Latest Tiger builds sport new QuickTime controls, iCal 1.6, Font Book 2.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, so we were all partially right and partially wrong.

Put Away worked for Trash and Desktop, but not universally like Undo does.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    And Put Away was used to 'eject' disks properly instead of Eject....
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

All I want in iCal is one feature. Just one...

ALL I WANT APPLE is the option to have alarms automatically set on new appointments. As a busy exec, I don't always have ical in front of me. I need a reminder...

I agree. There should be an option to set a reminder by default, and also to set the default time before an event that the reminder should go off.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    iCal 1.6

I hope this means that:

- You can print ToDo's

- You can print individual events

- YOU CAN SYNC WITH A PALM - without the category problem.

If so I will pay for the upgrade just for this.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    I'm curious about the SpotLight feature in Address Book that was demonstrated during Paris Expo 2004. Phil clicked on a contact in Address Book and then he clicked on an option that said something like "Find files related to user". Once he clicked that, the system-wide SpotLight window opened and a bunch of files relating to that contact appeared (files, ical events, etc.).

I'm wondering if SpotLight is simply doing a search using the contact's name or if it can actually tell what files that contact sent to you. For example...

John Smith sends you a PDF via iChat that doesn't have his name mentioned anywhere. Would this file appear using the Address Book SpotLight feature or not?

Could someone who actually has Tiger maybe tell me "yes" or "no".

Mike
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Maybe.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    I love it when programs that download things put where they came from in the comments (via Get Info) tag. I think it was omniweb that would put the address for saved graphics and files there, and I think Gerry's ICQ might have put the user that a file came from in the comments tag. That way, the file would have the contact name and nothing special would have to be done for spotlight to work properly.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Well I have been told that SpotLight currently isn't able to search for any data stored in the comments tag. I put a lot of keywords and information in the comments field to help describe my files. I really hope that when Tiger is shipping that it is able to index and search this metadata.

Mike
  • Reply 49 of 82
    If it's not, then expect that hole to be plugged in less than 48 hours by someone else.

Spotlight lets you write plug-ins for new filetypes, metadata, etc.

OTOH, Comment fields are currently implemented as not-new-metadata, so I would assume that either they will be deprecated initially and ignored, or converted to the new metadata system and support through Spotlight in the more general way.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    I sure hope they do somehow integrate it with SpotLight better. Currently, there isn't a lot of ways to create metadata for your files, but the comments field would be a good start. It would allow you to put any piece of data you want in the text box.

For example...

For my PDF files, I usually keep my file names short and include the full title, author, and sometimes even when the PDF was published in the comments field.

This is all information that I would like to use SpotLight to search for.

Mike
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

And Put Away was used to 'eject' disks properly instead of Eject....

That was for pre-OS 8 Mac OS or "System". If I remember correctly, Mac OS 8 and onwards finally corrected this issue that would leave a ghosted disk icon if you used the eject command.

Pre-OS X was a tricky time...
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Okay, so we were all partially right and partially wrong.

Put Away worked for Trash and Desktop, but not universally like Undo does.

The advantage of Put Away was that it remembered what you did with that one file for a long time I think. With Undo, you have to use it more or less right after you first move the item(s). IIRC, I could put something on the desktop and three days later, choose "Put Away" to place it back where it came from. I don't recall really taking advantage of that if I have it right, but I could easily see how that would be handy.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Yup. Put Away was limited in scope, but unlimited in time. Undo is unlimited in scope, but limited in time.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:

If it's not, then expect that hole to be plugged in less than 48 hours by someone else.

Spotlight lets you write plug-ins for new filetypes, metadata, etc.

OTOH, Comment fields are currently implemented as not-new-metadata, so I would assume that either they will be deprecated initially and ignored, or converted to the new metadata system and support through Spotlight in the more general way.

I hope that is true. I've been trying out alot of project/organization apps to keep all of my files in some sort of order, but nothing really works well if it isn't at the system level.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Holy CRAP yes we need the Put Away command back. I mean come on now.

Quote:

I think Quicktime Player and DVD player should just merge. That would be awesome.

That's brilliant. Freakin' brilliant. 5 cool points to you!!!
  • Reply 56 of 82
    I don't know about combining those two. Maybe allowing QT player to play a DVD is nice, but creating a separate app that handles all the DVD watching with the nice remote, bookmarks, and such is the best route.

I like the idea of small apps that each do their job very well are integrated with each other. I don't always like having an app do a ton of tasks and all them being implemented so so. That's why I never have liked using Windows Media Player. Too much under one roof.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I don't know about combining those two. Maybe allowing QT player to play a DVD is nice, but creating a separate app that handles all the DVD watching with the nice remote, bookmarks, and such is the best route.

I like the idea of small apps that each do their job very well are integrated with each other. I don't always like having an app do a ton of tasks and all them being implemented so so. That's why I never have liked using Windows Media Player. Too much under one roof.

I agree. I think the best thing Apple can do is to leave these applications separate. m.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Ditto.

QuickTime Player is a media file/stream player with no frills. It handles many codecs and sources effortlessly.

DVD Player knows specifics about the structure of DVD format hierarchies such as menus and links. This is a superset of functionality over one small set of the possible codecs that QT can handle.

Quite different, really.

Now, I wouldn't mind a DVD Player-esque controller for QT playback... that'd be nice. But that's strictly an eye-candy UI issue, not what the program actually *does*.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:

Ditto.

QuickTime Player is a media file/stream player with no frills. It handles many codecs and sources effortlessly.

DVD Player knows specifics about the structure of DVD format hierarchies such as menus and links. This is a superset of functionality over one small set of the possible codecs that QT can handle.

Quite different, really.

Sort of analogous to integrating iTunes with GarageBand. Something I hope will never happen. m. :P
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Sort of analogous to integrating iTunes with GarageBand. Something I hope will never happen. m. :P

Not really...this is all analoguous to iTunes being able to read CDs.

There should be an app that brings DVD reading and QT file reading together. I don't think that app should be QuickTime Player but I think something along the lines of iFlix should be created.

HD will one day have enough capacity to easily hold dozens of movies. I know the laws regarding ripping movies are different than those for ripping CDs but once that's revised, people will be able to bring their laptops with a library of movies stored on the HD as well as well as watch homemade movies/clips. This all with the same app.