Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 101 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I agree with you. A imac G5 20 inch will be a nice christmas gift. I am sick of my G4 533 : too much noise (my wife hate it).

My "wife's" old eMac* is very noisy, even noiser than other eMacs that came out later. Since her eMac shares home office space with my own Mac, replacing it for Christmas would be a bit of a gift to myself as well.

*The emac I mentioned before, now remembering it was only two years ago that I paid nearly the same $1300 that buys new G5 iMac for it. $1300 for a 700 MHz G4/40GB/15" CRT then, vs. a 1.6 GHz G5/80GB/17" widescreen LCD now!

Much nicer looking and less than half the weight isn't a bad bonus either.
  • Reply 102 of 440
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    In before lock.

(Ha ha, remember that?)
  • Reply 103 of 440
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Anyone else notice that it's wall mountable using the VESA kit?

Not really sure how this would come in handy in a home environment though.

I was pretty close on my prediction...(wall mountable)...unfortunately, the CPU is part of that detachment. Which meant the price did not hit the desired $1000 mark w/o display...but at $1299 w/display, it's not that far off.
  • Reply 104 of 440
    ahhhh, I dont know - its as ugly to me as the old imacs.
  • Reply 105 of 440
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    The call is for HEADLESS! Apple gives us bodyless?

Although I am NOT in the "Target Market" for this third swing by Apple at AIO, I do hope that the presumed iPod "Halo Effect" does indeed come through for this product.

The white design indicates to me that Apple is directly targeting the the tailcoats of the three and a half million iPod owners out there. Hey it could work! Think of it as the perfect accessory for the iPod!

I would have like to seen an external power supply like my Cube has, making possible a smaller bottom bezel and (subjectively) better aesthetics. Heck now that I look at my Cube's power supply, I'd buy it as a headless G5:

• Reply 106 of 440
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

When the first iMac came out there was a round hole on the side door to run the cables through. I remember that at resellers the set ups failed to put them through the hole. Look here! Geez!!!!!!

Actually with the original iMacs, there were gaps below the door to run the cables; the hole was just to open the door (I have an iMac 333 sitting next to me).

Anyway, for the new iMac: A-.

For some reason, the lack of FW800 irks me, and I can't believe the built-in speakers will sound all that great (though SoundSticks won't look too out-of-place next to it).

When my father looks to upgrade his G4/933 in a couple years, I'll be steering him to this.

MWSF 2005: iMac 23" for $2299
  • Reply 107 of 440
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    You have got to be kidding me! This is what the wait was for? This is the best Apple could do? I mean lets look at this realisticly, Org iMac Incredible design for it's day. iMac Gen 2 Incredible design that set new standards in computer design. G4 Powermacs turned a bland box into (I think) another peace of furniture. Now look at the designs comming out of Apple. A tower that is oversized that looks like a cheese grater. And now an iMac that looks like something a PC builder would come up with. The tech behind the new G5 iMac, bad ass. The Design, what a joke. Could they have made it any more plain and ugly to look at especialy after the G4 iMac. And to think I waited to get this. Well I guess I get the Powermac chesse greater. S**T !!!!!!!
  • Reply 108 of 440
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OMG u can't upgrade teh video card!

OMG u can't play Count3r-Strik3!

I feel as if I am reading a PC forum.\
  • Reply 109 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

The call is for HEADLESS! Apple gives us bodyless?

Uh huh, uhh huhu huhu, you said, "head"!
  • Reply 110 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

Actually with the original iMacs, there were gaps below the door to run the cables; the hole was just to open the door (I have an iMac 333 sitting next to me).

Anyway, for the new iMac: A-.

For some reason, the lack of FW800 irks me, and I can't believe the built-in speakers will sound all that great (though SoundSticks won't look too out-of-place next to it).

When my father looks to upgrade his G4/933 in a couple years, I'll be steering him to this.

MWSF 2005: iMac 23" for $2299

MWSF 2005: 15 or 17 inch Powerbook G5 with the Sims 2 for mac

as for the new iMac- sexy but not that sexy...

graphics card anyone?
  • Reply 111 of 440
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    These iMacs are a great price, under £1000 inc VAT with a 17" LCD is great, just a pity about no option of a graphics card, but for who it is intended to sell to, this is great, interesting how the FSB speeds are lower than they are in the Powermacs that have the same processors. Guess this is due to heat?
  • Reply 112 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Why don't the pics on Apples site ever look as good as in person or the one you show?

As far as I know, the pictures on Apple's site are not exact digital photos of the actual product.
  • Reply 113 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

You have got to be kidding me! This is what the wait was for? This is the best Apple could do? I mean lets look at this realisticly, Org iMac Incredible design for it's day. iMac Gen 2 Incredible design that set new standards in computer design. G4 Powermacs turned a bland box into (I think) another peace of furniture. Now look at the designs comming out of Apple. A tower that is oversized that looks like a cheese grater. And now an iMac that looks like something a PC builder would come up with. The tech behind the new G5 iMac, bad ass. The Design, what a joke. Could they have made it any more plain and ugly to look at especialy after the G4 iMac. And to think I waited to get this. Well I guess I get the Powermac chesse greater. S**T !!!!!!!

What kind of design were you looking for in the iMac? Also being from Switzerland I'm kind of fondu of the cheese greater look.
  • Reply 114 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

As far as I know, the pictures on Apple's site are not exact digital photos of the actual product.

So it's not WYSIWYG?
  • Reply 115 of 440
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yeah and they should be. It is always amazing to see them in person. But you should get some more of that feeling online.

I'm ordering this morning. Deciding on 17 or 20. Probably a loaded 17.
  • Reply 116 of 440
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

To you. Probably unacceptable to a lot of people -- most of whom wouldn't consider a Mac at any price anyway. But it's not unacceptable to me. It's probably not unacceptable to a lot of people who wouldn't buy a G4 iMac before, but who will buy this new G5.

This iMac isn't going to be a breakthrough switcher product, but I don't think it's meant to be. I predict the G5 iMac will be a hit, however, at least in comparison to the previous G4 models.

NOT (in reference to the new iMac at $1299)

rather in reference to the specification at 1299. No superdrive, half the industry standard RAM and HDD size for machines in the same price range. You could get away with one or the other of those, but not both.

Addressing the RAM/HDD inequity will cost you 200, so the real cost of entry is now 1500 for a superdriveless model, and 1700 for a superdrive model.

Unnacceptable.

It will sell well to macheads for the first quarter, then tapper off, same as the sunflower.

Apple better be holding some significant updates for the next rev, if they don't plan on touching the 17" model's price.

Needs AT LEAST 512MB of RAM and 120GB hdd at that price, and more like 160 by the time Apple get's around to it (at least 3 months, more like 6 or 9!)

Look at the ridiculous premium for getting your 512MB BTO in one slot!

Once the macheads get theirs, this model ain't going anywhere unless they make some changes.
  • Reply 117 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

What kind of design were you looking for in the iMac? Also being from Switzerland I'm kind of fondu of the cheese greater look.

Hmm, fondue au fromage...
  • Reply 118 of 440
    Any thoughts on why Apple isn't including Firewire 800 on the new iMac? Professional/Consumer division aside, a faster, better connection should be universally deployed if Apple wants anyone to think seriously about supporting it.
  • Reply 119 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I'm ordering this morning. Deciding on 17 or 20. Probably a loaded 17.

If you care for your eyes and price is not a problem, go for the 20". It has a much better display. Check out the specifications in Apple's site.
  • Reply 120 of 440
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Doesn't this make the PoerMacs and LCD displays now look really quite expensive??? I know they're Dual processor etc but still, that's only another £150 say, plus witht he iMac you get a 17" LCD... \