Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 121 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

So it's not WYSIWYG?

No, it's not. Apple computers are much nicer in person . Well, at least the more recent models, and especially what comes in white.
  • Reply 122 of 440
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but if this wasn't a test run for a G5 powerbook design, then i'll eat my hat. move that screen off the front into a flip-up screen, and you remove half that thickness for the screen, necessary cables, and whatever mojo they've constructed to keep the G5 from boiling the lcd.

now they just have to take the lessons they learned with the imac G5, and shave off another lil' bit o' thickness, and you've got the powerbook G5. (p.s. please, any hardware engineers on these boards, don't kill me for making it sound so easy...)

i'm kinda surprised there's no 2.0 GHz single to be found. i mean, would an extra 200 MHz been that hard to handle, engineering-wise, or is it a matter of chip supply? also, sooner or later they are going to have to do something to accommodate faster video cards, and i don't think either ATi or nVidia are really concerned about making their cards any smaller any time soon. hell, my geforce4 ti is a friggin' TANK.

still not sure if i LIKE the design, but i am IMPRESSED by its engineering. time will tell if people vote with their dollars...
  • Reply 123 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Doesn't this make the PoerMacs and LCD displays now look really quite expensive???

Or you can tell that the new iMacs are a very good deal. But don't tell Matsu .
  • Reply 124 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

No, it's not. Apple computers are much nicer in person . Well, at least the more recent models, and especially what comes in white.

Agreed, but the white Mac?s (racist pig) gets scratched to easy, looks great out of the box and the first few months. Later it looks like the Mac to a sponge bath with a Brio Pad. \
  • Reply 125 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by rambovi

Any thoughts on why Apple isn't including Firewire 800 on the new iMac?

For the time being, it looks like FW 800 makes part of the Professional/Consumer differentiation feature list. But I believe it will come with time.
  • Reply 126 of 440
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm lost for words. I can't believe that Apple has released that thing.

It's a pizza box mounted on a ring-pull.

And what's with the big Jimmy Hill chin? Surely they could have come up with a more elegant design than that?

I can't see who's going to buy this product. There can only be so many people that are willing to pay WAY over the odds for a well designed machine that isn't well designed.
  • Reply 127 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

time will tell if people vote with their dollars...

Ahh, your voting for Bush to.
  • Reply 128 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

And what's with the big Jimmy Hill chin?

Pssst, no one knows who Jimmy Hill is outside of Europe. This is an American board.
  • Reply 129 of 440
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I posted this in previous thread but it still holds true I think...

You have got to be kidding me! This is what the wait was for? This is the best Apple could do? I mean lets look at this realisticly, Org iMac Incredible design for it's day. iMac Gen 2 Incredible design that set new standards in computer design. G4 Powermacs turned a bland box into (I think) another peace of furniture. Now look at the designs comming out of Apple. A tower that is oversized that looks like a cheese grater. And now an iMac that looks like something a PC builder would come up with. The tech behind the new G5 iMac, bad ass. The Design, what a joke. Could they have made it any more plain and ugly to look at especialy after the G4 iMac. And to think I waited to get this. Well I guess I get the Powermac chesse greater. S**T !!!!!!!
  • Reply 130 of 440
    I am just jawdropped at this, it is amazing.

It's funny, you can basically tell that the ACDs were meant to be announced along with these iMacs at WWDC.
  • Reply 131 of 440
    Quote:

Apparently Apple thought this was to much value for the useless swine of a consumer who can't afford a real Mac, the Powermac that is.
  • Reply 132 of 440
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Pssst, no knows who Jimmy Hill is outside of Europe. This is an American board.

Actually, I do and I agree. What is with that chin!
  • Reply 133 of 440
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Where are the expo pictures of the iMac?
  • Reply 134 of 440
    I think it looks great...but why put a powerhouse cpu in it, then give it a horribly old GPU? i mean, not even industry standard 128MB ram!! The 5200 is very long in tooth and can't handle any current games at a decent resolution and with any anti-aliasing options. Well, Apple strikes out with this one, they should have put a better GPU in, at bare minimum a 9600pro/xt. They have limited this CPU to a web browsing/digital media computer. No gamer in his/her right mind would buy the iMac G5 since the graphical requirements of todays games are far beyond that of what the 5200 Ultra can handle. I'm sure Doom 3 will eventually be out for mac, but when it does will anyone have a computer that will be to handle it (no)...even the Powermacs are coming with the lowly 9600XT.(which is a sub $150 card in the PC world.) Such is why as a Mac user for many many years I have built my own PC for gaming...Mac's simply aren't any competition.
  • Reply 135 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

NOT (in reference to the new iMac at $1299)

rather in reference to the specification at 1299. No superdrive, half the industry standard RAM and HDD size for machines in the same price range. You could get away with one or the other of those, but not both.

Addressing the RAM/HDD inequity will cost you 200, so the real cost of entry is now 1500 for a superdriveless model, and 1700 for a superdrive model.

Unnacceptable.

It will sell well to macheads for the first quarter, then tapper off, same as the sunflower.

Apple better be holding some significant updates for the next rev, if they don't plan on touching the 17" model's price.

Needs AT LEAST 512MB of RAM and 120GB hdd at that price, and more like 160 by the time Apple get's around to it (at least 3 months, more like 6 or 9!)

Look at the ridiculous premium for getting your 512MB BTO in one slot!

Once the macheads get theirs, this model ain't going anywhere unless they make some changes.

Dell Dimension 4600

P4 2.8GHz

Win XP Pro

256MB DDR SDRAM <-- same

80GB Ultra ATA HDD <-- same (iMac probably better off with SATA)

Dual drives DVD-ROM and CDRW

128MB GeForce FX 5200 <-- more memory than iMac

Added speakers (cheapest ones)

Firewire (had to add this for $50)

17" Ultrasharp flat panel

Free printer

$1287 with discounts

The iMac stacks up well against this for a very similar price with a *much* better software package.

Also Sony V series AIO

2.6GHz P4

Integrated SIS graphics w/32MB shared memory

512MB DDR SDRAM

120GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo drive

Wireless mouse and keyboard

15" Xbrite screen

starting at...

$1499

Sony W series AIO

2.8GHz P4

Integrated SIS graphics w/32MB shared memory

512MB DDR SDRAM

200GB Ultra ATA drive

DVD±RW / CD-RW Drive

17.5" LCD

15" Xbrite screen

Starting at...

$1999

The new iMac is fine (not perfect but fine) and some of you are mixing up fantasy with reality of actual retail PC prices. People often mix "build it yourself" prices with those of actual off the shelf prices you would pay at CompUSA/Bestbuy/Circuit City or even off the web (where I just got these prices).

Check out those nice *Non upgradeable* graphics Sony offers.

I'm sure with more effort I could find some cheaper ones but overall I picked decent (as decent as PCs get) examples.
  • Reply 136 of 440
    Quote:

Wait how's this, "Apple Employee: Sir we have a problem were only making 60% percent margin on the new iMacs", "Apple Manager: Quick get rid of something else, loose that $1.50 update to firewire 800."
  • Reply 137 of 440
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I posted this in previous thread but it still holds true I think...

You have got to be kidding me! This is what the wait was for? This is the best Apple could do? I mean lets look at this realisticly, Org iMac Incredible design for it's day. iMac Gen 2 Incredible design that set new standards in computer design. G4 Powermacs turned a bland box into (I think) another peace of furniture. Now look at the designs comming out of Apple. A tower that is oversized that looks like a cheese grater. And now an iMac that looks like something a PC builder would come up with. The tech behind the new G5 iMac, bad ass. The Design, what a joke. Could they have made it any more plain and ugly to look at especialy after the G4 iMac. And to think I waited to get this. Well I guess I get the Powermac chesse greater. S**T !!!!!!!

i REALLY like it and i'm considering to get one!

the imac is by far the best "good looking" "pc" i've ever seen. just because you don't like it, doesn't mean anyone likes it...

as for the chin, well, in fact i would prefer one more inch thick for less chin...
  • Reply 138 of 440
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    As with the sunflower design, it seems to be a love it/hate it thing.

Personally, I really like it. It's not as novel as the Sunflower (a design that i love), but it's smooth, clean and it takes up very, very little desk space.

Does it accomplish what it needs to accomplish? For me, yes. And i think it probably accomplishes what Apple want it to accomplish.

It is designed, it seems, to be a companion to iLife, the iPod and the digital hub generally. It will run all those apps, and all the other apps that people will use on it. No design professional is going to buy the iMac. It's not aimed at them, the PowerMac is.

consoles. I have all three major consoles and they are where i play most of my games.

So, the iMac will be perfect for me, and the many other people like me. We can use iLife, we can run general use apps and office suites. We can transfer movies from DV cams and experiment with FC Express. And, at the end of the day, we can play games. Most people are not hardcore gamers. They buy a game, take it out of the box and they play it on the default or automatically set settings. At these low

At the moment I have an Athlon (barton) 3000 based XP system with 1gb of ram and a 9800 Pro 128mb. I built that to play games on (bearing in mind when i built it, it was top spec). However, nowadays, 'computer' gaming is falling by the wayside, giving ground up to the settings, the iMac G5 will be perfectly fine.

This has turned into a long post, and is a bit long winded i think, but my point remains. For the consumer market, this system suits it's purpose very very well.

Yes, it could be better. But people that want more, there is the 1.8 PowerMac.
  • Reply 139 of 440
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Where are the expo pictures of the iMac?

Here's some from MacNN boards:

http://homepage.mac.com/morgan68/App...toAlbum31.html
  • Reply 140 of 440
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    Well I wasn't too impressed at first, later on thought if was pretty good. I'm now warming up to the fact that the new Imac G5 rocks. Best looking computer i've ever seen.

Stop looking at the numbers, It will be a great experience working/playing with one.

Viktor