Apple introduces iPod Photo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
www.apple.com

yay ^_^

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    HAHA I betcha Ballmer is pissing his pants right about now!
  • Reply 2 of 137
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That red, & black biache will be mine!
  • Reply 3 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

iTunes 4.7

Hmmm, 4.6 seemed to show all of the new Euro stores. Wonder what this little upgrade brings.

Ooopsss. Okay. This little piece of info seems to explain it: iPod Photo works with iTunes 4.7, which was also released today.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    thinkthink Posts: 14member
    I'm still not sold on the red on black color scheme, but all in all those are some really great additions.

iPod Photo is something that's gonna be great for digital picture enthusiasts.

All in all, another great update from Apple!
  • Reply 5 of 137
    It also joins multiple tracks for gap-free listening. MANY people have wanted that for awhile. I think that is new anyway
  • Reply 6 of 137
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple's new iPod lets users carry their entire music & photo library in their pocket.

Apple today introduced iPod Photo, the newest member of the iPod family that lets users take their entire music and photo library with them wherever they go. iPod Photo can hold up to 25,000 digital photos alongside a user's music library and displays them on a high-resolution color screen, allowing users to scroll through their photo library almost instantly using iPod's patent pending Click Wheel.

The iPod Photo also lets users combine music and photos to create slideshows on the iPod, and features TV-out for sharing these creations on big screen televisions and projectors. iPod Photo comes in 40GB or 60GB models which hold up to 10,000 or 15,000 songs, and its extended battery life gives users up to 15 hours of music playback or up to 5 hours of slideshows.

"Having both your entire photo and music collections with you wherever you go is the next big thing," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Everyone has a digital camera and wants to enjoy and share their growing library of digital photos wherever they are. Unlike video content, photo content is free and abundant, and there are no copyright issues to deal with."

Featuring Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology, iPod Photo makes it easy for users to automatically download their entire digital music and digital photo library onto iPod and keep it up-to-date whenever it is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using FireWire or USB. Mac users can Auto-Sync their iPod with their photo library in iPhoto and Windows users can Auto-Sync their iPod with their photo collection in Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album or their My Pictures folder.

Pricing & Availability

The new 40GB and 60GB iPod Photo models will begin shipping today for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) and $599 (US) respectively, through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. iPod Photo includes a dock with audio and video out, earbud headphones, 1.4m AV cable, 1.2m 30-pin to FireWire cable, a 1.2m 30-pin to USB cable, AC adapter, black carrying case and a CD with iTunes 4.7 for Mac and Windows computers.
  • Reply 7 of 137
    so other than copyright issues, what are the chanes of seeing video on an ipod?
  • Reply 8 of 137
    herbherb Posts: 7member
    Anyone notice the svideo connectoer on the iPod Photo dock:

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/autosyncphotos.html
  • Reply 9 of 137
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's not the red thats impressive, but I like. Once I have it it will probably look better. I just like the fact there is a black one. I wonder if it's like gun metal black?
  • Reply 10 of 137
    herbherb Posts: 7member
    Take a look at the dock. Is that a s-video connector I see there?

• Reply 11 of 137
    Can we get some thread merging please?
  • Reply 12 of 137
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Noteworthy, Apple has managed to not only include an improved *color* screen, which likely is significantly more power-hungry than the old one, but also increase the battery life from twelve to fifteen hours. Impressive!
  • Reply 13 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Noteworthy, Apple has managed to not only include an improved *color* screen, which likely is significantly more power-hungry than the old one, but also increase the battery life from twelve to fifteen hours. Impressive!

Typical Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If the color iPod had a visualizer, I'd be sold.

Or if it showed movies.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If the color iPod had a visualizer, I'd be sold.

Or if it showed movies.

I think Apple is slowly "inching" the functionality up. Video would be way too much right now.

They looked and said..."Gee...60GB is an awful lot for most music collections...what else can we get on there?" Photos were the answer. They have all of the pieces in place to do SOMEthing related to video here (though I am doubtful about playback on the little screen...more likely through the TV as with the iPod Photo slide shows.)

Two years from now when the 60GB iPod Photo is the low-end ($299) of the line...perhaps the high end will be looking foer still more functionality.

P.S. As an aside...I am a tad surprised they didn't do an iPhoto Windows. Of course they didn't do that right away with iTunes either so...perhaps they are hedging here...wait to see how much people want this...then...MAYBE...port iPhoto.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    joe ojoe o Posts: 32member
    An iPod with an aqua interface... drool. When this interface becomes the standard one the rest of the iPods and prices drop a little, I'm there. Awesome! This is the first product in a while that I've even wanted to write in a thread about. I've always thought if my cell phone could have a really nice color interface, why can't the iPod. Then they went and aqua-fied it! I love it!
  • Reply 17 of 137
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by herb

Take a look at the dock. Is that a s-video connector I see there?

It certainly is. And there's a picture of the iPod connected to a TV. But I can't find mention of the video port anywhere.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    I think it is nice, but 600 dollars... That is a huge chunk of change. I guess the 500 dollar unit is a bit better on price, but I can say now I will not be buying one of these. All I want Apple to make is one of these with recording, I have said it for quite a while and will continue to say it. It would be such a good edition to their pro market. Say a 30 or 40 gig recording iPod for 400 dollars. Surely that is not too hard to do, and to do it right. Maybe they could be the first to allow higher than cd quality recording, or Apple Loseless. Those are my thoughts.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Meh, looks like the skip protection is down from "Up to 25 minutes" to "Up to 17 minutes" on the iPod Photo. But on the bright side the battery life is up to 15 hours.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It certainly is. And there's a picture of the iPod connected to a TV. But I can't find mention of the video port anywhere.

It looks like the iPod Photo comes with a composite AV cable which plugs into the headphone port of the iPod or the line out port of the dock. I guess the SVideo port on the dock is there if you want a better picture (though I guess you'd still need the audio from the composite cable as well).

Things I'd like to see them do:
    • Make a cable for connecting the iPod directly to a camera, rather than having to go through the Belkin media card adapter. Most cameras seem to have the same mini-USB connectors it seems.

• Allow the iPod to sync these new pictures back to the location you set the place you sync from on the computer.

• How about giving Keynote the ability to export a presentation to a slideshow in iPhoto, which then syncs onto your iPod?

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel