing software for Motorola (and who knows who else) to use on their phones. They leave all the hardware to someone else in this case and keep their cost/risk minimal while positioning for some decent rewards if the solution proves popular.

Quote:

I think it is funny that I am the problem when I was told some information from some one who works at APPLE!!! and just asked if any one had heard the same thing and low and behold he is just pulling my leg. So ok maby so these guy's here have been using apple longer than I have so I got smoked, then I bring up the other info he gave me about nextel and I am hinted as a rumor starter. Well first of all I thought unless there is products on the shelves all future hardware is a rumor because apple will not release any information on projected future hardware. But even with that aside what the hell. Yea I know moto has worked with apple from nearly the begining but I have never heard of them combining there efforts with a phone, thats seems like a completely new venture. And with moto making all of nextels phone (ALL THERE PHONES!!!) it looks like maby, just maby this apple sales rep might have been on to something. I see it as very intersesting that he would make a statement about nextel and a week later moto and apple are now working on phones together. Which brings me back to the origanial thred the Tablet! If people think it is not possible I am cool with that. In fact during this thread I have read some things about what Jobs had said and so very valid reasons why this wont happen. Cool... But I have not been given a valid reason to doubt the integrity of this apple employee.

• Reply 86 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I'm not picking on you at all. Apple is doing what seems most prudent at this point. Developing software for Motorola (and who knows who else) to use on their phones. They leave all the hardware to someone else in this case and keep their cost/risk minimal while positioning for some decent rewards if the solution proves popular.

I can respect that. Thank you.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Reading for comprehension as in I was never laughing at or making fun of you and yet you (very much in error - your error) took it that way. Had you both read what I wrote *and* understood what you read you would have understood that from the start.

As of now I will put you DGNR8 and monkeyastronaut on my ignore list - life is way too short and I'm too freakin tired of you claiming I say things that I never said - first laughing at you and now me saying I'm better than you. I've never does either - got an issue with me TFB - put me on your ignore list and move on.

D

Hehehe. Let it go, Dave. Just let it go. "thin skins and AI do NOT mix!"
  • Reply 88 of 170
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I find it more humorous that iTunes on a phone vindicates a tablet rumor in any way at all.

Personally I don't think iTunes on a phone suggests anything about a tablet, but iTunes QT videos does make the idea of portable media players more appealing and someone will get the correct form and price/performance ratio ...the question is will it be Apple.
  • Reply 89 of 170
    jaslu81jaslu81 Posts: 39member
    Steve has said that Apple will not sell a tablet computer and I believe him. On the other hand, it seems obvious that Apple will develop video based iPod devices. The first ones will focus on photos and later on video since we all expect a iTunes-like movie store at some point. Photos can get by on a relatively small color screen and I would not be surprised if a new $499 color iPod with 60 GB drives shows up sometime this fall. The 4G can handle photos and my guess is that iPhoto for Windows will be part of that release.

Video on small screens is worthless so I would expect future video devices to have 7"+ screens, opening the door for basic tablet-like functionality much like today's iPod provides basic PDA functionality. Since the competition is moving forward with video devices, I would expect Apple to respond when Tiger and iLife 2005 are released in the first half of 2005. They probably need the H.264 codec, a new iApp for video management, a video store, and Windows compatibility for everything. Seems like a lot to accomplish!
  • Reply 90 of 170
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Apple's lack of support for nextel is the same reason the rest of the world DOESN'T support nextel. Everybody hates an ASSHOLE on his two way walki-talki. There's about 3 small groups of people who "could" be canidates one of them being construction workers. There's no good reason for any asshole to "BEEP. HEY WHAT YOU DOING MAN?" so that everyone within 30 feet has the pleasure of listening to your conversation. Nextel isn't supported because people at Apple personally hate them. People at most companies hate nextel. I know several large companies that BAN nextel on their campuses. If you really need to use a walki-talki in a legit field then I'm sure that job would provide something specifically for that purpose. Amazing how adding "backpeddling" walki-talki feature suddenly makes a company "cool". Nextel pigbacks off everyone elses towers and resells it to you as "business" when really it's jut the business of reselling. f*ck nextel, and YES i've had their service.

Quote:

Tsk, Tsk who needs to calm down now? "Reading for Comprehension" I don't exactly how you intended this to be taken, but do not talk down to me or be so condescending. You are no better than I.

• Reply 91 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Apple's lack of support for nextel is the same reason the rest of the world DOESN'T support nextel. Everybody hates an ASSHOLE on his two way walki-talki. There's about 3 small groups of people who "could" be canidates one of them being construction workers. There's no good reason for any asshole to "BEEP. HEY WHAT YOU DOING MAN?" so that everyone within 30 feet has the pleasure of listening to your conversation. Nextel isn't supported because people at Apple personally hate them. People at most companies hate nextel. I know several large companies that BAN nextel on their campuses. If you really need to use a walki-talki in a legit field then I'm sure that job would provide something specifically for that purpose. Amazing how adding "backpeddling" walki-talki feature suddenly makes a company "cool". Nextel pigbacks off everyone elses towers and resells it to you as "business" when really it's jut the business of reselling. f*ck nextel, and YES i've had their service.

Be honest, how do you *really* feel?

That post alone will keep me happy for the rest of my workday. Thanks!
  • Reply 92 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

I Personaly think that NEXTEL phones are great. The companies I consult for couldn't live without them. Sorry you have had such a bad experiance with them. I wonder if it is not a different perception in different areas of the country. Anyway....
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Well, I think his point is that nobody cares about other people's cell phone and nextel conversations. I do find it very annoying when people won't shut their yapper and think everyone wants to listen to them at the bank or any other place while they use their nextel or cell. There are a lot of people out there with Nextels that are just show-offs. There are people who do use their nextels discretely and those aren't a problem to me.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Well, I think his point is that nobody cares about other people's cell phone and nextel conversations. I do find it very annoying when people won't shut their yapper and think everyone wants to listen to them at the bank or any other place while they use their nextel or cell. There are a lot of people out there with Nextels that are just show-offs. There are people who do use their nextels discretely and those aren't a problem to me.

I can respect what your are saying. But no matter where you are there are rude people. I have just as much distaste for those people myself. But if used properly I think they wonderful. They are not by any means for idle chat. They serve a purpose and that purpose very well.
  • Reply 95 of 170
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Getting back to the subject of this thread, here's an article on the dismal sales so far of tablet PCs:

Quote:

Lacklustre Tablet PC sales suggest no Mac version

[MacUser] 12:12

The chances of Apple introducing a tablet-style Mac appear to be slim to nothing, following the latest figures to show how the Windows-powered version has failed to make much of an impression.

Despite hefty marketing budgets when they were introduced, Tablet PCs are being outsold 100 to one by traditional notebooks, according to market analysts Canalys. Whilst 3.5 million notebooks were shipped in the EMEA region in the second quarter of this year, only 35,000 Tablet PCs were shipped.

Tablet PCs are distinguished by a display that can be rotated and laid flat so that the machine is operated by writing directly on the screen. While a special version of Windows was developed for the machines, Mac OS X already has a handwriting recognition technology, Inkwell.

However unimpressive sales and a lack of enthusiasm from Apple CEO Steve Jobs mean that anyone seeking a tablet Mac will have to settle for buying an eMate on eBay.

According Canalys the slow sales are due to the perceived extra value of a tablet not being worth the price difference. Thirty-nine per cent of Tablet resellers said that reducing the price difference would boost their sale of Tablet PCs. Meanwhile 32 per cent said that the lack of Tablet-specific applications is holding back the market, although this is unlikely to change while sales remain so low.

As Apple has previously indicated, there's no tablet in the CPU mix for them.
  • Reply 96 of 170
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    WARNING: IMPENDING THREAD DERAILMENT

Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Getting back to the subject of this thread, here's an article on the dismal sales so far of tablet PCs:

Quote:

According Canalys the slow sales are due to the perceived extra value of a tablet not being worth the price difference. Thirty-nine per cent of Tablet resellers said that reducing the price difference would boost their sale of Tablet PCs. Meanwhile 32 per cent said that the lack of Tablet-specific applications is holding back the market, although this is unlikely to change while sales remain so low.

As Apple has previously indicated, there's no tablet in the CPU mix for them.

I made a few minor changes to the quote you provided.

According disgruntled Mac fans the slow sales are due to the perceived extra value of iMac AIO not being worth the price difference. Thirty-nine per cent of iMac AIO resellers said that reducing the price difference would boost their sale of iMac AIO. Meanwhile 32 per cent said that the lack of Apple compatible applications is holding back the market, although this is unlikely to change while sales remain so low.

Before anyone gets too upset, the above modifications were done all in good fun. It just struck me as too funny not to post and the devil made me do it(to steal a quote from Flip Wilson)

DISCLAIMER: THE PRECEDING WAS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO SPAWN ENDLESS ARGUMENTS FOR OR AGAINST AIO COMPUTERS.
  • Reply 97 of 170
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    back on track:

from el reg
  • Reply 98 of 170
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

back on track:

from el reg

What if the tablet is the imac?

17" doesn't seem too big to fit in ones lap.

15" surely.
  • Reply 99 of 170
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    maybe, but something is coming
  • Reply 100 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

What if the tablet is the imac?

It is getting that way, isn't it?

I believe that Apple really, really wants a home computer to not appear to be a home computer (but still have that option). And loading up an iMac with a Simple Finder running iLife is one way to do it. We all hear about how Apple buried Unix under OS X, might Apple be looking to bury the desktop even further?

Could the newest G5 iMac be Apple's next Digital Lifestyle Device?