Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Shetline, It?s really not even about the money. I would of happily paid an additional 100 -200 dollars extra for a BTO video option. Apple consistently mangles the tech in their consumer line to preserve the professional essence in Powermacs. Crap like video miring only, two-year-old video cards, memory that could starve a PocketPC and lack of new tech like Firewire 800.
  • Reply 62 of 440
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The machines sold for 1300-1500 in the Wintel aisle offer a substantial increase in graphics power, base RAM, base HDD, all the same I/O, significant internal expansion options, and a display of equal quality.

The entry level lacks a superdrive

RAM and HDD sizes are half of what they should be

The AIO probelms remain

The video card is somewhat substandrad for the price, it's fine, but given that you can upgrade it ever...

FW800 is missing -- Apple should be moving all their machines to the fastest available firewire, expecially AIO's

It's got a SLOW laptop optical -- fvcking ridiculous!
  • Reply 63 of 440
    Othello,

That's the thing though; I don't have to deal with it because this thing will be hacked in a month or two by a kid. So then why does Apple purposely cripple their video cards that obviously have the ability to do spanning (say's so on NVIDIA?s website) and knowing that people are just going to change it back to it?s original manufacture spec later.

Oh, sorry, because I have to deal with it. Gotch Ya.
  • Reply 64 of 440
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Othello,

That's the thing though; I don't have to deal with it because this thing will be hacked in a month or two by a kid. So then why does Apple purposely cripple their video cards that obviously have the ability to do spanning (say's so on NVIDIA?s website) and knowing that people are just going to change it back to it?s original manufacture spec later.

Oh, sorry, because I have to deal with it. Gotch Ya.

because apple has always made a conscious split between the consumer and pro with spanning. not saying i agree but they won't change it
  • Reply 65 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by little mouse

It's beautifull! and here's how mac gamers like me will Doom 3. On low settings.

You mean low settings at 640 x 480. no wonder John Carmack said its going to be awhile because Doom3 cant be experienced on Macs like it was ment to be played. Apple should be ashamed at using the cheapist P.O.S video in all its desk top lines. FX5200 will keep many buyers away.
  • Reply 66 of 440
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Well Thinksecret was dead-on as usual...unfortunately. No good graphics cards and only 1.8 Ghz.

That said, it just looks...wow....I can't believe they got a G5 in two inches. Very impressive.
  • Reply 67 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Shetline, It?s really not even about the money. I would of happily paid an additional 100 -200 dollars extra for a BTO video option. Apple consistently mangles the tech in their consumer line to preserve the professional essence in Powermacs. Crap like video miring only, two-year-old video cards, memory that could starve a PocketPC and lack of new tech like Firewire 800.

If it's not about the money when it comes to the video, then what about the RAM? Just spend $70 a third party 512 MB stick and you'll have 768 MB -- or maybe $140 and have 1 GB, if memory has to be in matching pairs.

It does bug me that Apple deliberately cripples the capability for video mirroring -- it'd be one thing if they saved money this way, but I don't think they do save any, they just kill mirroring for "product differentiation".

At any rate, it's not enough of a problem to stop me from getting a G5 iMac or recommending one. As for the video: Look. This will never be a gamer's dream system anyway. Even with all of the whining the 64 MB FX 5200 generates around here, I really doubt that Apple would create any significant increase in sales with better video or upgradable video. I have no problem with the video myself, but then again, I'm not into gaming or FPS bragging rights.
  • Reply 68 of 440
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    John Carmack meant it cant be experienced well on mcas since it's not optimized yet. So if you got a G5 tower with a decent card it should play fine.
  • Reply 69 of 440
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by little mouse

This'll be great for sales. All of those people who like the ipod will upgrade to this, it's just as cute as the ipod. Also for the first time since the original, you can say it's a cute computer.

Actually, I kinda think that's a good strategy on Apple's part. I think they saw my numerous posts about using the iPod to sell computers, and I think it worked.
  • Reply 70 of 440
    By the way, are the iMacs available for immediate shipping or is this going to be another show the dog the juicy steak then chain him within 1 foot of reaching it.
  • Reply 71 of 440
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    BS.

You need to spend about 200USD to take the RAM and HDD sizes into competitive territory.

A 17" iMac with a spec comparable to the competition will then cost 1500-1700 !

That's unacceptable.
  • Reply 72 of 440
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    It's kinda OK I suppose \

Looks like I was on the money in Temporary Insanity ...

"1: New iMac G5? For sure! Totally new form factor. People will go nuts about its "beauty" and drool over it for a week or so then the whinging will start..."its too slow, can't upgrade it, not enough RAM" etc, etc..."

I want a G5 Powerbook!!!
  • Reply 73 of 440
    ? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs *UPGRADED

? 160GB Serial ATA drive

? AirPort Extreme Card *UPGRADED

? Bluetooth Module *UPGRADED

? Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 20-inch widescreen LCD

? 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory

Subtotal $2,253.00

Wow, hook me up!
  • Reply 74 of 440
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

It's a non-portable PowerBook G5! Great! That's just what the midrange desktop market wants

Take it positive. Though it is the best proof for the soon to be revealed Powerbook G5!!!

Well, finally, though Apple figured out to fix heat issues of that G5 beast, IF they are able to create that AIO iMac... gooood for me.
  • Reply 75 of 440
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    My $0.02.

Pricing seems good.

I'd really like them to offer the no optical drive edu-model to the public. Many folks are not going to be thrilled with the side mounted drive. Get a nice third-party DVD-burner to slip underneath. (As long as it works with iDVD.)

Video mirroring only on external monitor. Come on, Apple. The graphics card has plenty of power to drive a second monitor for semi-serious video editing and those that like lots of screen real estate. I have two monitors at work and it's very nice.

Graphics card: Yes, it's funny that Apple touts the power of the GPU when anyone with a clue knows it's a lame-o card (compared to a full-blown desktop card). I can only guess this is to appeal to the ignorant parent buyers. Apple really doesn't care about the gamer market. They crow about how much faster the new iMac is compared to the old one. Guess what. The old one was really slow. And few self-respecting gamers have the $$$ to step up to a PowerMac, much cheaper to get an Winblows box. Oh well. I just hope Apple isn't dumb enough to actually believe the iMac is a graphics powerhouse.

Optical audio: Nice. Will be interesting to see how Apple starts using the 5.1 capabilities. (Surround sound system beeps?)

It puts a clear performance gap between the laptop and desktop line. I think this is a good thing. But I don't think this machine will make PowerBook buyers too happy. They're now paying a $1000+ premium for a slower machine with the same screen resolution - but with DVI out, and FW800.

Not a bad machine. Not great, but not bad.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 76 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

John Carmack meant it cant be experienced well on mcas since it's not optimized yet. So if you got a G5 tower with a decent card it should play fine.

True but since this is a imac thread does anyone think Doom3 will play on this without stuttering? there are plenty of reviews of how Doom3 looks on FX5200 on faster PCs and it isnt pretty. Apple could have least thrown in a mobility 9700 or something. not even a option for better video? 64 mb is pretty old these days. I will confess for the non gamer its very sweet.
  • Reply 77 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

I want a G5 Powerbook!!!

You and me both brother.
  • Reply 78 of 440
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

You and me both brother.

Damn right! Something thats properly portable and a lot nicer to look at. Keep your new iMac, I wouldn't mind going into debt to get a Powerbook G5
  • Reply 79 of 440
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Oh, wait, Apple says that you can. Now the question is how .

Uh...you don't need a high-end rig to run Doom3, it's just the elitists that say that Doom3 is only worth playing on Ultra settings. Doom 3 will run fine on a 5200 on Low settings, and before you laugh, these are what low settings look like:

Also, for people who don't like the new iMac's looks: look at a Quicktime VR first. Seriously, the photos don't flatter, but the VR does.
  • Reply 80 of 440
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member

When the first iMac came out there was a round hole on the side door to run the cables through. I remember that at resellers the set ups failed to put them through the hole. Look here! Geez!!!!!!