Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

No, no, that's an ADB connector!

• Reply 42 of 137
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Going to the Apple website made me think of fake, Photoshopped-up pictures that cover rumor forums all the time. Is that thing real? Very strange. I wish Apple would focus on computers as much as they focus on the "digital life." I see a new iPod on the Apple site almost as often as I visit. Now two on the same day? U2 and photo? Interesting...

While it's a nifty idea, it looks more like a toy than anything useful. Oh well...
  • Reply 43 of 137
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Digital Camera Rewiew made a very bad report of the Ipod Photo.

The ipod photo lacks a very important things : a card slot reader. It's a shame that the Ipod do not have this feature, if he had it, the Ipod photo would have been extremely usefull for all digital photographers, allowing them to back up their compact card in the Ipod Photo.

This thing just blows! I mean, who the hell is Apple marketing this thing to? They seem to be snubbing their noses at the large majority of people who either don't take pictures, take crappy pictures that no one wants to see, or has no friends to show pictures to.

Its just like Apple. The original iPod just pretended that everyone had music collections. Well, what's the point of buying one of those if you don't have a single CD, huh? And their iMac G5 assumes that you want one of those 'com-pu-ter' things. Where's the iMac for the people who don't want or need a computer, huh?

No wonder this company is going out of business....
  • Reply 44 of 137
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

This thing just blows! I mean, who the hell is Apple marketing this thing to? They seem to be snubbing their noses at the large majority of people who either don't take pictures, take crappy pictures that no one wants to see, or has no friends to show pictures to.

Its just like Apple. The original iPod just pretended that everyone had music collections. Well, what's the point of buying one of those if you don't have a single CD, huh? And their iMac G5 assumes that you want one of those 'com-pu-ter' things. Where's the iMac for the people who don't want or need a computer, huh?

i think you forgot your "sarcasm" tags.
  • Reply 45 of 137
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

this man has a mission
  • Reply 46 of 137
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Seriously though, the belkin card reader.. does it add the photos to the library on the ipod photo? or just stuff it in a folder which has to be added to the album later?

It's an extremely important issue, as this is supposed to take the place of a computer for on the road picture management.

I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add pictures away from a computer?
  • Reply 47 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    FYI, I've posted some screen details here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...49#post1102249

And you'll see I've posted there an image showing the REAL (pixel) size of the screen, so you can judge how fonts and thumbnails really look... Not bad at all!
  • Reply 48 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

It's an extremely important issue, as this is supposed to take the place of a computer for on the road picture management.

No, it isn't supposed to be for picture management at all--any more than the iPod is for managing your music library.

It's for VIEWING and SHARING your library. (Management is of course easier handled on a computer screen--for photos and music alike. And contacts, calendars, notes...)

If you want to MANAGE your library with only an iPod, that's a cool idea maybe, but that's just not what the iPod Photo is for.

The iPod remains an output--not input--device. Limited input (voice, photos) is available via accessories.
  • Reply 49 of 137
    That is amazing! Shame I have had my (own name engraved) iPod 4G for a month now, otherwise the 60GB woulda been the one. I'll just wait for the next incarnation (or the one after that).
  • Reply 50 of 137
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Digital Camera Rewiew made a very bad report of the Ipod Photo.

The ipod photo lacks a very important things : a card slot reader. It's a shame that the Ipod do not have this feature, if he had it, the Ipod photo would have been extremely usefull for all digital photographers, allowing them to back up their compact card in the Ipod Photo.

Apple doesn't make one, but you can buy them through the Apple store. In fact you can do it even without the iPod Photo. So I'm not sure that's a valid complaint, unless it's just the fact that it doesn't come standard. The problem with making it standard is that there are so many different camera storage media that everyone would want something different.
  • Reply 51 of 137
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I've got my 60 GB on order. I may have been happier with a simple 60 GB iPod (non-photo) at $500, though.
  • Reply 52 of 137
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

No, it isn't supposed to be for picture management at all--any more than the iPod is for managing your music library.

It's for VIEWING and SHARING your library. (Management is of course easier handled on a computer screen--for photos and music alike. And contacts, calendars, notes...)

If you want to MANAGE your library with only an iPod, that's a cool idea maybe, but that's just not what the iPod Photo is for.

The iPod remains an output--not input--device. Limited input (voice, photos) is available via accessories.

How about on-the fly albums or other stuff?

iPods can do this type of stuff with audio, is the iPod Photo just a bone thrown to the "omg color screens are the end-all!"

If the belkin can't meld with the album system, basically you'd have your photos on the ipod, but there's nothing you can do with them until you find another computer to work with.

I think that's a reasonable complaint, as it sure as heck couldn't be that complicated to figure out a way to do it.

In addition, there are other devices that play video out right now! and they're the size of ipods too.
  • Reply 53 of 137
    "10,000 prOn in your pocket"
  • Reply 54 of 137
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Seriously though, the belkin card reader.. does it add the photos to the library on the ipod photo? or just stuff it in a folder which has to be added to the album later?

It just puts them into a folder on your iPod. It doesn't add them to the Photo viewer, not yet.

Quote:

I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add pictures away from a computer?

Look at pictures on a tiny screen, plug it into a TV or projector and look at your pictures on those devices.
  • Reply 55 of 137
    \ I wonder if you could have the screen showing the album cover of the album your playing?

You know like maybe save a jpg image of the album cover and tie that into a playlist/slideshow.

Then when you play a album it will play a picture of the album cover.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 56 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibeetle

\ I wonder if you could have the screen showing the album cover of the album your playing?

You know like maybe save a jpg image of the album cover and tie that into a playlist/slideshow.

Then when you play a album it will play a picture of the album cover.

Just a thought.

You can.

Quote:

iPod Photo Shows Album Art, Too

When you take to the road with iPod Photo, you not only carry your music and photos with you. You also get to carry your album art. iTunes transfers it to iPod Photo along with your music and lets you view album covers in the Now Playing screen ? in living color, of course ? as you play your songs.

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/autosyncphotos.html
  • Reply 57 of 137
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Or how about:

I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add music away from a computer?

How has the iPod sold at all without those abilities?

Looks like some solid entries to the line-up. The Photo iPod is thicker still then the 60GB iPod but also offers more battery life. And the U2 iPod doesn't look that bad either. Cheers to Apple for a Tuesday with a ton of updates!

Love these days.
  • Reply 58 of 137
    Anyone have any real world photos on the new iPods?

I've only seen 1 of the the iPod photo in the sock.

p.s. The socks aren't very functional, but they are really cool! The color combos are the bets and they'll fit my mini perfectly!
  • Reply 59 of 137
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Where is the mic!!!!

Sigh.

Oh well. I have to get one to store pics of my girl on. It will keep me amused in class.

Now the mini looks REALLY out of date. It has to drop in price and jump in storage.

About the card reader: OK it needs one built in. Perhaps just the high end one. But instead of just a plain reader...why not...an expansion slot!!! And a new OS, and video playing, and it finally becomes a PDA. Add anything in. Hey, maybe even an add-on for a..phone! Like someone said, I think Apple is inching that way. They are just waiting for the iPod, cell phone, and PDA to merge. Now that I see how phones are evolving, I think Steve Jobs saw the big picture, and is executing right. Like I think amorph said, the new Apple knows how to execute. This was a good call. Except the mic grumble grumble...
  • Reply 60 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Where is the mic!!!!

built in behind the color screen. just yell at your ipod really loud as youre walking down the street.

(someone hide a video camera)