Latest Tiger builds sport new QuickTime controls, iCal 1.6, Font Book 2.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Groups in iTunes is a great idea.

I've never thought of it, but have sat frustrated at the long list of Playlists and sorting mine out from the families.

I really like that idea.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

ALL I WANT APPLE is the option to have alarms automatically set on new appointments. As a busy exec, I don't always have ical in front of me. I need a reminder.

Great idea! Have added it to our Apple Mac OS X Wish List.

So now other people can see the idea and request it too.

Add other ideas if you wish.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 23 of 82
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

Groups in iTunes is a great idea.

iPhoto album groups would also be appreciated.

I don't need to see all my playlists and albums all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

iPhoto album groups would also be appreciated.

I don't need to see all my playlists and albums all the time.

Godd ideas! Have added it to our Apple Mac OS X Wish List.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepkid

It would be great to have an entire desktop theme based on the look of those QT controls. Apple should at least make the QT player interface in that style... Maybe some third party type is reading this?

There was a kaleidoscope theme that did the quicktime interface. I used it for a while and rather liked it:

http://24.222.140.171/Graphics/Desktops/desktop2.jpg
  • Reply 26 of 82
    still no ability to set up meeting invites or exchange integration in ical, this is a big one for corporate use, does the .mac sharing allow changes to be made on a "client" computer and then through syncing reflect the change on the original host computer?

ex: computer 1 i set meeting and share it with 3 other computers. one of the others needs to change the time of said meeting. will this reflect on computer 1?

curious

zen
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

There was a kaleidoscope theme that did the quicktime interface. I used it for a while and rather liked it:

http://24.222.140.171/Graphics/Desktops/desktop2.jpg

If someone did this using the QT controls seen in that Incredibles screen grab, would be fab.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    One Idea I that popped into my head RE: iCal would be to add a day counter w/ counting features.. for example.. how many mondays are left till my birthday. or How many days till a project is due. I'm sure we all can manually count but with added features I think it would be pretty handy..

flick.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Just like most people must think Windows Media Player on Mac is fine.

Come now...who thinks that?

Quote:

Actually, WMP:mac is fine, for most purposes.

Ack! Are you insane? I have yet to find any WMV file that a) doesn't look like ass when played on the Mac, b) can actually be scrubbed through in anything approaching real-time, c) can even be jumped-to an arbitrary location without waiting much too long, and d) can play back without skipping at large sizes even on a dual 2GHz G5. Oh, and audio almost always goes out of sync with the video if you scrub or jump around.

It is a horrible, vile piece of software. AND it won't play "WM9" video, despite being called "Windows Media Player 9 for Mac" (although I'm sure it wouldn't be able to play it at full framerate anyway). It helpfully brings up a web page for me to download "Windows Media 9" though. Gee, thanks!

QT for windows is much better.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Since this is a thread about Tiger, I thought I'd chuck in a really small feature request. A request I assume would be quite easy to implement.

When one right clicks the Trash in the Dock, and the contextual menu appears, with "Empty Trash", a list of the files in the Trash can be seen as well, much like when you right click a folder in the Dock, (except this list is greyed out as you can't open files in the Trash).

This way, you can confirm the contents of the Trash before you click the "Empty Trash" menu item.

Thanks in advance, Apple. You're a bunch of champions! m.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

When one right clicks the Trash in the Dock, and the contextual menu appears, with "Empty Trash", a list of the files in the Trash can be seen as well, much like when you right click a folder in the Dock, (except this list is greyed out as you can't open files in the Trash).

This way, you can confirm the contents of the Trash before you click the "Empty Trash" menu item.

Only if the items are grayed out and can't be selected (folders could drill down though). Otherwise people will try to run apps or open documents that are in the Trash, something that does not work (for good reason). Apple discourages (and should) people from treating the Trash like it's just other folder.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Only if the items are grayed out and can't be selected (folders could drill down though).

That's basically what I said above. m.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    What Merovingian said plus the long overdue return of the Put Away-command. Thanks!
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

What Merovingian said plus the long overdue return of the Put Away-command. Thanks!

Bugger, this "Put Away" thing rings a bell, but what was it?

Alo, regarding the Trash menu, I don't like to click the Trash can to see its contents, and then empty it. Computers aren't supposed to get in the way...

Oh well, at least I don't use Windows. m.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Bugger, this "Put Away" thing rings a bell, but what was it?

After having selected one or several of the items in the Trash, Put Away was a menu command that returned them to the location they were previously in.

I seem to recall that this command wasn't limited to the Trash alone, but was accessible through the Finder system-wide. I could be wrong about that, though.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You're wrong.

That was one of the beefs I always had about it - the Trash was the *ONLY* place you could 'undo' a move. Now, we have 'undo' everywhere in the Finder... but, just like everywhere else, only for the last action performed.

Put Away worked at *any* time... the Trash remembered where each item originally came from.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You're wrong.

That was one of the beefs I always had about it - the Trash was the *ONLY* place you could 'undo' a move. Now, we have 'undo' everywhere in the Finder... but, just like everywhere else, only for the last action performed.

Put Away worked at *any* time... the Trash remembered where each item originally came from.

Didn't Put Away work with items on the desktop too? If I remember correctly, using Put Away on a desktop item moved it back to its original location (i.e. where it was before it was placed on the desktop).

-Heady
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You're wrong.

I stand corrected. They do say things appear better in memory, don't they?

I never liked calling it Put Away. I always felt (and Merovingian will agree ) that it isn't instantly apparent just what the command does. If Apple decides to return this functionality to the Mac OS - perhaps they should call it something else?
  • Reply 39 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heady

Didn't Put Away work with items on the desktop too? If I remember correctly, using Put Away on a desktop item moved it back to its original location (i.e. where it was before it was placed on the desktop).

-Heady

Hmmmm.... you may be right, I can't recall. Not ringing a bell, but it would make sense, since neither the Trash nor the Desktop at that time was an actual folder, but just a special tag...
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heady

This functionality is what I recalled upthread.

http://www.fact-index.com/m/ma/macintosh_finder.html

Quote:

A "Put Away" command premiered in System 7 which allowed users to drag icons from anywhere on their computer to the Desktop, use the file from the Desktop, and then scoot the file back to its original location with a single command. [...] The Put Away command could also be used as an alternate means to eject mounted floppy disks and CD-ROMs.