OFFICIAL NFL thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 278
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I loved it when McCartney's lip sync was off and he didn't know what to do so he started to do a little hoedown jig...hilarious!
  • Reply 262 of 278
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Once again, those announcers sucked...could they kiss the patriots butt any more?

The Pats are freaking good maan...the Iggles has plenty of chances to win but they shot themselves in the foot toooo many times...and NE did what they had to do, less turnovers and protect the ball...

Hey if you want to be the best you have to play and beat the best...

What really ticked me off was the fact that the national sports media didn't even give the Iggles a chance to compete...Even with all the ridiculous things they did wrong in the game they were still in the game till the next to last play....

Hey, if you're a REAL iggles fan, be disappointed...wait a few days...suck it up and look forward to mini-camp....

PEACE!!!!
  • Reply 263 of 278
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I have nothing against the Patriots, but I don't like how Fox commentators kept hyping them as a "dynasty." I'm not sure that's the right way to describe a couple of successful seasons.
  • Reply 264 of 278
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    The announcers only kissed the Patriot's asses after the Pats were pretty much guaranteed to win near the end. Until then, they were all Eagles asskissers.

Same old Fox bullshit, where they are biased towards the Yankees until Boston starts to win, then it's ass kiss time.
  • Reply 265 of 278
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    First, I agree about the announcers. It was shameful. Now, the game:

The majority of the blame for Eagles loss must go to two men: Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. McNabb played like a rookie. He missed easy throws and made horrendus decsions. Worsre, he didn't lead. The self-described "Captain of the Ship" SUNK the ship. At the end of game, he was feeling so sorry for himself that he wasn't even running a hurry up offense. I sat there in awe as they huddled and walked to the line with less than three minutes left. The Eagles had there share of bad breaks and mistakes (like the touchdown pass Lito Shepard allowed to go sailing over his head), but McNabb was flat...and just plain bad. As for Reid, his play calling went back to conservative. He showed no intensity. Why did HE allow the team to huddle at the end? What was with running it up the middle all the time?

All in all, the Eagles beat themselves. Neither team played very well, but the Eagles played worse.
  • Reply 266 of 278
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I have nothing against the Patriots, but I don't like how Fox commentators kept hyping them as a "dynasty." I'm not sure that's the right way to describe a couple of successful seasons.

I disagree. The Patriots are a dynasty. When you win 3 superbowls in 4 years in today's climate, you are a dynasty.

I think most announcers tend to over aplogize for the underdog and it comes off like brown nosing.

Eric
  • Reply 267 of 278
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I didn't have a problem with all the dynasty talk. I just don't know why these guys are considered Fox's "A" team of football announcers. They just don't get the big picture. Philly complete two passes, and suddenly they're steamrolling. The Pats have a good series of plays, and suddenly the Eagles D looks like its out of gas. They forget anything more than 2 or 3 plays into the past, or else they remember 2 or 3 plays out of the entire game and consider that the game. They brag about what a good game McNabb had because he had a lot of passing yards, forgetting that they couldn't run on the Pats and that McNabb was sacked any number of times, his footwork was bad, he turned the ball over 3 or 4 times, and he had no touch on the ball. They don't know the rules. They miss reasons why plays are called the way they are.

They're bad analysts. Especially Collinsworth. The only reason they have him in there is because they think he's another Howard Cossell type with strong opinions to make the booth more, uh, energetic. But at least Cossell knew what he was talking about. Collinsworth kept raving about the Pats secondary, but they were uneven all night, as would be expected of those young players. He can't see what's in front of him.

I should add that Owens actually had a very good game, except for no touchdowns. For a guy who was definitely still injured (and juiced up with pain killers), he made at least 2 big grabs that he should not have been able to catch. No one else on the Eagles stepped up really. Even Kearse and Trotter were silent.
  • Reply 268 of 278
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

3 super bowl victories in 4 years? Yes its a dynasty win you kick everyones butt year after year.....iam a Miami fan by the way with no love. Give credit where its do. good thing they have 10 fingers to hold all those rings. Philly came close but thats it.
  • Reply 269 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

dude, i'm not a huge fan of either team (i guess i lean slightly to the patriots, since i was a fan for their season when they got demolished by the bears), but win three super bowls in four years in this era? utterly insane. way more than just a "couple of successful season." and the only year they didn't make it was the super bowl "hangover" year, where a lot of folks intoxicated with their first win thought it was a lock for the playoffs at least. and this time, there are no "well, they didn't face the BEST of the nfc this year." the year the rams got past the eagles, the eagles were considered at least peer level if not higher, and the panthers were considered a fluke (though if they can avoid the injuries they had this year NEXT season, they should destroy the falcons and the division), but this year, no excuses. the eagles came with everything they could, AND a huge day for owens, AND jevon kearse added to the defense. the patriots will keep winning until they mentally decide to start losing. simple as that.

but whatever. people were talking the same way about the cowboys and 49ers back in the 80's and 90's, and i couldn't stand either team, and the talk was just as bad. the difference here seems to be that the cowboys were loaded with players that were supposed to win championships. michael irvin, troy aikman and emmitt smith were all first round draft choices. brady was the drew bledsoe never-supposed-to-play backup, corey dillon was the good but slightly past-his-prime running back castoff from a losing franchise, the secondary lost arguably its best defensive back a couple years ago to a divisional rival, and still held it together.

i will be very interested to see what happens next year without romeo crennel (sp?) there. the defense will obviously go through shifting again, just like last year, but they'll only have bellichik to keep everyone in check.
  • Reply 270 of 278
    Most of the ESPN commentators--Steve Young, Tom Jackson, Ron Jawarski--picked the Eagles to win. I was surprised that Michael Irvin picked the Pats, since he's picked against the Pats in every other game.

But I agree--Fox sucks.
  • Reply 271 of 278
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Now Cowboys in the 90's, that was a dynasty.
  • Reply 272 of 278
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    ^Yeah-- I'm a Bills fan.
  • Reply 273 of 278
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Now Cowboys in the 90's, that was a dynasty.

I agree, too.

There's an argument out there that because the Pats and Dallas both won 3 titles in 4 years they're on the same level but I don't buy it.

Dynasties to me are DOMINANT, and New England is just the best team right now, and not by much.

People hardly mention the fact they didn't make the playoffs after their first Superbowl.

J
  • Reply 274 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I agree, too.

There's an argument out there that because the Pats and Dallas both won 3 titles in 4 years they're on the same level but I don't buy it.

Dynasties to me are DOMINANT, and New England is just the best team right now, and not by much.

People hardly mention the fact they didn't make the playoffs after their first Superbowl.

J

Let me start by saying, and without laughs, I am a Bears fan.

The Patriots are a dynasty and they have done it with Free Agency which makes it even tougher because they are not garunteed to have the great players year and year.

Would you call The Patriots winning 21 straight games, counting the playoffs from last year, and a league-record 18 in a row in the regular season DOMINANT? Yeah, I think so!

Wins are wins. I don't see the Cowboys of the 90's holding any of the above listed records.

Please, the Patriots are a dynasty and that is a fact.

Eric
  • Reply 275 of 278
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's all downhill from here for the Pats!
  • Reply 276 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yeah, right, the pats aren't a dynasty. they just beat a 15-1 team, and the all-time touchdown leader, while beating an eagles team that had everything from the last two years that should have been there, plus terrell owens and jevon kearse, while racking up a record number of consecutive wins this year. uh-huh. right. so sorry they didn't beat their opponents by ENOUGH. even compared to the revered friggin' cowboys, they are 57-16, including the postseason, the past four seasons. When the Cowboys won three of four Super Bowls from 1992-95, they were 59-16. edit: and to top it off, they did it IN THE AFC this year, not the pansy-brigade that was the NFC. i guess the only way the pats will shut people up is to do it again and again and...

i think the main reason some people hate to acknowledge what they have accomplished is that there are no really marketable names here, except the coaching staff. is brady marketable now? yes, mostly. but he's not "peyton" or "donovan." is corey dillon marketable? maybe. but he's only been here a year. he hasn't been here for years like roger craig or emmitt smith. are any of the receivers marketable and memorable? maybe deion branch, but not when you put him on the same stage as irvin and rice and such who did it for years. and what irks folks the most is that they just won't take credit for it. they don't dance. they don't showboat (well, much...). the closest i can remember to that kind of demeanor was the joe montana 49ers. they made the broncos their personal whipping boy, and jerry rice and montana and rathman and craig, stubblefield, ronnie lott, they just went out and kicked ass. (well, romanowski was all mouth...)

will they win it all next year? who knows? they don't have to apologize for anything. hell, if it weren't for my bucs, this would have been four on the floor, folks. and looking at all the teams since the cowboys that just could not recover from the super bowl hangover, well, i'm not betting against them...
  • Reply 277 of 278
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    whoa whoa whoa...first of all...let's give props to the Pats...they whipped everyone's butt WHEN IT COUNTED...but if you've been listening to the national media all year you'd see that the IGGLES haven't gotten any national recognition...if you read bewtween the lines, the national media slobbered all over Peyton and the 'record', Rothlesburger, the next Bradshaw and Vick, the next NFL marketing magnet...

between the lines, McNabb gets no respect from Aikman, Buck, Boomer and those so-called 'anal'ysts...McNabb would have to had gone 25 fo 25 with 1000 yrds, 150yds rushing just to get a bead of sweat of respect from those jerks...Peyton hasn't even come close to winning the 'BIG' game, he goes 0- for broke in the playoffs and what do those 'anal'ysts say?? not a darn thing...

can you tell i'm a homer for the Iggles? Hahahahahahaha....that's just phanatical passion for the team man...nothing phony here...

anyway, i'm already over the disappointment and looking forward to the draft in April and mini camp...

E-A-G-L-E-S EEEAAGLES!!!
  • Reply 278 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

between the lines, McNabb gets no respect from Aikman, Buck, Boomer and those so-called 'anal'ysts...McNabb would have to had gone 25 fo 25 with 1000 yrds, 150yds rushing just to get a bead of sweat of respect from those jerks...

It didn't help his case last night. I think McNabb is a good QB, better than most that have played the game, but he had a bad game last night.

Time management on his part was HORRIBLE! Was he at the super bowl in the last 3 minutes??? Any QB that has got to get down field fast, but pulls his team off the line to huttle in a no-brainer 2 minute offense situation is either dazed or conufused.

Eric